1) STO under Cryptic did not go bankrupt. It was Perpetual Entertainment, who was developing the game from 2004 to 2008, that went bankrupt in January 2008. Cryptic officially announced they were taking over STO in July 2008 and STO launched in February 2010. Timeline corrected.
2) Lifetime subs and gold subscribers still spend money in the C-store. A 400 C-point per month stipend doesn't go that far. It's the equivalent of buying five bucks in C-points. So yes, maybe lifers and gold subs functionally "spend" $5/month less than free players. However lifetime subs have already shelled out $300 for the most part (with a few spending less when they were on sale). Gold subs are spending $15/month and getting their stipend and the perks of being gold members. You can't assume that the free players are the only ones spending money in the C-store. Actually, in my fleet, they are the more discerning shoppers and tend to look for the best bang for their buck. But as a whole, even our gold players and lifetime subs are still spending cash like the silver players.
3) The Season 5/F2P version of STO was tested on the Tribble test server starting on September 29th, 2011. So yes, there was a beta. However, only paying players & lifetime subs were able to participate.
So that's some misinformation and assumptions corrected.
1) STO bankrupt...cryptic bought it...wait i said that already didnt imply that cryptic did it.
glad you can wiki.
2) I didnt imply that gold players dont buy cryptic points or that f2p players pay more that subscription players. I said maybe more which means there are some that probably do and probably dont. It's not a fact....its a possible truth. Either way f2p players are still paying for content and services and addons. Its the gold and lifetime members that are having the issue cause omg someone else like myself who has been playing for about a month doesnt deserve to play evern though I've dropped about $50 into the game. So to say Gold members are better that Silver is not only ignorant its irrelevant. everyone has given something back to cryptic.
3) Ok so there was a beta f2p version...kinda shot themselves in the foot with that logic though...a closed beta...what were they thinking...I have to agree
You know i dont post that often but i find this very humorous. Ive read alot of posts from some people that say "this game sucks" "what a waste of money" "crytic this and that" and my favorite "im not gonna resub!!!"
All i have to say is ok, and buh bye! Nobody cares if ur feelings have gotten so butt hurt about a crash or two that ur going to stop subing and spending money. Quite honestly I dont and I am sure many people here do not not care. Its a crash, so what ? Welcome to the frickin digital age where this does tend to happen lol. Get over it, it is just a game and go find something to do until the server is back up! Until then See ya pvp'ers in the arena when it comes back online! PEW PEW!
I call "BS" on you. You received Prototype Tech twice in 50 attempts? Right. Liar Liar Pants on Fire. The loot tables are so bad you couldn't have received 2 in 50 tries. Maybe if you said 2 in 500 we would have believed you. rofl
I hear a lot of people discussing technical stuff here, and I don't know jack about any of that. What I do understand is the value of my dollar.
What the heck are you guys doing with my money? Make my product work- NO excuses.
Median Salary of a Programmer in the United States: Roughly $80,000 USD. Number of programmers for a game like this? A lot. They probably dump a million or more a year, USD, into this game... I wouldn't complain about a bit of downtime to fix a serious issue.