Lt. Commander
# 1 Review from a F2P player
03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
OK where to start...

I joined the first day that it came to f2p. I have to say i love the game, done well. I got 4 of my friends to join. We played through the episodes together (With difficulty mind you, not very streamlined the team joining or level balancing) and we had a great time..... for a month. After 1 month we had all reached level cap. Im not even talking serious gaming, at most 6 hours a week. So we all hit max level after just 24 hours play (give or take a few hours)

Ok we thought, the STF missions must be the big end game that will keep us going... well it did... for another 2 weeks. Doing the same missions over and over doesnt really appeal to us for slightly marginally better gear.

Tried pvp but that was pointless, no ladder or even a kill tracking system so what was the point?

Did some exploring and tried the different queues and missions... another week?

by this time i had earnt the maximum amount of energy credits (10mill) (without buying the ability to earn more) and with insane prices on the market (for new ships) i wasnt going to be grinding any time soon for that new ship or really good module.

Tried the klingons out, but its just more of the same.

So what can i say? It was a great game and loved it while it was new, but got old very fast.

From my limited time i would suggest these things:
Slow down leveling by at least 1/3 and make it on a curve, at least then you have a drive to reach Vice Admiral. ( I went from commander to RA so fast i think my glaxay only went on 2 missions before i got a new ship)

Let people grind for a ship rather then giving them for free each level. At least then i might have something to spend dilithium on.

Your prices for your c-store are way to high, there is stuff in there i would like to buy but the prices just dont make it worth it. $5 for a new belt/shoes/pants? Really?

Thank you for the fun,
Might come back in a year to see if things have improved.

And now thats the cue for trolling, tears and no you cant have my stuff
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2012, 04:01 AM
While I agree that leveling has become way to fast especially since the introduction of the DOFF System, there is one thing I do not agree with.
This game is not about reaching VA! Reaching max level is inevitable but not the goal of STO, at least not for me. I enjoy doing the missions and its storyline. If someone reaches the cap that fast, you can't tell me that he took time to get involved in the story.
It's like watching Voyager beeing thrown in the Delta Quadrant and return home in one season. And then end of Series.
That is not the goal and it is not Star Trek.
But as mentioned above I agree that leveling has become a bit too fast. I would like to take longer, too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusDecius
Ok we thought, the STF missions must be the big end game that will keep us going... well it did... for another 2 weeks. Doing the same missions over and over doesnt really appeal to us for slightly marginally better gear.
Tell me of a gme where end game isn't grind x for y, do this for that reward and so on and so forth. Repetative runs and dailies are also in other games.

Quote:
Tried pvp but that was pointless, no ladder or even a kill tracking system so what was the point?
For the fun of it, there doesn't always ahve to be an epeen meter for you to enjoy it. If you need it then you are not a true PvPer.

Quote:
Let people grind for a ship rather then giving them for free each level. At least then i might have something to spend dilithium on.
Lordy no. I would still be in my starter ship if this was the case. Tis would only be viable if levelling was drastically slowed down. by more than a third, and the number of ways to earn dilithium at lower levels was drastically increased with an increase in the refinement numbers too.

You mentioned the c-store. Convert your dilithium to c-point and then buy items no need to spend money on them if you are willing to do this.

Have you looked at the dilitium store for things to spend your dilithium on?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia
Tell me of a gme where end game isn't grind x for y, do this for that reward and so on and so forth. Repetative runs and dailies are also in other games.
It is certainly inevitable to have some of that. But - STO has only 3 endgame "grinds". I am afraid that's a little too much repetititon in there. It also hasn't anything bigger than for 5 players. Crystalline Fleet Action may be an expection, but it's only one, and pretty boring at that - it's just a single, big fight.

The game's endgame grinds lack variety and complexity.

Quote:
For the fun of it, there doesn't always ahve to be an epeen meter for you to enjoy it. If you need it then you are not a true PvPer.
I disagree.
There needs to be a long-time motivation. The cheapest is the epeen meter. Territory Control would be cooler. Also, it's not just epeen - it can also be used to improve match-making, allowing similarly strong players to fight each other, instead of noobs being murderized by Premades. That turns off a lot of people from doing PvP in the first place. Also, even if the matchmaking fails - at least you know you're flying against noobs or experts and can react accordingly (e.g. give or ask for tips, intentionally hold back, or offer to forfeit the match and queue again.)

---

The levelling curve bothers me as well. Ideally, the curve should make the Captain level the longest to play. (Assuming we keep Ensign to VA in, but I am not seeing that changed ever).
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The game's endgame grinds lack variety and complexity.
Did I say it was good? Did I say there was a great variety? Nope I asked if there is a game without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I disagree.
There needs to be a long-time motivation. The cheapest is the epeen meter. Territory Control would be cooler. Also, it's not just epeen - it can also be used to improve match-making, allowing similarly strong players to fight each other, instead of noobs being murderized by Premades. That turns off a lot of people from doing PvP in the first place. Also, even if the matchmaking fails - at least you know you're flying against noobs or experts and can react accordingly (e.g. give or ask for tips, intentionally hold back, or offer to forfeit the match and queue again.)
Match making can be done by the system without you ever seeing anything in game. The main reason to need to see it in game is for yourself to feel better that you did better than x in game. There are ofcourse the excpetions who want it purely for their own info to work on bettering themselves. In which case it could be solved by only showing each character their numbers only, but then the ineviutable question of "how did you do in x?" start to happen.

I am going to have to use the white elephant. I played WoW for many years, I enjoy BGs, mainly Arathi Basin, I stopped my experience in the 70-74 bracket which is now the most popular bracket to do this in. I am not even what people would call a "twink", my do I have a different idea of what that word means, in that game that bracket is the most popular for none twinkers as well.

Once fully geared what is the reason to continue? You don't get much else, you can't buy end game gear for when you decide to level up like you could in TBC, any honour after 4k is wasted unless you convert to JP and even that has a cap, both of which are filled on my characters. This is after buying all the fluff items you can get with it like ounts. The only use is to buy materials for professions and making gold by selling them on the AH.

The reason is the fun and "thrill" for wants of a better word of the game and the variety that you can get facing people and not knowing if it going to be a good run or one you wish you hadn't started. It can be annoying facing real ID premades when you are a random group, but it was not impossible to bat them. Real ID is why I have left the game because if you refuse to use what was meant to be an optional social tool you are punished.

The only time I have looked at the scoreboard is when I change my playstyle from DPS to healing on my priest and that is only to see if my healing is improving and to try a different approach the next time to see if it helps. I am not the only one who was like this, we were only interested in our own performance not in making ourselves feel better because we beat x in the numbers game. You'd be suprised how many people have asked for the thing to be removed.

Now I do agree there needs to be more involvement in PvP than "oh enemy smash now".

Zone control however is not the answer, even WAR which had a zone control based on its' PvP lakes had to abandon it due to major lock outs for one faction or the other depending on server inbalance, though it did have more servers then, Karak Norn was Order dominated and Azgal was Destruction dominated. It still keeps a minor version of what it used to be with a boost to rep gains, before it could increase your professions lower the cost of items, increase the chance of better gear, unlock PvE dungeons and bosses and a couple of other things.

Even in WoW which has the largest number of players than any other MMO has people asking for something to be done about server inbalance because of the zone control world PvP things.

The only way zone control would be viable would be through enforced faction numbers which I don't think would be a good thing in this game given the very poor state of the KDF side of things.

Maybe there could be gear for PvP only, but then you have the problem like in WoW of trying to start off in it where if you do not have the gear you are at a serious disadvantage and you are a free kill in the BGs. Even Blizaard-Activision has realised this and are now introducing their PvP stat of resilience as one of the base stats as well so you do not start of at such a disadvantage.

Now maybe there could be a "arena" type thing where you have a ship that is purely PvP based with gear etc and it sonly used for such encounters, and not in the wider game world. Then you hit the problem where some PvPers do not consider such a sandbox type as PvP.

All in all trying to solve the PvP situation is the same as the PvE situation in that we have different ideas of what counts as PvP and what does not, as we do with what makes a good PvE experience and waht doesn't.