Lt. Commander
My absolute favorite thing about STO is the unhindered economy. There is no tax on the exchange. Cryptic Point values are determined almost entirely (with only a range limitation) by the players. There is no natural arch or diminishing returns on wealth generation, and investments become much less risky as you are not gambling against a deposit on sales.

I've heard complaints about this, as though it was because they didn't 'put much effort' into the exchange system, but I hope it was intentional, as everyone knows 'opportunity plus instinct equals profit"
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
The only issue I have is that without an Exchange tax many people just use the Exchange as a free bank to hold 40 items. And then that makes things more cluttered and a little more difficult as far as searching for something specific.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
How exactly is anything more cluttered if there are some additional items for 999m at the end of your search results (or if beyond 400 items even invisible)? ...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Well it does expire.. anyone who wants to go through THAT much effort all the while hindering their own economic growth to harbor indecision over items they may want in the future should be able to express that, as their stupidity is punishing them enough already.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2012, 05:35 PM
considering the exchange is cross linked that 400 can be alot shorter some times, when 5-10 per pane of 25 are KDF or Fed, 400, turns into 300 or less quick.

Ec is worthless in the game, I barely play it and make enough to cover all my needs, daily. and Considering I don't spend dil, for anything, thats just another waste for me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
The free market shall set you free.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
It is all just an illusion. Currency keeps coming into the economy without having an equal method for it to go out, this breeds hyperinflation. Generally, the types of currency need to be limited or indexed against one another in such a way that is not currently implemented. The C-point/Dilithium thing is problematic because you can always add more of both and there is no requirement to spend either one. The Dilithium Exchange can eventually just be a massive shift of C-points to Dilithium and back again, cornering the market and driving the exchange rate up so high that no one dares spend it.

Ideally we need a way of making the monetary system a closed one with single input and output variables as a hedge against inflation. Taxes are an easy way to introduce this - particularly a transfer tax on converting dilithium to C-points and back. Anything to discourage speculation in the market. And while energy credits are a rather superfluous currency, they should be eliminated and replaced with GPL as a single-use currency.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
It is all just an illusion. Currency keeps coming into the economy without having an equal method for it to go out, this breeds hyperinflation. Generally, the types of currency need to be limited or indexed against one another in such a way that is not currently implemented. The C-point/Dilithium thing is problematic because you can always add more of both and there is no requirement to spend either one. The Dilithium Exchange can eventually just be a massive shift of C-points to Dilithium and back again, cornering the market and driving the exchange rate up so high that no one dares spend it.

Ideally we need a way of making the monetary system a closed one with single input and output variables as a hedge against inflation. Taxes are an easy way to introduce this - particularly a transfer tax on converting dilithium to C-points and back. Anything to discourage speculation in the market. And while energy credits are a rather superfluous currency, they should be eliminated and replaced with GPL as a single-use currency.
I think you may have mistook "unhindered' for "healthy".

The two are not the same. STO's economy is not regulated, but like most unregulated economies it's also pretty unhealthy.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I'd say it is regulated. There's a cap on max EC's for silver players. There's also a "range" for Dilithium and C-Points on the DX. And there's a cap on refined Dilithium per day. It's not completely unhindered. There's checks and balances.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
I think you may have mistook "unhindered' for "healthy".

The two are not the same. STO's economy is not regulated, but like most unregulated economies it's also pretty unhealthy.
Oh, it is that too. But it is a very hindered economy. I understand that PW wants to make the most money they can, but at some point they really just need to take a hands-off approach to an internal economy. Economic processes are slow things and they need to be nurtured until maturity. A free market will stabilize itself given enough time, but much like the American FED and QE, when they want fast results they stand the risk of disastrous long-term consequences.

Right now they're pumping more dilithium into the system in the hopes of chasing out the inexpensive C-points in the exchange. What this ultimately will do is create a massive surplus of dilithium which will need to be taken out of the game and this will happen by buying even more c-points which drives up the need for more dilithium to buy more c-points - unfortunately, what it also does is create a speculator's market where people with C-points in the exchange can cash out for huge quantities of dilithium and then buy back the c-points as the market goes down. Rinse, repeat... This ends up tying up potentially limitless numbers of dilithium and c-points in the exchange and never gets them to actually function as intended.

We fix that by introducing a tax on the number of transactions people undertake.