Lt. Commander
# 11
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I hate to say this, because these are some good if not great ideas, but it really comes down, again and again, to the fact the Cryptic does not have a big staff. In fact it has one of the smallest staffs in the industry. This is partly because it was selling itself on being able to develop 'light and quick' but also because they lost a lot of people in the closing days of its ownership by Atari.

There's just not enough people to tear the game down and build it back up. This Is What We Have. There will be improvements and bugfixes but we're really looking at what we're going to have for the rest of the life of the game. Basically, the bigger and more extensive the change, the less likely we are to see it changed. Because the resources and staff are not there, and even with the new hires, won't be. It's for this reason that I don't think Suricata's excellent Ship Tier Revision proposal won't ever see the light of a compiler.

At this point, people have to decide: Is this the Trek game I want to play? Is this worth my time? Is it *already* Trek enough, at least as far as mechanics go?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree with getting rid of the borg intro, instead, have gorn, or orions invading the federation

Start off with the minor race enemies, then slowly work the player up to enemies like the borg.

I can't imagine them doing anything major to the game at this rate though.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I'd love to see a change that would allow you to set your boffs on non-class objectives. It's just weird to see an engineering objective and think, sure I can't do this, but there IS a Commander level engineer standing right beside me.

If Kirk found your dying Starfleet officer he wouldn't ignore his wounds cause he's a Tactical captain and he would do a half-arse job slapping on bandaids. No, he'd order Bones to take care of it because Bones is a top notch doctor. That's what crew are there for - because a captain can't be expect to do everything.

Of course to keep players from off-loading everything onto their boffs I would not let boff actions count toward accolades and I would assign a chance that the boff screws up based on class, rank & race... etc... sort of like a mini-doff mission.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
walking into a bar and killing everyone there AS A STARFLEET OFFICER.
There isn't much"trek" in STO
That was pretty fun. I kept the immersion by thinking of my captain as some sicko who gets promoted again and again in order to avoid her total nervous breakdown and crashing into ESD or the academy with a cruiser. Since she's an admiral, she doesn't meddle with diplomacy, what's a relief for her, her subjects, and the admiralty.

The 'trek' I found is on the Klingon side. The 'shoot to kill' nature of conduct suits them, and I can easily forgive or ignore the 'flaws' listed in the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
I tried to read it in its entirety. I truly did. I kept stumbling over the same issue, which caused me to skip around, only to find the same issue repeated.

Star Trek Online is a game.

It's not a TV show nor movie.

It's not a Star Trek simulator.

It is a game.

It's not Second Life in Space. It's not Starfleet Academy Simulator. It's not Story Time at DS9.

I did not see a single suggestion that you offered that put the "Star Trek" in "Star Trek Online"... I did see you redesigning the game for what "you" want or removing elements "you" do not like.

Some items are simply a case of fleshing out what appear to be unfinished systems - but that it not a case adding "Star Trek" to it - that's simply fleshing out. Something that would be logical for a game regardless of the IP.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
I'd love to see a change that would allow you to set your boffs on non-class objectives. It's just weird to see an engineering objective and think, sure I can't do this, but there IS a Commander level engineer standing right beside me.

If Kirk found your dying Starfleet officer he wouldn't ignore his wounds cause he's a Tactical captain and he would do a half-arse job slapping on bandaids. No, he'd order Bones to take care of it because Bones is a top notch doctor. That's what crew are there for - because a captain can't be expect to do everything.

Of course to keep players from off-loading everything onto their boffs I would not let boff actions count toward accolades and I would assign a chance that the boff screws up based on class, rank & race... etc... sort of like a mini-doff mission.
This! This I agree with completely. I also want to know why science is treated as a single wing rather than science and medical specialties being separate. The chief medical officer my not normally be on the bridge but neither is the chief engineer normally.... either or both could go with an away team. We also are missing communications....
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
What is up with people and the overdrawn Academy tutorials? Kirk's story didn't start out in the Academy, people. He was already in the chair by the time we got to him. Same with Picard and the others.

This is a game. It's going to appeal to gamers who might also be non-Trekkies. You think they'd rather hang around the Academy and go to school to be a starship ensign than immediately drop right into a heavy Borg infested battle? As a gamer, I'd choose the latter.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
One thing, though, that does stand out about the game is this (at least to me, and I'm sure others if they stopped to consider it for a moment):

Star Trek Online is more along the lines of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Online than it is TOS, TNG, VOY, or ENT Online.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Simple ....
  • Everyone should wear the same uniform
  • Limit the amount of races in Star Fleet
  • Add real exploration, and get rid of PVP
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
One thing, though, that does stand out about the game is this (at least to me, and I'm sure others if they stopped to consider it for a moment):

Star Trek Online is more along the lines of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Online than it is TOS, TNG, VOY, or ENT Online.
Once they get the ball rolling with the Iconians (Praetor Taris escaped so we're gonna deal with some Romulans in the near future most likely), the Tholians, and the Children of Khan, it won't seem so DS9-ish.
Closed Thread