Lt. Commander
Just a thought, but I have been reading the "Unexpected Downtime" thread for today and noticed a lot of people getting really mad about the crashes. So here is my suggestion. What if you (Cryptic) gave every player who was online when the server crashed 100 C-Points? Hmm. It does not cost you anything to give up C-points as they are a made up currency, no one can really but anything with 100 C-points, BUT if everyone got them when the servers crashed there would likely be a lot less people *****ing and moaning about it and likely a lot more posts like

"Well looking forward to my 100 c-points, 5 more crashes I get my ship!"

Granted it is not likely anyone from Cryptic will see this post, and even more unlikely they would consider it, but in my opinion, it would be a nice gesture to the STO community (your customers) that you are actually sorry for the crashes and even though you are trying to fix this issue, you value the gamers who keep your game alive and hope that they would accept your gift as an apology for the downtime.

Now don't you think that would make your player happy? I know I personally would not mind the game crashing if I knew I was gonna have a free 100 points in my pocket.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Nice thought, but sadly, never going to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Not gonna happen...

But lets say it would (wich it won't): Only subscribers should get the 100 CP... you get what you pay for...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2012, 01:57 AM
No, it would be silly. The server crashes for a few hours and you guys want free C-points? You realize it's a game, not a job, right? You don't get paid salary to play the game, and if you're subscribing, a couple of hours is still no big deal. A couple of days? Yes. Otherwise, if Cryptic decided it would pay you in C-points, then you should get 2 cents worth of C-points for every hour the server is down, since that is the rate per hour you're paying.

Compensation for a couple of hours unable to play a game. Yeesh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek2165
No, it would be silly. The server crashes for a few hours and you guys want free C-points? You realize it's a game, not a job, right? You don't get paid salary to play the game, and if you're subscribing, a couple of hours is still no big deal. A couple of days? Yes. Otherwise, if Cryptic decided it would pay you in C-points, then you should get 2 cents worth of C-points for every hour the server is down, since that is the rate per hour you're paying.

Compensation for a couple of hours unable to play a game. Yeesh.
Why so serious... This is clearly a "meh... not gonna happen, so I just say it anyways" thread...

Don't go all fuzzy about it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Why so serious... This is clearly a "meh... not gonna happen, so I just say it anyways" thread...

Don't go all fuzzy about it.
I've seen several threads on it already (counting this one). I mean, I'm hoping it's all just goofing, but there ARE people who would seriously propose something like this.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek2165
I've seen several threads on it already (counting this one). I mean, I'm hoping it's all just goofing, but there ARE people who would seriously propose something like this.
Would it be nice to be compensated somehow every time it happens? Sure...
Not likely to happen... Sure...

Fortunally I have kids, a GF, and a hobby, so when the server crashes (wich tends to be when the family awake... so win win), I have plenty to do anyways, so I don't complain, but there is nothing wrong in wishing for improovement.

With all due respect to your opinion: Sitting back, and accepting things as they are, does not promote progress...

Only by doing something about an issue (in this case trying to illustrate who they could minimize complaints, dispite knowing it is likely never to happen) is promoting progress.

Sometimes you know somthing is impossible, but you try anyways... I think that was a quote mentioned when they tried to break the soundbarrier or somthing like that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Not gonna happen...

But lets say it would (wich it won't): Only subscribers should get the 100 CP... you get what you pay for...
Silver players also pay for points... So... Wouldn't they also get somethin' back for it since they paid for a ship/item/whatever to enjoy while they're doing nothing...

Yes I know it was a hypothetical scenario.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Would it be nice to be compensated somehow every time it happens? Sure...
Not likely to happen... Sure...

Fortunally I have kids, a GF, and a hobby, so when the server crashes (wich tends to be when the family awake... so win win), I have plenty to do anyways, so I don't complain, but there is nothing wrong in wishing for improovement.

With all due respect to your opinion: Sitting back, and accepting things as they are, does not promote progress...

Only by doing something about an issue (in this case trying to illustrate who they could minimize complaints, dispite knowing it is likely never to happen) is promoting progress.

Sometimes you know somthing is impossible, but you try anyways... I think that was a quote mentioned when they tried to break the soundbarrier or somthing like that.
There's really no sitting back involved. I'm not doing anything because I can't control the behavior of the server. There is no specialized role for me to fill. Plus, getting compensated with C-points, the financial lifeblood of STO, for a server crash solves nothing and does not create progress. It would be like having a retailer pay you for closing early on a particular day when you've chosen to go shopping. It serves nothing and solves nothing. All you can do is either wait until the store is open again, and do your shopping, or you can choose to patronize another establishment.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerom
Just a thought, but I have been reading the "Unexpected Downtime" thread for today and noticed a lot of people getting really mad about the crashes. So here is my suggestion. What if you (Cryptic) gave every player who was online when the server crashed 100 C-Points? Hmm. It does not cost you anything to give up C-points as they are a made up currency, no one can really but anything with 100 C-points, BUT if everyone got them when the servers crashed there would likely be a lot less people *****ing and moaning about it and likely a lot more posts like

"Well looking forward to my 100 c-points, 5 more crashes I get my ship!"

Granted it is not likely anyone from Cryptic will see this post, and even more unlikely they would consider it, but in my opinion, it would be a nice gesture to the STO community (your customers) that you are actually sorry for the crashes and even though you are trying to fix this issue, you value the gamers who keep your game alive and hope that they would accept your gift as an apology for the downtime.

Now don't you think that would make your player happy? I know I personally would not mind the game crashing if I knew I was gonna have a free 100 points in my pocket.
It is a nice thought but I agree with everybody else that its not gonna happen ....