Lt. Commander
# 21
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issueman
Maybe you don't understand the concept of conditioning via the skinner box method. The reason you cant get the purple rares via the EDC method is continued game play. If the developers can condition someone to play the elite STF's for the better MK XII gear; you can prolong the play of someone who has completed all the missions and has all the rewards. How often do you repeat missions for 'the fun of it'? It's very rare and if STO relied on that aspect the game would have crashed long ago.

All I'm asking for is CONTENT, not to be confused with gear or rewards. I want something that when I log on I want to fight for a cause. This is where Eve Online excels, not via pve but through the sov warfare of 0.0 security space. There is player generated conflict and cause to fight, this translate into a 'want' to play the game.
My position was that it's not conditioning. As I said, in MMOs nobody is conditioned to work hard for the highest level gear -- a few people do it, but the vast majority are fine with the easier content. Cryptic isn't relying on it as much as they just haven't been able to make new content for various reasons, and now they're working on C-Store items more than real new content.

The STFs are just the only content available. I think you're reading too much into them to think they created some grand plan where they psychologically trap people into doing the STFs over and over again; the truth of it is, they just haven't made new content. That's it. They know it's a huge problem, but for various reasons, they haven't addressed it yet.

I'm not apologizing for them, though. These STFs have been pretty much the only endgame stuff for years, they only restructured them into halves and made them accessible via the queue during the F2P transition. I agree that the lack of real content is horrible. Cryptic definitely needs to give players a lot more to do. I just wouldn't go thinking there's more to it than there really is.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Heh I know, the 'bring it to light' thing made me chuckle though' . It is an ok post otherwise
Lol, not something I learned today. But admit you weren't too impressed with the latest FE were you? Or am I the only one who feels the F2P model made Cryptic cheap.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
This is where the conditioning is used. You may not find the act fun, but you are conditioned to play that mode until you have that treat. Or until you realize that 'hey this isn't fun anymore'.
There is a dangling carrot there of items sets, dil, ec from selling gear and blue/purple doffs. The thing is there are numerous other ways to obtain them. The effect you describe is in action which is obvious because of either people being extremely abusive in STFs or you find similar players complaining endlessly about STFs. Though last night someone asked if any STFs were running in the fleet and no one was interested. I think there's a level of STF burn out where people are taking a break either from the game or running different content.

On the WoW side of things Blizzard are aware that players use up all of the content quickly and the limited-specific loot tables for each instance are the only thing that drives people to replay them. This does lead to people playing them for loot instead of fun and it creates terrible player behaviour. That's where people realise the worst thing about multi-player games is the other players.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devian666
There is a dangling carrot there of items sets, dil, ec from selling gear and blue/purple doffs. The thing is there are numerous other ways to obtain them. The effect you describe is in action which is obvious because of either people being extremely abusive in STFs or you find similar players complaining endlessly about STFs. Though last night someone asked if any STFs were running in the fleet and no one was interested. I think there's a level of STF burn out where people are taking a break either from the game or running different content.

On the WoW side of things Blizzard are aware that players use up all of the content quickly and the limited-specific loot tables for each instance are the only thing that drives people to replay them. This does lead to people playing them for loot instead of fun and it creates terrible player behaviour. That's where people realise the worst thing about multi-player games is the other players.
There is only one way to obtain mk XII gear... that's the issue! You cant go run missions to get maco gear, you run stf's. But instead of running after the carrot, why cant Cryptic make a mission that is worth playing because it's an AMAZING mission that I WANT to play over and over! That's what I'm trying to say! Get away from the carrot and more into CONTENT.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
There have been quite a few demands to have other methods to get mk XII gear. Cryptic have made a change that means mk XII gear drops outside of STFs and there is current a doff mission chain (currently bugged) that gives a chance to get high end mk XII gear.

If people want their MACO/Honor set mk XII there's only one way to get them. Is there a relevant difference between mk XI and the more difficult to obtain mk XII? Not for me, I really don't care. Some of the more OCD or epeen waving players may find it to be enough of a difference. The only ones that can make a true change are the players themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:
There is only one way to obtain mk XII gear... that's the issue! You cant go run missions to get maco gear, you run stf's. But instead of running after the carrot, why cant Cryptic make a mission that is worth playing because it's an AMAZING mission that I WANT to play over and over! That's what I'm trying to say! Get away from the carrot and more into CONTENT.
Any mission, no matter how awesome, becomes a treadmill grind the fourth or fifth time onwards. It could be absolutely amazing, but nothing ever holds up on repetition.

Still, I agree. They need more dailies, and dailies that can lead up to some Mk X or Mk XI set gear that can be a viable alternative for MACO and Omega Force stuff. Maybe even doesn't have to be quite AS good, but variety is always nice. I do hate being chained to the STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Interesting read but I find this sort of stuff just a load of psychobabble. Maybe you are looking for something that is not there though?

I am one of those players that don't play STF's(or PVP) . They don't interest me, the rewards don't interest me, the team play doesn't interest me. I love the FE's and like the last series because of the Story Content. I wish there were more. I don't play STO for the addiction of acquiring items (sure its nice), but I play as an escape into a world that I love - Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Perhaps Microsoft could take some advice on the skinner box method.

This video is a good behavioural mini-study on typical user interaction with Windows 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=v4boTbv9_nU
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
That is entertaining, but doesn't fit. Due to the fact psychology is the major focus of this article.
Note that the conditional operand (relevance to the subject) is just that - conditional. Hence, it's still relevant. I mean, it's great that you might have an understanding of the field, but using credentials as an opening to an argument comes off as conceited, appending it with "it doesn't matter from where" makes the credential seem patently false. Why should I bother reading anything else you'd have to say after that?

Congrats on the edit, but I'm just not interested at this point.