Lt. Commander
# 31
03-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromgold View Post
In two years pvp has not gotten one bit of new content.
I agree with your post, but this is untrue. We did get the Shanty Town ground PvP map post launch.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I would bother with pvp if I had something to protect or fight for. Otherwise is just people beating their chest when one player beats the other. I'm not saying there is something wrong with beating your chest, it's just not my style.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
pvp gives meaning to clans / fleets in MMOs, without that... why even be in a fleet? So, I can say I'm in a fleet that doesn't have much meaning.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm not a PVP'er myself, but to see that a lot of them are saying there's nothing wrong with the system shows cryptics stupidity, why fix what isn't broke, this is part of the problem, they keep screwing with the game systems instead of adding to them.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I was playing a private 1 on 1 pvp battle with a fellow vice admiral in my fleet. It was really fantastic, I actually felt like I was in a Wratth of Khan space battle it took forever for us to kill each other we were about equal in skill and in ships but my ship was a little better due to MACO gear so I won. Still it was quite a romp! I was practically cheering when that last tricobalt torpedo hit!
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoVonCat View Post
pvp gives meaning to clans / fleets in MMOs, without that... why even be in a fleet? So, I can say I'm in a fleet that doesn't have much meaning.
I don't know... I've been in guilds and player associations and fleets or whatever else you call system-supported collectives. I've never PvPed.

At its core, player group is exactly that. A group of players. Perhaps these players know each other from other games, or happened upon each other in a tight spot and forged a bond of friendship while getting out of it.

PvP is merely a playstyle like any other.

When I played Star Wars Galaxies, I wandered into a player city that had a very rich source of radioactive resources on its outskirts. Manually harvesting those resources was dangerous as they would damage your health. There was enough room to to place Fusion Ion Generators and mine the source, but because I was not a citizen, I could not build within their borders. It so happened that the mayor of that city was online at that time. He invited me to his office and we discussed the situation. This was a guild city. Only Guild members were allowed to become citizens. I was offered membership and a house. that deposit of resources was very lucrative. Besides, having a city to operate out of and regular customers who lived there seemed like a good Idea. I accepted.

I was given a uniform a house deed and was granted zoning rights. The mayor took me to where new members were building. very close to that radioactive concentration. I placed my house, and then placed my generators.

Over the next few days, I stockpiled my harvest and sold it on my vendor. Out of gratitude, I donated 10% of my profits to the city treasury... An amount which paid for ALL of the city's upkeep and expenses at least three times over. People knew who I was, and I knew who they were. I ran an energy supply business out of that city, which achieved metropolis status, leading up to the NGE.

When the NGE happened I quit for a time. My house was paid up for several months. When I came back, the whole city was gone. The guild was disbanded. My house was the only one as far as I could see in any direction. One systemic change too many and for no good reason destroyed a guild that had enough members to constitute a metropolis tier city.

THIS is why I am against systemic revamps under the guise of being able to more easlily add content. That was the line of BS SOE fed us, and it took them one and a half years after the NGE to get around to adding content.

As for PvP being the reason for fleets? Nah. I know from experience that is not the case. Now if PvP is the end-all and be-all of MMOs for you, and you've gravitated to guilds/fleets consisting of like-minded players, I can see how you could consider it to be so.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
THIS is why I am against systemic revamps under the guise of being able to more easlily add content. That was the line of BS SOE fed us, and it took them one and a half years after the NGE to get around to adding content.
From what I've read about SW:G, NGE wasn't simply "one revamp too many", it was an abrupt change of direction that included practically RIPPING OUT CORE ENGAGEMENTS of the game that the playerbase was fond of (complex player-driven economy with many non-combat professions).

It's a fallacy to point to NGE and oppose any change based on that. A revamp is only a problem if the result is a game that can only be enjoyed for different reasons than before. The only equivalent I could imagine with STO would be: taking out all the episode missions and the Foundry, and focusing entirely on procedurally-generated content and PvP.

Also, as I'm about to point out for the third time (I guess I'm gonna have to keep linking to the Stahl interview on each page of this thread): nobody's even talking about a gameplay revamp here! The new system Brandon referred to is purely technical stuff that makes it easier for the content team to set up PvP objectives on maps.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
The new system Brandon referred to is purely technical stuff that makes it easier for the content team to set up PvP objectives on maps.
Kind of like the revamp to exploration that DStahl has been teasing the players with for almost 2 years? Or is it more like the revamp to textures and hair that was promised?

One was going to revolutionize the Star Trek "experience" by making it feel more like you can explore the galaxy. The other was going to be the foundation and starting point for fleshing out the customization for the KDF side of the game.

Neither happened because they couldn't maintain staffing.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Well, unlike your examples, this one is not "scheduled for possible long-term design discussions" or whatever - it exists RIGHT NOW. It's in the engine, developed for a different Cryptic project, STO just hasn't moved to that code branch yet. (Then again, this information is coming from the same EP who claimed to have playtested the first episode of Series 4 last August, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
[...] the revamp to textures and hair that was promised [...] was going to be the foundation and starting point for fleshing out the customization for the KDF side of the game.
Yeah, I know, and that one was first brought up when players were disgruntled about the C-Store Caitians not having manes. In June 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-14-2012, 08:21 AM
To answer the OP yes Cyptic cares about PvP. Unfortunately they care about everything else more.

Which makes me sad because space pvp is primarily why I played STO in the past.