Lt. Commander
# 1 He's dead, Jim.
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Given how (relatively) easy it is to not only get new BOffs but (at higher levels especially), how terrible would it be to make it possible for them to be KIA from time to time? Then the new ones could come in and replace them.

I know that the only times cast members left from the TV shows, their characters generally did not die. I'm thinking of Drs. Crusher and Pulaski from TNG, and Kes from Voyager. The one exception was Jadzia Dax, and even so Dax was still around in Ezri.

This could be something limited to the maximum Difficulty rating, or a new one (or even a completely separate switch) could be added,

What do the rest of you in the community think of this idea?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgreenwade View Post
Given how (relatively) easy it is to not only get new BOffs but (at higher levels especially), how terrible would it be to make it possible for them to be KIA from time to time? Then the new ones could come in and replace them.

I know that the only times cast members left from the TV shows, their characters generally did not die. I'm thinking of Drs. Crusher and Pulaski from TNG, and Kes from Voyager. The one exception was Jadzia Dax, and even so Dax was still around in Ezri.

This could be something limited to the maximum Difficulty rating, or a new one (or even a completely separate switch) could be added,

What do the rest of you in the community think of this idea?
Add Tasha Yar to that. No, I do not like that idea. I like my Boffs alive.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
No thanks, DOff die and that's enough for me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuboyT View Post
No thanks, DOff die and that's enough for me.
Not only do Doffs die, but they do it on vacation on Risa!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Not only do Doffs die, but they do it on vacation on Risa!
Looking for jamaharon in all the wrong places, perhaps?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
You can easily "kill" your BO's by dismissing them, if you like, and then commission a new one. They are "dead" because you can never get them back*

*( Except by commissioning a new one and changing the likeness/skills to match -- The STO version of Tasha/Sela ).
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Interesting idea, I once killed a Boff by taking his shield and armour off and giving him a standard phaser, it was one that was no longer of use and I wanted him to go out in a blaze of glory. Think I also made a log entry about him lol.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
You can easily "kill" your BO's by dismissing them, if you like, and then commission a new one. They are "dead" because you can never get them back*

*( Except by commissioning a new one and changing the likeness/skills to match -- The STO version of Tasha/Sela ).
Actually, on the Exchange there seem to be a fairly limited mixture of races/traits. Except for (perhaps) Aliens, it almost seems like they come off of standard templates.

Note that I don't want my BOffs dead, just that there isn't a whole lot of variety out there, which is actually a bit disappointing - I wanted to let my BOffs "advance" by upgrading from Commons to Purples, and it seems that I can't, at least not with the same traits switched from Basic to Superior.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I've just upgraded my major Boffs to purple and it was quite a task, took alot of cross referencing. Can't believe how much a tactical Human female costs and although I can easily afford it, I won't buy on principle. She's staying as basic for now.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
OK, bad idea.

And yes, I must (with some embarrassment) admit that I forgot about Tasha's deaths. (Three of them, in fact; one in Season 1, another recounted by Sela in Season 5, and yet another at the end of Season 7.)