Lt. Commander
# 11
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
We fix that by introducing a tax on the number of transactions people undertake.
A million times no. I speculate on the market constantly. I've managed to double my c-points/dilithium by doing just that. For those without economic minds, I get it. I understand not everybody is into doing things like this, but for players who have been working against hindered economies (wow for one example), it's a very nice change to actually make playing the economy viable.

I am quite surprised so many people are against this though.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenanti
I am quite surprised so many people are against this though.
Because if you're a Silver player who wants things out of the store, its a one-way street (why would you EVER trade points for dil?). And with the grind for anything taking weeks, a little more stability would be nice. I mean the price of a C-Point has gone up 20% in just the last few days, which is really disheartening when it was stable for the first month of free play. Why the change?
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
Oh, it is that too. But it is a very hindered economy. I understand that PW wants to make the most money they can, but at some point they really just need to take a hands-off approach to an internal economy. Economic processes are slow things and they need to be nurtured until maturity. A free market will stabilize itself given enough time, but much like the American FED and QE, when they want fast results they stand the risk of disastrous long-term consequences.

Right now they're pumping more dilithium into the system in the hopes of chasing out the inexpensive C-points in the exchange. What this ultimately will do is create a massive surplus of dilithium which will need to be taken out of the game and this will happen by buying even more c-points which drives up the need for more dilithium to buy more c-points - unfortunately, what it also does is create a speculator's market where people with C-points in the exchange can cash out for huge quantities of dilithium and then buy back the c-points as the market goes down. Rinse, repeat... This ends up tying up potentially limitless numbers of dilithium and c-points in the exchange and never gets them to actually function as intended.

We fix that by introducing a tax on the number of transactions people undertake.
tl;dr version is that you want the dilithium exhchange to be illiquid and for it to be difficult to trade dilithium and cp. This is a really bad idea and I hope Cryptic never consider this terrible idea. The dil exchange is fun and entertaining game play especially seeing people get badly burnt during the process of random speculation. It's also a market that no one has to participate in. If you don't want to buy or sell cp on the exchange you don't have to. You could even just buy the cp and buy stuff direction from the c store without interacting with the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
A free unregulated market is the healthiest economy! I like the system the way it is.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
your wrong. but i've removed my response because it violates cryptic forum rules to discuss politics.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Nothing was ever quite like the greek city states. If people want to speculate (rather than trade) on the dil exchange they need to be prepared for losses. Any speculation is at your own risk. In saying that financial pvp is the best pvp.

edit: To complete this discussion topic. Most people are not familiar with mostly unregulated markets as they are protected by various laws that are there to control certain (very profitable) practices. I'd recommend looking up trading tactics in currency markets and concepts such as market dumping. These are all things that are illegal in the majority of countries around the world but are good fun on MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devian666
Nothing was ever quite like the greek city states. .
I don't think that's what he meant my Greece. Modern greece's economy is crashing, and he believes capitalism is to blame, apparently.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-15-2012, 04:37 AM
The economy in this game isn't a free market. It isn't even close to a free market. Don't believe me? Try to refine 20,000 DIlithium TODAY. Just today. Let me know how it goes.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The economy in this game isn't a free market. It isn't even close to a free market. Don't believe me? Try to refine 20,000 DIlithium TODAY. Just today. Let me know how it goes.
I can refine 32k a day.