Lt. Commander
# 41
03-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
Just read a CNN article that JC ended up a box office bomb.

Perhaps, if they named it Warlord of Mars, there would be better recognition.
The marketing for John Carter completely sucked and did not do this film justice.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Here's an interesting article about what went wrong with the marketing and trailers.

The inside story of how John Carter was doomed by it's first trailer
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
The first trailer should have been like this:

From the imagination of Edgar Rice Burroughs
Creator and Author of Tarzan

Brought to the screen by Andrew Stanton
The creative mind behind “Finding Nemo” and “WALL-E”

The first epic Sci-Fi Hero who served as the inspiration to the likes of Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, and Superman:
Finally!
One Hundred years after his first publication!
Comes
John Carter
Of
Mars
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post

The first epic Sci-Fi Hero who served as the inspiration to the likes of Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, and Superman:
Finally!
Comes
John Carter
Of
Mars
That would have been much better.
Lt. Commander
Who would have predicted that Disney would be in the Sci-fi biz, think about it prior to Avatar, Disney was
cranking out movies like the Tigger Movie and other kid things and they think they can get into Sci-fi, they
also did Wall-E. Im seeing a growing trend, Disney's Sci-fi movies are not the sci-fi movies we expect like
the big ones: Star Trek Wraith of Khan, Star Wars Episode 4, Battlestar Galactica (1970). They are politically charged or in other words they focus on green things like being ECO friendly and very liberal, you got to watch it and really listen. When i first seen previews it looked like the Gladiator and Star Wars melded together. So far its disappointing the Avatar show was also politically charged. The point of Sci-fi is exploration and fun or in the case of Star Wars mythology or Star Trek and Galactica science and the human condition. So i have little hopes for John Carter due to the track record of previous movies. Besides we wrote the book for this genre.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake477
Who would have predicted that Disney would be in the Sci-fi biz, think about it prior to Avatar, Disney was
cranking out movies like the Tigger Movie and other kid things and they think they can get into Sci-fi, they
also did Wall-E. Im seeing a growing trend, Disney's Sci-fi movies are not the sci-fi movies we expect like
the big ones: Star Trek Wraith of Khan, Star Wars Episode 4, Battlestar Galactica (1970). They are politically charged or in other words they focus on green things like being ECO friendly and very liberal, you got to watch it and really listen. When i first seen previews it looked like the Gladiator and Star Wars melded together. So far its disappointing the Avatar show was also politically charged. The point of Sci-fi is exploration and fun or in the case of Star Wars mythology or Star Trek and Galactica science and the human condition. So i have little hopes for John Carter due to the track record of previous movies. Besides we wrote the book for this genre.
I am not sure who your are refering to when you say "Besides we wrote the book for this genre", but "John Carter" is 100 years old and kicks butt.

What you may want to do is look to Disney's ability to bring literary classics, even sci-fi classics to the screen. Though it has been a long time "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" still holds up to today as a sci-fi masterpiece, both the Jules Verne book and the Disney movie. "John Carter" is a return to that fine tradition.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake477
While I am sure you could find some green messaging or eco friendly messaging if you looked hard enough (I suspect that could be said about any film) John Carter is most certainly NOT about that. There is no in your face beat you about the head and shoulders messaging. John Carter is about good old fashion fun, which is something about half the critics out there is unfamiliar with.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post

Finally!
Comes
John Carter
Of
Mars
*DING!* Well-written.

I was commisserating with my friends who I watched the film with. We're rather disgusted that the only real press this movie continues to get is about its failure. While this isn't the first movie to be screwed in such a fashion, it really is the industry which failed the movie.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Just finished reading Star Trek Online: The Needs of The Many by Michael R. Martin & Jake Sisko.

The best part is the last chapter Moving Forward Starfleet Brats (Or: How I learned to Love War Preparedness and Stop Worrying About the Undine). Starting on page 361 Jake Sisko, Data Rod #P-63 with Jake Sisko’s description of the Red Planet and continuing throughout his interview with Rene’ Jacques Robert Francois Picard ( son of Jean-Luc Picard and Beverly Crusher) there are numerous references to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Barsom and Tharks. Easily the best chapter in the entire book.
Lt. Commander
# 50
04-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
*DING!* Well-written.

I was commisserating with my friends who I watched the film with. We're rather disgusted that the only real press this movie continues to get is about its failure. While this isn't the first movie to be screwed in such a fashion, it really is the industry which failed the movie.
I am in so much agreement with this.