Lt. Commander
# 21
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Then it's settled. I'll go see the movie and make up my own mind.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nONLY_DRock View Post
Then it's settled. I'll go see the movie and make up my own mind.
Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
WarpVis you're a fountain of information! Any ideas when JC is coming to BluRay? Seriously.
I do not know when John Carter is coming out on Blu-Ray, but I signed up on Amazon to be notified by e-mail when it does.

As far as being a fountain of information, I am just enthusiastic. In truth, while I have read and heard a lot about the John Carter series, i have not actually read that many of the actual novels. i ran acros "Chessmen of Mars" about 20 years ago and read it, liked it, and put the series on my list of things to read, just had not had the real oportunity.

Then I heard about the "John Carter" film, so I decided to read "A Princess of Mars" and liked it a lot, then saw the "John Carter" film, and it has been a very long time since I found a movie experience so satisfying.

I just want others to now about this great film, and of Edgar Rice Burroughs' other great hero.

I do recommend everybody read the novel. While the film is very faithful, Tars Tarkus, Sola, and Kantos Kan have much larger roles in the novel, and there is much discussion about Martian culture. I find that the film and the novel complement eachother nicely.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
I watched John Carter this past weekend and it was great! I am going back this weekend and taking some friends with me.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Not the comic, the Novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

A Princess of Mars

In the novel, there was far more exposition about John Carter's state of mind, about why emotionally he was ready to leave Earth and make Mars his home, and about the cultures of Barsoom. They streamlined the story, and made changes that conveyed the emotional state in a more concise manner. There were things that were cut, but if they were added I am hard pressed to name what could else could be cut to allow additional material to be added.
Ah, well the comic of A Princess of Mars has been around for some years now, I suspected that the movie was semi-influenced by that as well then.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Went to John Carter today and it was an excellent romp.

It stays faithful to the source material while not being exact to the letter. There are changes to the story, but most of these were done to provide emotional context without massive exposition and to provided needed compression to fit within a 2 hour feature.

If you like swashbuckling and carnage, adventure and thrills on a grand scale this film is for you.
Agreed. I really liked the movie overall.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Ah, well the comic of A Princess of Mars has been around for some years now, I suspected that the movie was semi-influenced by that as well then.
The movie may very well have been influenced by those comics, by the comics from the 1940s, or from the newspaper strip before that. I was clarifying my statement that the movie was true to the novel written in 1911 when I said the movie was faithful to the story.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Gathered a small busload of people and watched it again. It is even better the second time.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I enjoyed the movie a lot. It seemed well-paced, lacking any serious plot holes, and had a fantastic setting. Also, knowing that the source material is from the early 20th century puts a lot of other Science Fiction I learned to like in a new light.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Loved It!!!!!!