Lt. Commander
# 1 STF loot proposal.
03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
With seeing so many people in total and utter frustration over the fact that after a couple hundred runs they have yet to even find one Prototype Tech piece, I've been thinking of ways that would keep it a grind, yet make it more attainable after awhile.

My idea would be to take that accolade for completing a certain STF 50 times, such as Cure.. and when you have obtained that accolade you get an increase in chance for the prototype tech in Cure ground and space to drop. Same for the 100 mark.. another increase in chance.. so at least if you haven't found what your looking for the first 100 times.. you now know that you have better odds of finding it during your next 100 attempts.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
How bout just make Mk XII loot available for higher amounts of EDC? 80 - 100 EDC would make for longer grinds, but at LEAST for something more tangible at the end of the road, than relying on a all but broken in game calculator (I.e. luck,) for loot drops.

And this after outfitting my ships in mk XII gear, I still don't like it, on the basis OF other players being hosed. I think an EDC change is needed at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
from my exp with cryptic, what one of their dev's told me and from what people who been here from the start say...they probably wont fix anything like this, theres no direct profit in it for them to do so.

it would take time/effort and that time/effort could be better put to projects creatime cstore items.

sorry but every perposal to fix the stf issues have been ignored, hard to find a way to make fixing the situation profitable.....its not like they can charge people 1 cstore point per cue for stf's(or even elites...)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
from my exp with cryptic, what one of their dev's told me and from what people who been here from the start say...they probably wont fix anything like this, theres no direct profit in it for them to do so.

it would take time/effort and that time/effort could be better put to projects creatime cstore items.

sorry but every perposal to fix the stf issues have been ignored, hard to find a way to make fixing the situation profitable.....its not like they can charge people 1 cstore point per cue for stf's(or even elites...)
I agree with you in that it is likely Cryptic's stance on the topic, they certainly do not care to give me a response to my request. However time and money is a B.S. excuse when as a developer myself.. making a change like this is just rewriting some of the coding of the current scripts, not creating and implementing totally new scripts. If they are qualified to do the job they are doing, they could implement my idea in a couple hours time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleaic_Kerensky
How bout just make Mk XII loot available for higher amounts of EDC? 80 - 100 EDC would make for longer grinds, but at LEAST for something more tangible at the end of the road, than relying on a all but broken in game calculator (I.e. luck,) for loot drops.

And this after outfitting my ships in mk XII gear, I still don't like it, on the basis OF other players being hosed. I think an EDC change is needed at this point.
Although this is sort of a good idea, I think that the using any amount of EDCs for XII tech would diminish the value of that tech. Plus, people would just play one specific STF (like cure space normal for instance) until they get the XII tech. Then we would have people running around with elite maco gear that have never played a single elite STF.

I like the spirit of the original post. We want to KEEP the grind/difficulty of STFs. But reward the persistent and faithful players. I agree with the OP, I think that using accolades to incrementally increase the chance of a tech drop is probably the best idea. Plus, you still have to play each elite STF to get each of the pieces of proto tech.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japfi
I agree with you in that it is likely Cryptic's stance on the topic, they certainly do not care to give me a response to my request. However time and money is a B.S. excuse when as a developer myself.. making a change like this is just rewriting some of the coding of the current scripts, not creating and implementing totally new scripts. If they are qualified to do the job they are doing, they could implement my idea in a couple hours time.
the problem isnt likely the dev's, they would probably like to take alot of our ideas and run with them, but management dosnt want that, they view it as wasted time, time better spent on the next slew of cstore items and the next box event.

I posted a good way to fix all the stf problems, a buddy of min who use to script for a major p2p mmo said what I suggested would take a few hours to implement, just tiering the stf's and making it so there are a more tiers, also altered the drop rates (click my name and posts i made, look for spitballing) could fix all the issues from new 50's entering elites to the horrible drop rates...

but again, cryptic management seems to think that few hours would be better spent editing item scripts to add another new ship/shuttle/exct they can sell in cstore.... *shakes head*
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2012, 07:39 PM
The grind/drop rate for Prototype Tech pieces is nothing compared to the grind for endgame gear in a lot of other MMOs (I played the hell out of ****).

I've found two over a two week period of heavy play -- pretty lucky. But even if you aren't lucky, you can grind out XI gear just fine which is almost as good. IMO XII Special Requisitions are more of a status symbol than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ID-Dang
Although this is sort of a good idea, I think that the using any amount of EDCs for XII tech would diminish the value of that tech. Plus, people would just play one specific STF (like cure space normal for instance) until they get the XII tech. Then we would have people running around with elite maco gear that have never played a single elite STF.

I like the spirit of the original post. We want to KEEP the grind/difficulty of STFs. But reward the persistent and faithful players. I agree with the OP, I think that using accolades to incrementally increase the chance of a tech drop is probably the best idea. Plus, you still have to play each elite STF to get each of the pieces of proto tech.
Just to comment on the bolded part, that's actually already a problem with the current setup. As it is, for myself- for example- I already have the Protos from KA and Infected, which means I'm literally stuck grindind Cure with no incentive to ever go into KA or Infected again, despite the fact that I enjoy both immensely. With the current setup, I'm pigeonholed into playing only for what I need; if there was some alternate method then It would actually give me flexibility to play everything, not just "the one I'm grinding."

Heck, if you're worried about the diminished value on the concept that you could technically grind normals for elite gear, then don't even apply it to EDC. I'd even take trading in 10-20 Proto Salvage for a Special Req Gear piece. That ensures that you have to play Elites to get it, but still gives you *some* alternative than sheer luck. With the way drop rates and RNG is for some people they could fit 3-4 ships and an entire away team in full regular XII gear before completing a set of M.A.C.O./Omega/Honor Guard.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
An alternate for getting MK XII would be nice, but unlikely to happen. If I could wish on a star and have it come true I would like for three levels of STFs normal, veteran, and elite with each dropping a tiered EDC uncommon, rare, and very rare. With each EDC being for each mark so like MK X for normal, MK XI for veteran, and MK XII for Elites. This way you still have to grind if you have regular luck or if your lucky you get the tech drop. This also solve or mitigates the inexperienced jumping into elites, because you could make and accolade, say ten completion of each, to unlock the next level.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingash
... Heck, if you're worried about the diminished value on the concept that you could technically grind normals for elite gear, then don't even apply it to EDC. I'd even take trading in 10-20 Proto Salvage for a Special Req Gear piece. That ensures that you have to play Elites to get it, but still gives you *some* alternative than sheer luck. With the way drop rates and RNG is for some people they could fit 3-4 ships and an entire away team in full regular XII gear before completing a set of M.A.C.O./Omega/Honor Guard.
That is also a viable option. I think though, that what the original post proposes is option that "both sides" (cryptic and the users) can compromise on. It is a reasonable alternative that I feel that cryptic would actually consider.