Lt. Commander
# 31
03-13-2012, 06:04 AM
I dunno. I'm getting really sick of all these posts claiming that STO doesn't have adequate knowledge of the Star Trek IP. There's a war going on in this game, which is fine since the series was heading in that direction anyways. We don't have time to explore and when we do, it's for a breather. I can get behind that. I want to defend the Federation first and foremost and even try to strike up alliances with others than just charting anomalies. But that's a player thing and I really don't like the consensus that all Trek players just want to explore.

So is Cryptic lackluster in regards to the Star Trek IP? In my opinion, no. Do they need to get their butts up and start making more content for not just the Feds but for the KDF as well? Yes. It's a mission issue. They need to keep the main plot going (like the Iconians, Children of Khan, etc.). Other than that, the game is good for a Star Trek MMO. It's fun, I like blowing stuff up, and I like playing around with the Doffs and the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Stats only get you so far.
When you state something is 100% the case and it is not... it does not get you very far at all.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
When you state something is 100% the case and it is not... it does not get you very far at all.
Your stats do not refute the fact that the main theme of Star Trek the Next Generation was exploration. It states it in the show's introduction. Picard states it often enough throughout the series. The writers adhered to it. Your stats do not refute the fact that Star Trek the Next Generation was about exploration. As I stated earlier, this isn't debatable. The Enterprise's "continuing mission" was to explore.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Your stats do not refute the fact that the main theme of Star Trek the Next Generation was exploration. It states it in the show's introduction. Picard states it often enough throughout the series. The writers adhered to it. Your stats do not refute the fact that Star Trek the Next Generation was about exploration. As I stated earlier, this isn't debatable. The Enterprise's "continuing mission" was to explore.
ST:TNG was about what we actually saw on the TV each week. Which usually was not exploration. Heck, Leviathan99 had me list out Roddenberry's mission for the Enterprise in TNG...

...and that, was what TNG was about.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaptic_Firefly
I dunno. I'm getting really sick of all these posts claiming that STO doesn't have adequate knowledge of the Star Trek IP. There's a war going on in this game, which is fine since the series was heading in that direction anyways. We don't have time to explore and when we do, it's for a breather. I can get behind that. I want to defend the Federation first and foremost and even try to strike up alliances with others than just charting anomalies. But that's a player thing and I really don't like the consensus that all Trek players just want to explore.

So is Cryptic lackluster in regards to the Star Trek IP? In my opinion, no. Do they need to get their butts up and start making more content for not just the Feds but for the KDF as well? Yes. It's a mission issue. They need to keep the main plot going (like the Iconians, Children of Khan, etc.). Other than that, the game is good for a Star Trek MMO. It's fun, I like blowing stuff up, and I like playing around with the Doffs and the Foundry.
I think they have far more than adequate knowledge of the IP.

I think issues like the ship camera zoom maybe underscore room for debate in terms of how they act on that knowledge, valuing one set of concerns (playability) over another set of concerns (stylistic representation of our ships).

I'm not questioning anyone's knowledge. I'm questioning their values.

EDIT: And priorities. Again, we get game mechanics (shuttles, EV suits) far more often than we get missions that use existing mechanics and provide storyline advancement where actions have meaning.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ST:TNG was about what we actually saw on the TV each week. Which usually was not exploration. Heck, Leviathan99 had me list out Roddenberry's mission for the Enterprise in TNG...

...and that, was what TNG was about.
Exploration has many meanings.

Maybe it's not out there. Maybe it's in here.

*pounds chest*

The human heart.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Exploration has many meanings.

Maybe it's not out there. Maybe it's in here.

*pounds chest*

The human heart.
The vast majority of it was exploring the human condition.

STO explores that...but as I stated...without the illusion of failure that Star Trek offered. It feels light - fluffy, if you will. That's the nature of a themepark MMO.

A Star Trek MMORPG could not provide the same experience one could get from a Star Trek SRPG or even a MRPG/Co-Op RPG.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Is an MMO primarily a game or is it a social media narrative interactive experience where the game-like elements are not nearly that relevant?
If one does not join an active fleet in STO -- or more specifically , a fleet that is active in promoting team play with New Toons , then most of STO can and will be played from a single player perspective .
So much for your supposed "social media narrative interactive experience" . The "interactive" bit does not exist apart from Q/A's and perhaps some mild PVP strategy (and by mild I mean : "Target X") .

I'm not sure how big the role-play community is in STO .
Nor am I sure how many fleets could go into the "other" category (like the fleet that is based on STO fashion for example) .
But from an active STF player and an active PVP player POV -- STO woefully lacks the promotion of "Team Play" at lower levels .
Players need to get used to playing together , they need to get used to having more complicated goals as a team then "target the same ship" , and they need to get used to being aware of the situation of their team members (aka: who needs help) .

As to Cryptic's design philosophy ... -- I have only STO as reference (as my first Cryptic game and my first MMO) -- but I do feel that there is a mostly constant lack of a long term plan , and that the game (and players) suffer from this .
STO has been playing catch-up with itself for as long as it's started , and it will continue to do so until someone puts a long term plan into effect (and no , going F2P is not a long term plan) .
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Excellent drilldown, Leviathan. I think a total culture change needs to take place at Cryptic in exactly the manner you suggest. Hopefully one that occurs before they completely ruin the gameplay experience here.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'm not sure whether things really need to be considered in such a technical fashion. I think it really comes down to the fact Cryptic did not understand the Star Trek IP. They sort of managed to make a game where the mission content drove the game, but then stopped short. We have storyline missions, but they're all pretty much action oriented with only limited plot development.

In fact, STO should have been developed more along the lines of SW:TOR, with more emphasis put into the stories and character interactions. You can still have a lot of action, but the pendulum was pushed too far towards just action, and not enough to really immerse you in the universe.
Couldn't say it better myself.

Though imo Cryptic shouldn't be allowed to do STO anymore. Find a much better and capable company.