Lt. Commander
Hello,

I've really enjoyed playing STO for the last couple years. One thing, however, has irked me slightly since day one. The bridges...

Although I became a Trek fan back in the TOS days, the bridges I enjoyed the most were those of the Galaxy, Sovereign, and Intrepid-class ships. Specifically, the placement of the captain's chair.

Whilst the constitution, ambassador, excelsior and Defiant all had single captain's chairs which were center-stage and slightly elevated. This is currently our only choice of bridge configuration (regarding placement/config of the captain's chair area). Now, I understand that having this config might be the preference of some, I think it would be a cool option to be able to have a bridge setup similar to TNG/Voy, where the captain's chair is flanked by the first officers chair and another for guests or another officer.

I've never thought to post this before, but I noticed that the Odyssey class actually HAS the bridge setup that I would prefer.

Without trying to get all caught up in the semantics of Canon material, yadda yadda yadda...I submit that in the bonus material section of the TNG season 3 DvD set, they explain how and why they redress the Galaxy Bridge for the TNG episode "Yesterday's Enterprise"....

Not sure if it was Ira Stephen Behr or Andrew Probert who said it, but to paraphrase...when redressing the Galaxy bridge from the existing TNG universe to the alternate universe, they purpose changed the placement of the captain's chair, formerly placed lower and amongst the other bridge crew (thus portraying a "more collaborative feel" ie. democratic), to moving the captain's chair to a more elevated, isolated position in order to symbolize more of a dictatorship-type position.

galaxy bridge as we know it: CLICKY

galaxy bridge redresses for war: CLICKY

The redress bridge resembles our only bridge choices in STO.

IMO, putting my first officer in the chair next to the captain's chair would help to create a more immersive bridge experience.

*raises Romulan Ale*

So whaddya say dear devs?

Make it so number one.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Here, Here!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Just to add in, I avoid the multi-chair bridges. I don't want random Ensign Bob sitting in my first officers chair with my first officer is sitting at the Helm. Until we can direct seating on our bridge, I'll be avoiding the bridges with multi-chairs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarium View Post
Just to add in, I avoid the multi-chair bridges. I don't want random Ensign Bob sitting in my first officers chair with my first officer is sitting at the Helm. Until we can direct seating on our bridge, I'll be avoiding the bridges with multi-chairs.
Agreed. While I like the idea of secondary command chairs, I don't like my Jem'Hadar sitting in the seat that my XO should be occupying while she's apparently standing at the helm (ignoring the chair for some reason), possibly correcting his mistakes. Granted, in his former career he was likely more oriented towards vaporizing problems by hand than flying the ship, but still.

While I'm at it, while the Ody bridge is pretty neat (if somewhat impractical when you think about it), why are half the consoles on mine empty, and half of my bridge officers standing around doing nothing but staring? Seems kind of counter-intuitive that the most complex Federation starship in history basically has a bunch of the best experts in the quadrant standing around and nodding instead of actually doing work (or, if the computer does their job for them, letting them do other tasks).

Yeah, small nitpick, but I thought I ought to toss it out there.