Lt. Commander
# 21
03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianalliance View Post
KDF receives no different weapons than does Federation. But since PVP is all we were given, PVP is what we do.
Well I will say my klingon opponents have excellent tactics and teamwork its pretty fun seeing what traps they design whats not fun is watching starfleet team members falling for every single one and even trying to take on the entire klingon fleet. I need to play with my fleet more I guess so we can train.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianalliance View Post
KDF receives no different weapons than does Federation.
Carriers. Which also allows for Tachyon Drones.
Aceton Assimilators.
Theta Radiation.

Are a few of the things that come to mind...
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
Carriers. Which also allows for Tachyon Drones.
Aceton Assimilators.
Theta Radiation.

Are a few of the things that come to mind...
None of these are actual weapons.

Carriers are ships and Tachyon Drones are pets.
Acetone Assimilators are a console pet spawn.
Venting Theta Radiation is not a weapon but a Boff Science skill.

Your premise was faulty, therefore, your conclusion invalid.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
pvp in STO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7KYmGnj40

I was once a pvp'er, but the devs didn't care. I went to other games for the pvp action.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Maps are good, but I would like to see PVP gear. The new STF Gear is awesome and good goals when you are at end content. So it would be nice to have some new PVP sets.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
PvP Gear Please. More places like Ker'rat (without the silly bugs), but toss the Borg off a cliff. Dump FvF/KvK all they do is reduce the pvp pool which is already too small.

PvP is where the true longevity of an MMO lies. Sure you can drown people in STFs, but I for one have yet to run one and probably never will. Not even to get an Accolade. I had enough of pve leveling to 50. What I want is pvp, what I need to be convinced to play STO longterm is pvp.

Stop cradling the playerbase in a cloud of ridiculous safety and open up the wargates. You don't want to pvp in STO? Stay in your home sector and duel outside ESB.

Star Trek is about risk and averting disaster... or just flirting with it. Star Trek is all about things not going according to plan, they made how many episodes about the dull daily life aboard a starship? Yeah, a person without arms could count them with their fingers.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Trust me (if you are willing), we need a new "system" I forget which interview Dan mentions "why" on, but there is a reason. Such a new system would allow even more content for PvP. I know you may be doubtful, but, time will tell

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
You're kidding, right? Didn't the entire set of skills (along with a number of other things) get a total revamp early this year or late last? And now the devs are working on revamping systems yet again?

At some point you need to stop stirring the pot, and consider if you need more salt, pepper, or other ingredients to liven it up. Continually messing with the equation is a Bad Thing (tm), especially in a F2P game where people have to spend money over and over to re-do their characters and gear, because some crafty dev decided they wanted to change everything.

An ending note, and this one is deadly serious: I left Runes of Magic because they continually implemented "planned obsolescence". Every 3-6 months I had to go out and fetch/quest/raid for new gear, because my old was totally obsolete due to new introductions. In a normal subscription-based MMO that isn't a big deal, because none of it costs anything. With a cash shop, it means I'm paying out the nose every 3-6 months to do upgrades. People catch on to that quick - I did and couldn't leave fast enough. They lost my purchasing power, and soon after I left so did my guild - all 100+ of us.

Be careful you don't implement planned obsolescence.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesin
And now the devs are working on revamping systems yet again?
No, they aren't. What Brandon is referring to (as I've said in my previous post) is that their next code branch will include infrastructure that makes it easier to set up PvP objectives for maps. Stahl talks about it briefly in his latest interview on STOked.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesin
You're kidding, right? Didn't the entire set of skills (along with a number of other things) get a total revamp early this year or late last? And now the devs are working on revamping systems yet again?

At some point you need to stop stirring the pot, and consider if you need more salt, pepper, or other ingredients to liven it up. Continually messing with the equation is a Bad Thing (tm), especially in a F2P game where people have to spend money over and over to re-do their characters and gear, because some crafty dev decided they wanted to change everything.
This is one of the things that destroyed Star Wars Galaxies. Every time players got used to one change, SOE would change things up again. People got tired of revamp after revamp... Oh... and Contet was the big problem over there as well. They claimed that the NGE was going to make it easier to add content, and yet it took them a year and a half AFTER the NGE to deliver the first Heroic mission (AKA Raid)

I never thought anyone would beat SOE at sucking at content delivery, but Cryptic has done it by seven months.

Quote:
An ending note, and this one is deadly serious: I left Runes of Magic because they continually implemented "planned obsolescence". Every 3-6 months I had to go out and fetch/quest/raid for new gear, because my old was totally obsolete due to new introductions. In a normal subscription-based MMO that isn't a big deal, because none of it costs anything. With a cash shop, it means I'm paying out the nose every 3-6 months to do upgrades. People catch on to that quick - I did and couldn't leave fast enough. They lost my purchasing power, and soon after I left so did my guild - all 100+ of us.

Be careful you don't implement planned obsolescence.
Actually, this is less of an issue in STO even if they go that route. Nothing is bought without C-points, and The Dilithium excchange allows them to be obtained without spending a dime of real life money. And besides. Sales of C-store stuff is their primary source of revenue since they cannot be bothered to make gold membership truly worth it over silver membership.

If they sell access to playable content (not direct gear purchases) on the C-store, then I would buy C-points for it. I want to pay for the game. But I want to pay for it at my own pace. If I'm not ready for content pack 3 because I either have not finished content pack 2, or am running short of ny disposable income, then the option not to buy it should be there.

This is one of those cases where instances can serve this game very well. I can go to Bajor and I have the option to beam down or do Episode 2 of the 2800, if I haven't done it yet. You take your unlockable content associated with a planet and have it where the option to enter it doesn't show up unless you've unlocked it. If you have, you get the option to just beam down or begin/continue [content name].

If they could hire enough people to produce ONE MISSION per week and charge silver players 300CP per character for it (silver) or allow free access to it (gold), then there would be a viable recurring product that silvers get to opt in on if they want it.

Yes. Monetize the content. Give us something regular to opt in for.

In the event that Cryptic misses a week's mission, let them charge 225 CP for mission unlocks and go back to regular price the following week when the mission releases.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Trust me (if you are willing), we need a new "system" I forget which interview Dan mentions "why" on, but there is a reason. Such a new system would allow even more content for PvP. I know you may be doubtful, but, time will tell

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Doubtful isn't the word.

I don't beleive a word he says.

We've been here before.