Lt. Commander
# 11
03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
I would recommend listening to some of the recent interviews with dStahl -- he mentions PvP quite often, and, as a PvP player, the news is pretty exciting.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
The thing is Brandon, we've heard this promise before. Over a year ago now in fact. New systems, pvp stuff, etc was posted, by a dev as 'in testing now.' What ever happened to that? As I recall the sticky about it got locked when people started asking questions in said sticky.

Its really hard to keep extending trust to a company that keeps promising and not delivering. I know some will say new owners, give them a chance, and so on...but you know what? Its still Cryptic. Its still their track record they have to live with, and until that record changes for the better, I'll stick with believing when I'm actually playing it, and not a moment before.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Trust me (if you are willing), we need a new "system" I forget which interview Dan mentions "why" on, but there is a reason. Such a new system would allow even more content for PvP. I know you may be doubtful, but, time will tell

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I think what people want to know is what's the plan for Content (Mission, End-game, and PvP) between now and when Season 6 comes in late June or early July, 5 months away?

New systems area always interesting but the fans have been asking for the same things since 1 month after launch: new Mission and PvP Content. We need new things to do. Not new Shooter Modes that only lets us do the old things again.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
It's hard to trust a company that has promised so much and delivered so little, with every promise having a "soon" or "next season" attached.

Lack of content exists now. Not in Season 6. Now. So a solution should be implemented now.

It is as I have said before, if even half of the effort put towards the cash grab mechanics that have been added to the game since going F2P were applied to supporting the game itself, the game would be twice what it is.

Stop worrying so much about making money. If you make a solid product, the money will come.

But PWE seems to want to make as much money with as little effort as possible. After the lottery box fiasco so many people have opened their eyes as to what game PW is playing. I predict that the next cash grab will not be nearly as successful. And the one that follows after that one, even less so. People do want stuff. But they also want a game to use that stuff in. And as they run out of content (those who are new to the game) they will see less and less of a point to buying stuff.

What will happen when the cash grabs stop grabbing the cash? Will PW finally take game content seriously? Or will they just shut STO down and use it as a tax write-off.

I don't speak for everyone. But I know I am not just speaking for myself when I say, "I'm tired of waiting."

I'm not buying a single C-point or subscribing to the game until serious effort gets put into making the GAME worth spending money on. Because as far as I am concerned, right now, with its severe lack in content, it is not.

I know that Cryptic can do good work. When they DO release playable content, it is pretty darned good. As a silver, I would pay the C-point equivilant of a month's subscription to unlock access to the next featured episode series. But I will not pay for fluff.
I just want to voice an opposite concern. I of course support more content, but not with the price of server stability. I beg Cryptic to always put the stability of the server above the need for something. I also want to ask Cryptic if they would post something on the forums every once in a while saying "we have this new content that we are going to be putting live soon, and we need to stress test it, would say....300 of our avid fans jump over to tribble and actually test this for like 5 hours straight with some stress involved on the server" that way when it's brought live, it doesn't crash us I of course would volunteer for this wholeheartedly, and with Cryptics encouragement I'm sure that many others would take a few hours out of there normal play time to help the cause.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranthraxis
I just want to voice an opposite concern. I of course support more content, but not with the price of server stability. I beg Cryptic to always put the stability of the server above the need for something.
Cryptic's Server problems are because they have a bug (a heap corruption) the Devs cannot pinpoint. It has nothing to do with Mission Content or the number of people using the Servers.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
I would recommend listening to some of the recent interviews with dStahl -- he mentions PvP quite often, and, as a PvP player, the news is pretty exciting.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
That's cool and all, but, well, actions speak a lot louder than words.

I certainly hope you are right, but I've not seen much to be excited about in 2012 in that area. There's still a lot of year left though.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Trust me (if you are willing), we need a new "system" I forget which interview Dan mentions "why" on, but there is a reason. Such a new system would allow even more content for PvP. I know you may be doubtful, but, time will tell

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Again, great hopeful information. But I don't know. New systems take forever to do. What's wrong with building on the current system? How'd the current system get so broken in the first place? This is one of the MMORPGs that fixes problems by creating brand new mechanics. And that slows everything down.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
And as I said above, what he talks about is a new system slated for release in Season 6. We don't need a new system. We need new content for the system we already have.
From what I heard on STOked, that's exactly what the new tech is for: the ability to set up maps with PvP objectives easily. Once they have that in the codebase, creating new PvP content will be a more worthwile time investment than it is now.

I just hope that by the time they manage to do that, there will still be a PvP experience to care about, because no amount of content or features can make up for a core experience that is unenjoyable and unfair. The direction Cryptic seems to be taking with selling power in the C-Store (the chancebox ships and the new flagship variants obsoleting other ships of their type on one hand, and the general power creep caused by all the non-T5 console powers being usable in all ships on the other) has been putting off more and more players lately.

For me, PvP is the most engaging part of the game, even as limited as it is. But I will not put up with getting nickel-and-dimed to stay competitive. If the only options presented to me will be to gimp myself or to become part of the problem, I'll most likely take the third option and leave STO altogether.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
In Cryptic's mind, KDF was created for PVP and vice versa. Due to this fallacy, PVP is irrevocably linked to KDF. As Cryptic has been and is still unwilling to give KDF the content attention required, PVP will continue to languish in MMO purgatory with no concern or development allocated due to its association with KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-13-2012, 12:39 PM
The thing I don't like about pvp is that it really depends upon your team and the kdf ships seem way to powerful. I always kick butt when I play pvp vs. starfleet players unless my team is insanely bad. However with the klingons I am one shotted in an assault cruiser by these insane klingon weapons. I know the average klingon player is better than the average federation player so their team is on the whole better than mine but when I am unable to tank in my tank somethings wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjames3653
The thing I don't like about pvp is that it really depends upon your team and the kdf ships seem way to powerful. I always kick butt when I play pvp vs. starfleet players unless my team is insanely bad. However with the klingons I am one shotted in an assault cruiser by these insane klingon weapons. I know the average klingon player is better than the average federation player so their team is on the whole better than mine but when I am unable to tank in my tank somethings wrong.
KDF receives no different weapons than does Federation. But since PVP is all we were given, PVP is what we do.