Lt. Commander
The German translation of STO generally is good. But there are, naturally, some errors. Let us list these here as we encounter them.
  • "Respec" is translated, for whatever reason, as "Respekt", which is obviously not what is meant (because "Respekt" in German is the same as "respect" in English). I''d suggest "Neuausbildung" instead.
  • There is an exploration mission where you scan plants. The mission dialogue in German lets me run around on the planet's surfce and offers me "Planet scannen", "scan planet". Obviously, it should read "Pflanze scannen", "scan plant".
  • The Breen Cluster torpedo is funnily translated as "Sternhaufentorpedo". That, however, would be a "star cluster torpedo". My suggestion would be to use "Clustertorpedo", using then English word "cluster" as a loan word in this case.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
why would one want to run this game in german?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths View Post
why would one want to run this game in german?
Well, a friend of mine wanted to because his english is horrible.

And I guess because it was sold in Germany in boxes with german text on them and including the statement that the game was in german.

http://www.baraans-corner.de/wp-cont...ls_f2p-box.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
When in team combat, you are offerd the option to do three things with a given piece of loot. I am not quite sure what they are supposed to mean, but the German words currently used mean totally different things, that's for sure. :-)

For example, "bestehen" is clicked if you want to pass away that particular piece of loot. The information text afterwards correclty states "XYZ hat [loot] weitergegeben". Why not write "Weitergeben" instead of "bestehen" in the menu before that? Bestehen has absolutely no place in that context.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Usually anything American that gets translated into a foreign language is not going to be perfect since a translation program is most likely used .Of course its different with a major film who has offices in said foreign country that can spend the time and money to do it properly.

Same with some foreign games or movies brought over here with English subtitles made in that country.
You think the STO German subtitles are bad, foreign translations of English are sometimes nearly unreadable.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
When in team combat, you are offerd the option to do three things with a given piece of loot. I am not quite sure what they are supposed to mean, but the German words currently used mean totally different things, that's for sure. :-)

For example, "bestehen" is clicked if you want to pass away that particular piece of loot. The information text afterwards correclty states "XYZ hat [loot] weitergegeben". Why not write "Weitergeben" instead of "bestehen" in the menu before that? Bestehen has absolutely no place in that context.
well correct me if I am wrong but bestehen is to pass. In english it from top to bottom

Need
Greed
Pass

So i could see why bestehen would be picked.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
No, it is not. "Bestehen" means "insist" or "pass an exam" (which is where I guess this comes from).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
well correct me if I am wrong but bestehen is to pass. In english it from top to bottom

Need
Greed
Pass

So i could see why bestehen would be picked.
Yeah, but only in the sense of "to pass a test".
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2012, 12:34 AM
The Injector Assembly console is translated as "Injekorsystem". While generally a good translation, note the typo: A "t" is missing after the K.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2012, 02:47 AM
I want to thank you for opening this thread. the german translation lately got alot better than before, but is not bug-free.

most of the common terms known from the translation of the series and movies are still translated incorrect or even make no sense (eg "pass" and "bestehen").

I would love to see this corrected.