Lt. Commander
# 61
03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylematt4 View Post
Against simular sized ships. only time it really went up against anything bigger was in the episode with Tom Riker where it disabled a galor and Paradise Lost against the Lakota and from those scenes iit opens more questions as to how the cardassians during the dominion war were able to stand up to the federation and support their dominion allies and that can the defiant really punch above its weight class as it fought the Lakota to a draw although plot wouldn't allow for the destruction of another fed ship at the hands of another fed ship.

But we never really saw the defiant destroy anything above a BOP or Bugship
the largest kill the defiant got was a breen ships, after like 6 quantums or very long cannon bursts. after the cadasians switched sides, we see a galor destroy a breen ship with 2 shots from its main beam bank.

when the writers allow, the galaxy and nebula are quite powerful. in the episode the wounded the rouge nebula managed to destroy a galor in a single torpedo barrage. earlier in the episode the D shrugged off a galor's attack like it was nothing, they made it clear that this ship was nearly harmless to them, they also commented that the ship that attacked them was top of the cardasian line.

the amount of volume that the phaser arrays take up on larger ships, anything from an intrepid to a galaxy, is literally greater then the defiant has total volume. its a mathematical impossibility that the tiny little defiant, that is strong for its size, could be any match for these larger ships. its a match for an 80 year old light cruiser that never got upgraded extensively enough to equip it with phaser arrays, or to change 1 exterior detail. if the lakota had been a more modern design and of similar size to an excelsior, the defiant would have gotten creamed in seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Treat The Galaxy R like you would a Negh'var (minus turn rate)

Build:

Com Eng: EPtS1, Boarding Party 1 or RSP1, EPtS3, Aux to Sif 3

Lt Com Eng: EPtE1, EPtE2, Eject Warp Plasma

Lt Sci: PH, HE2

Lt Tac: Tac Team, Torp Skill, or FaW1 and 2, or whichever skills you like (Tac Team + Delta if building Tank)

Ens Eng: Eng Team 1

Consoles:
Eng: 3x Armor, 1 EPS
Sci: 35% Shield, Borg Console, Shield Emitter or Particle Generafor (for warp plasma)
Tac:Beam Boosters appropriate to whichever you use

Loadout
Fore: 3 BA, 1 Torp
Aft: 3 BA, 1 Mine

Result: A Tanky ship, with enough turn and speed to broadside effectively, mines to add a little more oomph or draw fire off of FaW briefly, or deployables as needed, with an extra burst heal/system enable with Eng Team 1.

Not horribly weak as such, not overpowered (obviously), heal capable along with a Star Cruiser, DPS capable along with an Assault Cruiser, losing some burst ability for an extra heal and more control. Just pretend the Saucer Separation doesn't exist and build it like a cannon-less Negh'var.
Lt. Commander
# 63
03-19-2012, 09:42 AM
I still maintain the bottom line is this:

The Galaxy-R's place in the game is for:

1) Those who love the Galaxy-class above any others in the game and want a T5 version as their endgame ship (but who find the Galaxy-X to be too different to love).

2) Those who love the Galaxy-class, and don't want to spend 2000 c-store points for the Galaxy-X (having more use for the 400 c-store points in such things as inventory and bank upgrades).

I should also note that I have the Odyssey-Operations as my end-game ship, and I believe the Galaxy-R also has one other advantage. The Odyssey-Op seperated chevron does not appear to have the AM Spread ability I hear they installed in the Galaxy-R seperated saucer section just before the release of the Advanced Odyssey class. Maybe I am wrong, or either of these was changed, but that is an observation I wish to post here.
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller
I still maintain the bottom line is this:

The Galaxy-R's place in the game is for:

1) Those who love the Galaxy-class above any others in the game and want a T5 version as their endgame ship (but who find the Galaxy-X to be too different to love).

2) Those who love the Galaxy-class, and don't want to spend 2000 c-store points for the Galaxy-X (having more use for the 400 c-store points in such things as inventory and bank upgrades).

I should also note that I have the Odyssey-Operations as my end-game ship, and I believe the Galaxy-R also has one other advantage. The Odyssey-Op seperated chevron does not appear to have the AM Spread ability I hear they installed in the Galaxy-R seperated saucer section just before the release of the Advanced Odyssey class. Maybe I am wrong, or either of these was changed, but that is an observation I wish to post here.
As I recall, the saucer will only use Antimatter Spread if you have the console equipped. The chevron likely has the same handicap.
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Give it a universal ensign and a universal console slot instead of the third sci console and you have a perfect alternative ship to the assault and star cruisers. It doesn't quite obsolete them because you still get them free at RA, and you can only get the Galaxy-R as a 600 day vet or for dilithium/C Points. Seems fair to me.
Honestly, they should buff its turn rate now. Its the 'lightest' of the Galaxy Classes, and considering they are making new ones, give it a point or two and make it comparable to the Excelsior. That or do something radical with its BO arrangement. I don't think the new saucer powers are gonna bring it out from the shadow the Seperating Gal-X and oddy cast on it.
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylematt4 View Post
least the oddessy n tribble is using a galaxy skin

esn universal ,
lt commander universal
command engineer
lt tact
lt sci

shame its not for the galaxy in game
But then you have an Odyssey
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Replacing the science lieutenant and engineering ensign with universals could work though.
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
surprise! galaxy R decloaking! ok now im gonna throw heals, turn poorly, and be a less optimizable and useful as a healer then a star cruiser. im also going to be dealing less damage then all but the star cruiser wile im at it. that's ok, i'll saucer sep and still not do any more damage! and i'll likely get killed because the entire team loves killing sep'ed galaxy's. even more then killing unsep'ed galaxys, which are almost always considered easy marks and flown by noobs.
I would be very surprised if the Galaxy R in the new package doesn't gain access to the cloak from the Galaxy R. That being said I tend to agree that the cloak and saucer seperation module will be part of a new galaxy set.
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-19-2012, 10:05 AM
I'd almost say give the Galaxy R a
Engineer Comm
Science LT Comm
Tactical LT Comm
and be done with it.
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
I'd almost say give the Galaxy R a
Engineer Comm
Science LT Comm
Tactical LT Comm
and be done with it.
throw in a LT engineering too. more and more im starting to think something "unbalanced" like this is appropriate. considering smaller ships like the excelsior have better maneuverability and give nothing up for it, and larger ships have poor maneuverability and... well they are just huge and suffer terrible turn rates and gain no size based advantage at all.

a 10th console to give it 3 tactical would make it perfect, think of it as the large ship advantage. at the same time give the excelsior 10 turn rate, and sovereign 9, that would be fine. smaller ships would need a turn rate buff to counter a large ship ability buff.1 other extreamly large ship has 2 LTC stations, its a kdf ship that launches fighters. it has what it has because it turns so poorly and can be so helpless, see a patern?