Lt. Commander
I am one of those people that is simply NEVER going to open a Cardie lock box. I have no desire to fly a Cardie or Dominion ship, and I have even less desire to waste my time and money buying keys. So, I just discard every lock box I collect, and I try to avoid collecting them, for the most part.

I also PvP a lot, and I hate it when the stupid "Need or Greed" box comes up in my face during a PvP match. I'm NEVER going to open one, why do I have to pass on EACH ONE? It's stupid, and it's tantamount to spamming.

On ground maps, they are WAY too huge, and they look stupid hovering there in the air. (Granted, the "loot spheres" have always looked stupid from an RP/in-universe perspective, but the lock boxes take this to a new level.)

After seeing SOOO many of them, I'm really ready to never see one ever again.

I just want some way to "Opt out" of the entire lock box system. I'm never going to open one, and all they do is annoy me, so I never want to have to see them. I would GLADLY give up all my future rights at lock box contents to have the option to never see any of them again.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Agreed
I would like to see a looting options page, where you can ignore/skip all items by type, or quality.

So promotionals could be blocked, as with other useless junk.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
In a standard, no thrills, 1-50... you'll come across somewhere between 250-400 or so boxes. Depending on what you, you could see even more. Considering they only stack to 10, they can quickly eat up your inventory and bank slots (if you're also collecting crafting materials). You could play the mail game, storing them in mail, etc.

But no doubt, it quickly turned into a "whatever" scenario - where they are simply deleted via a right-click discard all.

They drop more than anything else. At times, they drop more than anything else combined.

PWE/Cryptic may have made more money off of them were they in of themselves rare...rarer.

As is, they're a frustrating joke.

Personally, I'd be more likely to buy keys if it were a case that I came across a handful of them - rather than a boatload of them. When you pick up 10-15 of them in a mission, there is that subconscious thought that if you buy a single key - you might unlock the "wrong" box. One of the others might have the "prize" while the one you open has batteries, meh. Is it a case of buying 10-15 keys each mission? Nope. It's a case of discarding 10-15 boxes each mission.

Now if you only picked up 1-2 boxes... your odds are no different, but there is not that sense that you're buying the key for the "wrong" box. It's that dropping 1-2 bucks on a scratch off or lottery ticket.

To an extent, we've seen this in folks that only bother with Gold boxes. They just toss the Green boxes.

My favorite incident so far leaves me torn between two:

Destroying three heavy Undine torps in a row and receiving three boxes or a fight against five mobs where all five mobs dropped a box (but nothing else).
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I would like this.

or... just change the loot mode in pvp to "round robin" as first solution
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Screw it...

/signed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post
I am one of those people that is simply NEVER going to open a Cardie lock box. I have no desire to fly a Cardie or Dominion ship, and I have even less desire to waste my time and money buying keys. So, I just discard every lock box I collect, and I try to avoid collecting them, for the most part.

I also PvP a lot, and I hate it when the stupid "Need or Greed" box comes up in my face during a PvP match. I'm NEVER going to open one, why do I have to pass on EACH ONE? It's stupid, and it's tantamount to spamming.

On ground maps, they are WAY too huge, and they look stupid hovering there in the air. (Granted, the "loot spheres" have always looked stupid from an RP/in-universe perspective, but the lock boxes take this to a new level.)

After seeing SOOO many of them, I'm really ready to never see one ever again.

I just want some way to "Opt out" of the entire lock box system. I'm never going to open one, and all they do is annoy me, so I never want to have to see them. I would GLADLY give up all my future rights at lock box contents to have the option to never see any of them again.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Yes, I feel exactly the same way. I get super spammed by them in pvp, and I feel like I'm trying to fight the lock boxes, as well. They take up about 1 /5 of my screen and block my visuals so much that I can't see some of the things that are going on around me. Are the enemies flying in the bottom-left portion of my screen? Doesn't matter because the lock boxes are more important. Yeah, that is spamming.

In singeplayer, they are the silliest thing I have ever seen. In fact, I couldn't even see the jem'hadar who were shooting at me in facility 4028 because a giant hovering box was blocking my view. Awful.

Signed for an option to eliminate the lock box completely-no showing up on our screen, no lock boxes drops, no lock boxes show up in the exchange, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2012, 01:49 PM
/signed I hate these stupid boxes. At the very least, I wish I could just get the green quality boxes to stop dropping. I'll never open them. I've been suckered into opening a few Gold boxes that have dropped for me because as much as I hate this Lock Box cash grab tactic, I still really want a Galor. I just buy the keys off the Exchange because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I directly spent real money on this "event".
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I completely agree, but at the same time I know it's not going to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
It also doesn't help that the boxes themselves are by far the largest objects on screen when they spawn. the drastically outsize any of the of the other loot the game drops. They are larger than player turrets and dependables. They drop with insane frequency, from objects that do not even normally drop loot (plasma torpedoes).

I would love to have a way to opt out of seeing the boxes, out of having them thrust in my face while trying to clear loot, from having to constantly slow my game play to manage this onslaught. Could I just pay $5 and never be bothered with this sort of garbage again? It seriously detracts from game play.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
It also doesn't help that the boxes themselves are by far the largest objects on screen when they spawn. the drastically outsize any of the of the other loot the game drops. They are larger than player turrets and dependables. They drop with insane frequency, from objects that do not even normally drop loot (plasma torpedoes).

I would love to have a way to opt out of seeing the boxes, out of having them thrust in my face while trying to clear loot, from having to constantly slow my game play to manage this onslaught. Could I just pay $5 and never be bothered with this sort of garbage again? It seriously detracts from game play.
Omg, lol!!! If Cryptic gave us a an opt out of lock boxes completely option for $5, I would pay for it in a heart beat. No joke either.