Lt. Commander
# 21
03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Thought I'd update this -

9pts into accuracy (targeting systems) = 0.9% crit chance + 9.1% crit severity

at least on my ship, pretty sure the base line is 2.5 / 50.0 and im currently at 3.4 / 59.1

That isn't taking into account Weapon / Projectile Specialization - each of those skills is factored in based on the weapon, not on the ship, so they don't show up in the ships tool tip (stupid I know).

Anywho, thought I'd share =)

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpimpin
Finally, I am more of a sit there while slowing moving backwards type of guy . I don't like flying around in circles constantly trying to position myself.
I think I found your problem.
I believe you don't really understand what "alpha strike" / "burst damage" means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_strike_%28gaming%29

The staple of the alpha strike build is using 3 different weapon types, boosted by 3 different skills that do not share a cooldown to inflict massive damage in a short time, that's why it's called "alpha strike", it's supposed to be an initial devastating attack. The drawback is that you cannot sustain the damage, once the "alpha" in it is gone you're reduced to a bare minimum dps output until the skills recharge.

If you like the "i'm a turret hanging in space" approach you do not want burst damage. You want sustained damage, you begin firing and hold a constant dps throughout the fight. That is why you mostly use 2x of each skill, 2x scatter volley, 2x torpedo spread, 2x tac team, and ap Beta with a short cooldown, to maintain that dps output.

Now, about ship builds, both the full cannon and the cannons+torpedo approach work for the "sustained dps" style. Your current build of cannons+torpedo+beam is more suited for the "alpha" style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpimpin
So, with that in mind the alpha strike would seem to be the better option - I just would like to know what kind of damage variance I am looking at between the two builds in my OP (the all cannons vs the burst dmg build).
It's pretty logical to assume that maintain damage build keeps a linear dps output throughout the fight, while the other build will do higher dps during the alpha strike, but go to lower dps values after the initial strike fades, then increase again, then drop again and so on. How much higher or lower? Well the difference is in the Overload(ed) dual beam array, increases the alpha but loses out long term due to the absence of a boosted cannon.

Now excuse me, I have a skill testing thread to check out.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Thank you for your replies Perjl, but I don't think I require your assistance any further in this matter.

Cheers.