Lt. Commander
Have you ever wished you could change the color of your energy weapons. I know that when I use disruptors on my Federation ship I wished they would look like phasers. With the Spiral Waves, I'm somewhat sated. But a friend has also complained that they think the Antiprotons available to players should look like those on the Undine ships. So what if we were given the ability to change the color of our cannon/beam weapons? Would there be a huge demand for such? Here is one possible idea:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/863...erectifier.jpg

Essentially a device is added to your ship giving you the choice to select a new color for your energy weapons. Choices are available from the existing energy weapons and perhaps a few more custom options that don't already exist for colors. Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Something like this was in during beta, back the using command lines but it was removed for a reason.
As far as I know it was because CBS told them Phasers had to look colour x
and Disruptors had to look colour y etc.
They're unlikely to add something into the game after removing it for this very reason.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Yeah, it was CBS that wanted each weapon to have a specific color associated with it.

There's a lot of things Cryptic could sell to make money that CBS doesn't seem to let them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Ahh, what a shame. Well we could technically argue that the established colors of phasers (yellow-orange), disruptors (green) and all the others are remaining the same, its just that we can now change the colors of the other weapons to match them. And it requires a physical device to do it. And perhaps the device costs C-points? Cha-ching CBS? Want me to make the sound again? *cha-ching*

Maybe Cryptic could argue it, maybe not. Oh well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Alexander
Ahh, what a shame. Well we could technically argue that the established colors of phasers (yellow-orange), disruptors (green) and all the others are remaining the same, its just that we can now change the colors of the other weapons to match them. And it requires a physical device to do it. And perhaps the device costs C-points? Cha-ching CBS? Want me to make the sound again? *cha-ching*

Maybe Cryptic could argue it, maybe not. Oh well.
The point is that when you fire a green beam at me I need to know it's a disruptor and not a chicken sandwich, which I can't know when you change the colour irrespecive of the method.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
The point is that when you fire a green beam at me I need to know it's a disruptor and not a chicken sandwich, which I can't know when you change the colour irrespecive of the method.
Well in the case of PvP then, the devices could be disabled. Logically though in the same situation, someone would probably have a more useful device instead of this one.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Alexander
Well in the case of PvP then, the devices could be disabled. Logically though in the same situation, someone would probably have a more useful device instead of this one.
1. Do we need stuff that's not useable in PvP?
2. People don't always act logically
3. CBS already said no
4. In a team PvE zone like an STF you'd still not know what you ally has until you explicitly asked him, would you deactivate it there as well?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
It should be a client-only option. Only the player himself sees the color changes.

This would be useful for color blind players. I personally have issues when in a green nebula and I start getting shot at by phasers and disruptors.. I cant really see where the heck the fire is coming from until Ive visually scanned the sky to spot the icons.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSkyfaller
It should be a client-only option. Only the player himself sees the color changes.

This would be useful for color blind players. I personally have issues when in a green nebula and I start getting shot at by phasers and disruptors.. I cant really see where the heck the fire is coming from until Ive visually scanned the sky to spot the icons.
Maybe it would be good a proposal for something like this in the "Controls and User Interface" section as a gameplay enhancement for the, no offense intended, visually impaired.