Lt. Commander
# 1 One way ticket to Mars
09-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Ok, the idea of a one way ticket to Mars was already in the news two years ago (after a scientific publication on the matter), and since then NASA is seriously considering it, as far as I know.

But now there is a private initiative too (I think there are more).
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...012824434.html

Or the actual project (with film):
http://mars-one.com/en/

Would you consider a one way ticket to Mars? Why would you (or wouldn't you?).

Last edited by hydaspes; 09-20-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Captain
# 2
09-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Be kind of stupid to use a one way ticket to Mars right now when there are no buildings of any kind there. Seems to be suicide right now. Need some forms of entertainment and a lifetime supply or air, water, and food to be available.
Ensign
# 3
09-18-2012, 06:12 AM
I would consider it. My girlfriend would not be very pleased.

Ok, you have to live there in a tin can or a cave, and probably the radiation will cut your life in half, if the lack of medical facilities doesn't get you first. And you would probably be bored to death.

But at least I would contribute to colonizing other planets. Get my name on a nice gold plaque somewhere. And with a little luck those aliens that are hiding there so well will contact me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Be kind of stupid to use a one way ticket to Mars right now when there are no buildings of any kind there. Seems to be suicide right now. Need some forms of entertainment and a lifetime supply or air, water, and food to be available.
That would indeed be stupid. That's why they have constructed a plan to drop that stuff off first and keep resupplying. And the mission would be to build a base. And a lifetime supply of water and air (if you generate it there) is already present on Mars.

Check it out.
http://mars-one.com/en/
Captain
# 5
09-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Wouldn't mind a return flight to Mars since all the red would get to me. Although, if it was to a planet similar to Earth, but very different types of animals and planets with hot alien babes, then I would take the one way ticket. Might need some adaption genetic engineering to live on that planet though.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Well someone's got to be first! Colonization of Mars is somewhat similar to the colonization of the New World. The first few explorers have troubles with adapting to the new area, but once the first few make all the mistakes, the follow on colonists should find things easier to deal with. I for one would like to be on that first manned flight. Although the lag for STO would be insane :p
Lieutenant
# 7
09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I've been looking at their website and I wonder how realistic it all is.

1. They want to make it all into television entertainment like big brother, and this way raise the money for the project. So people will be tuning in to see in how many ways this project can fail due through mismanagement, and eventually, disaster and death. And the colonists will become TV celebs you can observe live taking a dump in a martian latrine.
2. They seem to have no big plans what to do on Mars, except plant some containers there where people can life in. Are these containers radiation resistant? NASA plans to use underground (cave) dwellings or earthen mounds, did "Mars-One" even consider this?
3. Did they think about an early detection system (satelites) for radiation bursts, giving the colonists enough warning to rush back to their shelters?
4. They make a great deal about their cheap rovers that need that you keep wearing your suit, giving the colonists no real action radius to explore Mars.
5. They want to create power by laying thin (and less efficient) solar panel sheets on the ground, covering a large area. The colonists have to somehow clean this to keep the dust off. And martian sandstorms?
6. There seems to be no scientific or exploration goal whatsoever.
7. There are a lot of mistakes about Mars and technology on their website, that does not give great confidence in their future (there seem to be no serious scientists connected to their endevour).

I would love to be the first to go to Mars, but this pointless entertainment mission I would rather let pass.

Last edited by briitta; 09-18-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
09-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by briitta View Post
I've been looking at their website and I wonder how realistic it all is.

1. They want to make it all into television entertainment like big brother, and this way raise the money for the project. So people will be tuning in to see in how many ways this project can fail due through mismanagement, and eventually, disaster and death. And the colonists will become TV celebs you can observe live taking a dump in a martian latrine.
2. They seem to have no big plans what to do on Mars, except plant some containers there where people can life in. Are these containers radiation resistant? NASA plans to use underground (cave) dwellings or earthen mounds, did "Mars-One" even consider this?
3. Did they think about an early detection system (satelites) for radiation bursts, giving the colonists enough warning to rush back to their shelters?
4. They make a great deal about their cheap rovers that need that you keep wearing your suit, giving the colonists no real action radius to explore Mars.
5. They want to create power by laying thin (and less efficient) solar panel sheets on the ground, covering a large area. The colonists have to somehow clean this to keep the dust off. And martian sandstorms?
6. There seems to be no scientific or exploration goal whatsoever.
7. There are a lot of mistakes about Mars and technology on their website, that does not give great confidence in their future (there seem to be no serious scientists connected to their endevour).

I would love to be the first to go to Mars, but this pointless entertainment mission I would rather let pass.
hmmm, if that's the case then we can get the same results out of watching Prometheus.
Joined August 2008
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Not true, there were serious scientists on board in Prometheus.

Last edited by hydaspes; 09-18-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
09-18-2012, 09:36 AM
If it's not a hoax, governments will crack the hell down on it fast. Their technological plan doesn't add up, and the ethics aren't there. The idea of a one way first trip is interesting, but not actually more viable than a two way trip - the costs are much higher and there's no proof of viability.

A key difference between colonizing Mars and the New World? Those failed colonies weren't left to starve to death, they went native. When the next ship found Roanoke abandoned, they also found a new race of genetically impossible natives who spoke passable English, prayed to Jesus, were unaffected by the European plagues that were killing pretty much everybody on the continent at the time, and had an uncanny knowledge of European customs. The whole Roanoke mystery was a PR campaign to keep people from realizing that they could just walk away from their struggling colonies and find new pants-optional lives in the non-struggling native settlements.

There's probably no convenient Martian tribe to integrate into, and if there is, you probably won't be forging a new tribe of hybrids. But, if there is, and you do, it is a certainty that they will consume the universe as we know it.

Last edited by hevach; 09-18-2012 at 09:44 AM.