Lt. Commander
# 1 Puzzle Difficulty
03-11-2012, 08:28 AM
So how difficult is too difficult? I realize that it will be different for each player, but at some point there must be a minimum difficulty level as far as puzzles go.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2012, 09:33 AM
For me it's not the difficulty of the puzzles, but rather the frequency of them that diminishes my enjoyment of a mission. I think that was my biggest problem with the latest FE series, just too many puzzles.

So I would say make them as difficult as you like, but don't do too many in one missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2012, 05:23 PM
My approach to puzzles is generally to make it so there's a way to bypass them, or have an officer tell you how to solve them. That way if someone is just not digging it, or can't figure it out, they have a way to more or less skip it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Dunno. I'm yet to find a puzzle in the game that required me to even comprehend English. Trial-and-error seemed faster than following what I'm actually doing.

So I had to restrain myself in clicking and actually minding the plot. :-]
Lt. Commander
When creating a story for the foundry, I think it is important as a writer to create the story you want to play. If other people like it or understand what your trying to do with puzzles, then good. If some people cannot figure out the puzzles, then tough.

My philosophy on puzzles or what I term "tension creators' are necessary parts of good story telling. In this type of story telling, you have three factors you as a writer must be aware of; game logic, story logic, and movie/TV logic.

If people wanted to play a story where they just hit one button and the mission is over, they probably would not play the foundry. I actually made a Foundry story where the player hits one button and they win.

I would think that most of your serious gamers would not mind a difficult puzzle to solve.

However, in the end, what you are trying to do has to be fun.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-16-2012, 03:59 AM
That's probably a good point. It depends on what you're going for. If you think having a tough puzzle is important for the experience then go for it.

Personally I don't think it's that important. I think it's good to challenge the player if they're up for it, but if they're not then I just give them a pass. That's just my opinion though, it's not any more right or wrong than yours.

You have to decide how important it is to you that the player figures out the puzzle and then act accordingly. Just do keep in mind that a lot of puzzles can end up being harder for the player than expected by the designer who knows the "obvious" answer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-17-2012, 11:34 AM
The problem I find in the puzzle is that not everyone speaks English (is weird right?) With some missions where I could not understand the puzzle I could not finish it, even one that is in the challenges of casting if you hit the puzzle you had to redo the entire mission again.

I prefer the option to choose to solve it automatically or simply put,-- using the tricorder, we are in the twenty-fourth century--.

I believe in my mission to always put that option, if you want you are using and if you heat up the head, play for fun, not to catch a headache.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-17-2012, 11:38 AM
When I hit the puzzle in the Risa mission, it was like hitting a brick wall. Maybe I was easily confused that night, but I appreciated the option to skip it.

Is there a way that the directions could be clearer? For example, if the instructions included a different puzzle, showing how it all added up to 9 diagonal, horizontal, etc. Then, I could turn to the puzzle for 15 and think, "OK, I think that I understand."
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-17-2012, 01:19 PM
I've done a few puzzle solving things, but mainly stuff that revolves around platforming type stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
When I hit the puzzle in the Risa mission, it was like hitting a brick wall. Maybe I was easily confused that night, but I appreciated the option to skip it.

Is there a way that the directions could be clearer? For example, if the instructions included a different puzzle, showing how it all added up to 9 diagonal, horizontal, etc. Then, I could turn to the puzzle for 15 and think, "OK, I think that I understand."
Unfortunately, that magic square is the simplest one. I guess I can try to explain it a bit better, but I'm not really sure how to without solving it for the player.