Lt. Commander
# 31
03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I'm not with you with John Carter.

Here is my problem: It fell in with a Bad Theme for movies lately.

What I mean by Bad Theme;

Cowboys vs Aliens... Horrible movie. I felt sorry for Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde for getting involved in that... thing...

Outlander, which is basically Vikings vs Aliens, a B movie with a decent budget.

Now John Carter....
I admit, I know nothing about him other than the movie trailers, but I can't help but add it to the previous bad theme. Why?
I look at the trailer and see: Conan vs Aliens...
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post

Cowboys vs Aliens... Horrible movie. I felt sorry for Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde for getting involved in that... thing...

Outlander, which is basically Vikings vs Aliens, a B movie with a decent budget.

Now John Carter....
I admit, I know nothing about him other than the movie trailers, but I can't help but add it to the previous bad theme. Why?
I will grant you that the trailers suck. This film is soooooo much better than those trailers. If nothing else "John Carter" is a good fun entertaining two hours.

PS: John Carter predates Conan the Barbarian by 20 years.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
I was pleased and actually a bit surprised that they didn't "update" the story and move it to the present, as Hollywood usually can't resist that sort of thing.
Yes the story does start in the West, but that doesn't really influence the Martian setting and Carter doesn't come off as some cowboy stereotype once he gets there.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
I will grant you that the trailers suck. This film is soooooo much better than those trailers. If nothing else "John Carter" is a good fun entertaining two hours.

PS: John Carter predates Conan the Barbarian by 20 years.
If you hadn't said something about it, i wouldn't have guessed at it's antiquity.

After reading reading (thank you wikipedia) a bit about the first story featuring John Carter [A Princess of Mars (1912)] and seeing that same year that Edgar Rice Burroughs published his first Tarzan novel [Tarzan of the Apes (1912)], makes me think I should revise my statement.

Tarzan vs Aliens

(John Clayton aka Tarzan - John Carter)
John Clayton adopted by the Apes "tribe"
John Carter - adopted into the martian tribes

John Clayton - a hard "ape" life makes him strong and agile for a human, he is revered as a vengeful forrest spirit by the black tribes
John Carter - Mars (Barsooms) low gravity makes him super strong and agile, his prowess earns him esteam

John Clayton - deals with Ape "chief" Kerchak, and black settler tribes, eventually becomes "King Ape"
John Carter - deals with feuding martian tribes, becomes Prince of Helium
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
If you hadn't said something about it, i wouldn't have guessed at it's antiquity.

After reading reading (thank you wikipedia) a bit about the first story featuring John Carter [A Princess of Mars (1912)] and seeing that same year that Edgar Rice Burroughs published his first Tarzan novel [Tarzan of the Apes (1912)], makes me think I should revise my statement.

Tarzan vs Aliens

(John Clayton aka Tarzan - John Carter)
John Clayton adopted by the Apes "tribe"
John Carter - adopted into the martian tribes

John Clayton - a hard "ape" life makes him strong and agile for a human, he is revered as a vengeful forrest spirit by the black tribes
John Carter - Mars (Barsooms) low gravity makes him super strong and agile, his prowess earns him esteam

John Clayton - deals with Ape "chief" Kerchak, and black settler tribes, eventually becomes "King Ape"
John Carter - deals with feuding martian tribes, becomes Prince of Helium
Or more accurately Tarzn is a John Carter of the Jungle (John Carter came first)

I also feel obligated to point out that there has never been a production of Tarzan that was even close to the source material.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
It would seem that Disney is finally recognizing the porr marketing, but it may be too little too late.

Disney belatedly discovers that people liked John Carterís dog
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA2513
It would seem that Disney is finally recognizing the porr marketing, but it may be too little too late.

Disney belatedly discovers that people liked John Carterís dog
The trailers definately could have used more Woola, and more Dejah Thoris as well.

I also think they should have started out telling people who John Carter was.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Just read a CNN article that JC ended up a box office bomb.

Perhaps, if they named it Warlord of Mars, there would be better recognition.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Quote:

Now John Carter....
The movie compares more with Cowboys and Aliens than Conan vs Aliens. Truth be told both films were outstanding a very well made. Once you pass teh quirky theme and see it for what it is, sci fi, the joy ride begins.

I was like you, I thought Cowboys and Aliens was too strange a theme - but I gave it a chance, digested the story and found out I enjoyed it very much - I enjoyed John Carter even more so, especially since the movie is based off a story written even before the great sci fi - such as Star wars etc...

The whole alien vs cowboys theme is nothing new, it has been done before and I've learned to appreciate the theme. There was an old 1970 serial that had cowboys dragged into a futurisitic sci fi theme, it was quite entertaining. If someone remembers the name I'll be in your debt since I completely forgot the name.

I think it may have been called Cliffhanger - but I might be wrong. Another of my favorite sci fi western genre was Wild Wild West ---> and NO I speak not of that horrible film Will Smith starred in. I mean the 70's serial.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
The movie compares more with Cowboys and Aliens than Conan vs Aliens. Truth be told both films were outstanding a very well made. Once you pass teh quirky theme and see it for what it is, sci fi, the joy ride begins.

I was like you, I thought Cowboys and Aliens was too strange a theme - but I gave it a chance, digested the story and found out I enjoyed it very much - I enjoyed John Carter even more so, especially since the movie is based off a story written even before the great sci fi - such as Star wars etc...

The whole alien vs cowboys theme is nothing new, it has been done before and I've learned to appreciate the theme. There was an old 1970 serial that had cowboys dragged into a futurisitic sci fi theme, it was quite entertaining. If someone remembers the name I'll be in your debt since I completely forgot the name.

I think it may have been called Cliffhanger - but I might be wrong. Another of my favorite sci fi western genre was Wild Wild West ---> and NO I speak not of that horrible film Will Smith starred in. I mean the 70's serial.
I believe that you speak of The Secret Empire from the TV series Cliffhangers which was an hour long program inspired by the old movie serial format with 3 segments each ending in a cliffhanger every week. The other two were Stop Susan Williams and The Curse of Dracula.

The Secret Empire was much like The Phantom Empire , an old Gene Autry serial.