Lt. Commander
Is there a fast track to this? I'm at level 17 and it seems I'm still a long ways away from the 'Attache' rank. There are only two things I can think of to help with this. One is just going out and doing quests, but it seems that maybe one quest in five will offer diplomatic points, and the points you get from them tend to be small. The other is doing diplomatic jobs with the duty officers, but it seems here that invariably I'm missing some requirement that would allow me to do the job. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Great game, BTW. It is my first MMORPG.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't think there is a fast track, but the main mechanism is now the Duty Officer system, while it looks like the old quest system is now too slow to be worth doing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Doff assignments are your main way. If you think attache is a long way off, it's 100,000 CXP to the top. That actually starts getting fairly easy in diplomacy once you get most of what you need, there's quite a few assignments that give over 500 CXP, and using higher quality doffs increases the returns (as well as increasing your critical success chance - crits are a major way to gain CXP as many large assignments can be finagled to give several thousand on crits)

Anyway, back to the point: You'll want to watch Earth orbit, spacedock, and Starfleet academy for the Civilian Corps recruitment assignments. Advisors and diplomats come from these. I've noticed a lot of diplomacy assignments will also take a counselor, they're in the medical department and can come from science recruitment. And of course, just about everything can come out of the general recruitment cadres. You also need security officers (the specialization, not the department) fairly often in diplomacy.

If you have the EC to spare, I might suggest going to the exchange and getting some cheap white doffs to get going. 2-3 diplomats/advisors, 2-3 security officers, and 1-2 chefs, bartenders, and entertainers. Don't worry a huge deal about traits for now - once you get rolling with the system and have recruited a pretty good force yourself you can start worrying about those details to get more crits, but for the first two tiers its more important just to keep your assignment slots filled and keep the work rolling.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys for the great info. You've confirmed what I suspected in that the duty officers seem to be the best thing for diplomatic XP's. Having said that, I think I'm going to spend tonight taking a good hard look at my duty officers along the lines you guys suggested.

Speaking of the exchange, I've already gotten quite wealthy without using the exchange at all. If, however, I can pick up additional duty officers there, then I guess it may be worth my while to check it out this evening.

Love this game!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Try some of the patrol missions at certain planets with my old character I got a lot of XP from these
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2012, 02:08 PM
If you really want to fast-track, buy the 10,000 CXP boosts and do nothing but diplomatic doff assignments. (Doing other assignments will just drain your bonus cxp points!) Once you get to Rank 3, the First Contact missions also throw you a decent amount of diplo xp.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2012, 02:10 AM
What about the Diplomatic Corps? My friend and I are on our first time through and we are both Admirals (I just hit 41, he is 45) but do not have enough Diplomatic XP to go into Klingon space. Is that another good way to get it?

We probably got in this situation because we have only done the storyline when on together, so the rest of the time is spent on side missions (Community Authored, Exploration, farming data particles, etc). We have only completed the DS9 featured storyline, and we still got 5 or 6 missions left in the Klingon War storyline!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Diplomatic Corps missions give 10 CXP. At higher ranks you can get ones that give 20 (assuming you answer all the questions correctly). They really disappear into the system.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-14-2012, 07:10 AM
The only real 'diplomacy' experience in the game is if you do a lot of fanfiction writing and 'professional' roleplaying with members of various Fleets/organizations. The in-game quests pale in comparison by what my girls and I pen down ourselves.

Just be warned it can be -very- difficult to find roleplayers that can actually hold a decent socio-political discussion (using canon Trek references) and manipulate in-game items to give rewards / simulate interstellar trade.

Much fun when you setup your own Diplomatic Corps to write with from time to time though, so I keep this exclusive.

My division of the FDC is presently deployed to assist the Detapa Council in various reconstruction and humanitarian projects (Cardassians staffed by members of the Jevonite Order Fleet).
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-14-2012, 02:59 PM
@Hevach - You were absolutely correct. For a modest 10K credits I bought a bartender at the exchange, and in one of the sectors found a diplomatic-oriented mission where she could help. When it was completed it netted me 300 diplomatic XP's. How cool is that? I mean, this is far better than the measly 10 XP's you get from the usual quests. I see though that there are a lot of factors involved in the duty officer jobs, like having the commodities/data, cash, duty officers with the right qualifications, the location, and a little bit of luck. Thanks again for the tips.

@Carmenara - Your post intrigues me. I have actually been chronicling the adventures of 'Maven Black-Briar in Starfleet' with a pictorial story. BTW, I'm at level 23 and have not yet joined a fleet. Maybe I could submit my CV to join the Jevonite Order?