Lt. Commander
This week's Captain's Log column at Massively focuses on the Foundry.

Link to the news article.

*Screenshot from @Soriedem's Foundry mission "Risian Sunset"
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Sibnse when were we able to use shuttles on ground for props
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
.... personally, I like when Terilyn focuses on anything.

BTW, when are the Terilyn boots hitting the costume options?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
.... personally, I like when Terilyn focuses on anything.

BTW, when are the Terilyn boots hitting the costume options?
LOL, would look awesome on a Klingon Mistress
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Sibnse when were we able to use shuttles on ground for props
Since a couple of months ago. I remember seeing them available for use.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Now Cryptic put a little focus on the Foundry, I want more stuff and things!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Since a couple of months ago. I remember seeing them available for use.
They've been available for a long time. I use one in the first installment of my "Ghosts of War" series which I first published last September or so (and have been frequently fixing & upgrading ever since).
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-89471 View Post
They've been available for a long time. I use one in the first installment of my "Ghosts of War" series which I first published last September or so (and have been frequently fixing & upgrading ever since).
I used them on Tribble before the Foundry went live on Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Return to Terra Nova could never be made by Cryptic, and not because it's not a good mission. It's a great mission! But it doesn't have any combat. Nothing!
I would like to add that Cryptic has tried its hand in diplomacy missions. With the exception of one or two, they were not very good stories. To make matters worse, the corresponding diplomacy system was an unimaginative grind.

It's not that Cryptic can't do it. They just aren't very good at it, in my opinion. Although, I have always appreciated their rare attempts to give players something to do beside kill, kill, kill.

They are simply not very good at telling engaging Star Trek stories that seem immersive through text alone. They touchstone best with ships, sets, and "prune juice" drops, while this 8 front war spirals far beyond the realm of reasonable story-telling and coherency.

Yes, it's a video game. That doesn't really account for how bad and thoroughly unimaginative some of the stories are, a few FEs included. I'm not trying to knock any particular dev, but something is getting lost in the mix or never included.

It would be nice to see the parts that they are good at (art, etc) work better with the folks who tell good stories, using those great assets. Otherwise, it would be more of the same, with a sustained continuation of "Wow, that looks cool" and "Wow, that's a major plot hole!" not to mention "Why am I killing civilians?"
Lt. Commander
# 10 On the brighter side...
03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Kirkfat, I hear what you're saying, I totally do. And, as someone who plays half a dozen community-authored missions a day, I do appreciate your Foundry efforts.

But on the brighter side, at least STO doesn't suck, like every other ST computer game that has ever been.

Seriously. I'm 52. I remember watching STOS when it was new, and with every week's episode, next day at school, (1st grade, IIRC), the hot topic at first recess was what happened in Star Trek last night. Of course, we called it "Star Track" because the word "Trek" meaning a long journey, just wasn't in our 6-year-old vocabularies.

The only good Star Trek game I had ever played before STO was Starfleet Battles, and that was a pencil and paper game, before the PC revolution took place.

Prompted by my love of STO, I dug out my old copy of BOTF, (Birth Of The Federation), and gave it another spin. Nope, it still sucks.

I would even go so far as to say that playing STO has disproved an axiom that I had previously taken to be gospel truth, namely that -

Any MMO based upon a pre-existing game universe will suck, by definition. This is because the devs will inevitably be forced to choose between making the decision that makes a good game, and making the decision that remains true to canon.

As I say, Star Trek Online has, (at least largely), defied that axiom, and I have never seen another exception, or even a partial exception. That, at the very least, is cause for at least a few hellelujahs