Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
Is that Perpetual or Cryptic art?
That perpetual art.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingTran
correct me if I'm wrong, but the only humaniod race in ST canon that don't have females are Jem'Hadar, so there are no reasons why there are no Nausicaans females, or in the same case Gorn
Im not sure we have actually ever seen or heard about nausican females...
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellsarius
That perpetual art.
Nah, that looks like art from the collector's edition special concept art book.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-13-2012, 05:52 AM
It took them two years to get alien female BOs of higher rarity into the game - and those already had all assets, presets ect. readily available.

I can't really imagine how long it would then take them to build nausicaan females from scratch.

So that said and for whatever it's worth: I would fully support the idea of nausicaan female BOs and playable race, and would even buy them from the cstore (or from the exchange what would overall be the same for cryptic).
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Gorn females are already in game. To paraphrase Tolkien, "They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the Gorn-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart."
This. In fact, the only real difference between male and female Gorn, as I've seen explained in secondary canon, is that the females are slightly bigger and stronger.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
I've always assumed there was some level of mysogony in the Gorn hegemony, and amongst Nausicaans etc. The art is quite cool though, nice find.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-13-2012, 07:16 AM
i dont mean to be sexist in any way if there is any, but why is every humanoid race seen thus far always have their "extras" in the same place a human would have them? these are aliens after all, they shouldnt look like us, they should look mysterious and alien. remember Rura Penthe with Kirk and that brute, where he kicked the brutes knees *ouch!* only to find out it was his version of a happy sack or Kes mentioning when she gets pregnant that her baby would grow on her back instead of inside the womb. there should be alot more differences to make an alien an alien.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
i dont mean to be sexist in any way if there is any, but why is every humanoid race seen thus far always have their "extras" in the same place a human would have them? these are aliens after all, they shouldnt look like us, they should look mysterious and alien. remember Rura Penthe with Kirk and that brute, where he kicked the brutes knees *ouch!* only to find out it was his version of a happy sack or Kes mentioning when she gets pregnant that her baby would grow on her back instead of inside the womb. there should be alot more differences to make an alien an alien.
Gaming-wise? It's easier to use existing resources (ie: models that one already has) and build from there then it is to build something entirely from scratch. Movie/TV-show wise? It's a hell of a lot cheaper to design a look for an alien when you don't have to add all kinds of crazy things and framing to it (ie: just put makeup on someone).

Those two reasons are why pretty much all of Star Trek's aliens are very close to a humanoid template. Even the 'brute' you mentioned had a humanoid frame, and the only real difference was something that they didn't really have to model (or could with just some extra work around the knees). Almost every sci-fi series that evolved up from a television show (and a number of movie series) had the majority, or all, of their aliens with a humanoid look to them.

And even in movies, they keep the number of them down as far as possible, or don't use a lot of variety even then (Star Wars sunk a lot of budget into the alien puppetry, and even then, it didn't have a great many on-screen for all that long and for a number of them didn't actually BUILD full models).

Most series (Star Trek for example) will actually attempt to explain this in-universe (the Preservers) in some way so as to attempt to answer that question, others will just flat-out ignore it.

EDIT: As to the OP.. I fully support the addition of more female models to the KDF side of things. It is a reals sausage fests over theres. Ands I'm nots even sures thats those Orions girls aren'ts hidings somethings.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriFoxfirega

EDIT: As to the OP.. I fully support the addition of more female models to the KDF side of things. It is a reals sausage fests over theres. Ands I'm nots even sures thats those Orions girls aren'ts hidings somethings.
I'm curious. where exactly do you think they could be hiding it?
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
I'm curious. where exactly do you think they could be hiding it?
I have absolutely no idea, and quite frankly, I'm not sure I want to attempt the necessary examination that such investigative work would require with the potential outcome as it's suggested. ಠ_ಠ