Lt. Commander
Before I start this, I'd like to state very clearly that my loyalties are to the phaser. That having been said, I would like to draw a completely hypothetical parallel to Star Wars MMOs.

Star Wars Galaxies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies
Servers shut down due to massive player upheaval over drastic changes to the game. The Enhanced Combat system cut the number of classes down drastically, and almost every player who stuck through a good deal of the time will almost always have the same complaints. They changed drastically, didn't listen to the players. Their Development staff was too small, they were underfunded, and the decision was made to cut out all the complicated stuff, so the poor dev's team's jobs could be simpler.

Before the death of Galaxies, Lucas Arts decided to not be scared of funding a game substantially. They learned not to hawk off Dev work to people who can't handle the job. They learned not to drastically change a game without first consulting with the fanbase. And then....

The Old Republic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...e_Old_Republic

"Although BioWare has not disclosed development costs, industry leaders and financial analysts have estimated it to be between $150 million and $200 million. If accurate, this would make it the most expensive video game ever developed"

"Star Wars: The Old Republic has received generally positive reviews from critics, with a score of 85 on Metacritic[56] and a 84.46% on Gamerankings.[55] G4TV gave a review of 5/5 and praised the game for "Top notch music and voice acting" and "hundreds of hours of content."[58] PC Gamer gave a 93/100, praising the story, voice acting, and the amount of content available.[62] Gamespy gave a review of 4/5, praising the story lines and companion system but criticising the "standard kill and fetch" quests.[64] GameSpot gave the game 8.0/10, saying "SWTOR isn't the next step in online role-playing games. Instead, it's a highly entertaining refinement of what has come before it."[65] The game has received a 9.0/10 "Amazing" rating from "

(These Cited from the wikipedia article)

They didn't skimp on the Devs in skill or quantity. They fix bugs almost immediately. The fans are willing to fork out huge amounts of cash for it.

Now we come to the parallel I was talking about.

Star Trek Online:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_trek_online

"Star Trek Online has received mixed or average reviews, garnering a 65 on Metacritic.[37] GameSpot praised the game's space combat as entertaining, but found the other aspects of the game to be "bland and shallow".[38] An IGN reviewer described the game experience as feeling like "two games" which did not mesh together well, and although visually it was "quite a gorgeous game", found much of the gameplay to be repetitive in nature."

Released under conditions of what most would call "unfinished," it bankrupted, and had to be sold off. Bought up by Cryptic studious, fan turmoil was somewhat stifled by a lot of empty promises that were never fulfilled. For example, a port to Console system was promised before launch, and never occured.

Development has been stagnant, and despite having been launched more than 6 years after world of ********, still never managed to edge out any form of sizable piece of the market.

And now it sits here, with a dev team that is understaffed and entirely too complacent, waiting to die like Star Wars Galaxies.

Will this, however, bring about a new Star Trek game? Is the fanbase young enough for another attempt to survive? I hate to admit it, but the Abrams movies might be our only hope of saving the franchise. I'm hoping, that someone up in CBS"s big chair decides "hey, let's do it again but not half *** it this time. Let's hire experienced devs, and lots of them. Let's fire them when they don't do their job. Let's make it work this time, and put those force pushers at TOR out of business"
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-15-2012, 04:25 PM
So you're hoping that PWE/Crypitc fails miserably and somebody else picks up the IP to make TOS Online?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
swtor fans are willing to fork out huge sums??? nah they dont have a cstore

swg shutdown because of changes??? no it sidnt it was shutdown to make way for swtor.

as always different opinions but in the end why is swtor suddenyl hawking friend passes/weekend passes.....they are afraid they wont get their money back?

all in all none of them connect to sto to be honest other than all3 being MMO's
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
So you're hoping that PWE/Crypitc fails miserably and somebody else picks up the IP to make TOS Online?
A curious comparison. I suppose in that context, I also hope the Berlin Wall comes down.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post

swg shutdown because of changes??? no it sidnt it was shutdown to make way for swtor.

as always different opinions but in the end why is swtor suddenyl hawking friend passes/weekend passes.....they are afraid they wont get their money back?

Please read the provided articles. The servers got down to just over 10,000 players. It died, well before TOR, and had little to do with TOR. That game was widely abandoned long before TOR's announcement.

Edit: Also, I'm not attempting to compare gameplay, styles, or lore. I only wish to engage the quality, effort, and maintenance.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:

I've noticed that the emails I get from them have gone from a couple of days free to a full week with the last one....
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
the onyl thing that killed swg was that its life started and ended during a huge change in what people wanted in MMO's Sandbox or WOW clone? SOE's attempt to change the game to get more players meant they lost those who wanted sandbox. They were just making the wrong decisions at the wrong time.
It was a gamble that didnt pay off.

As far as i know STO hasnt had a CU yet or an NGE? unless you count Crossfire in which case unlike the CU and NGE actually worked.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
As far as i know STO hasnt had a CU yet or an NGE? unless you count Crossfire in which case unlike the CU and NGE actually worked.
Free to Play
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenanti
Now we come to the parallel I was talking about.
Everything you have to say about STO is completely out of date.

Since the game went F2P, the server population has exploded. Perfect World has put the game on the right track to being a successful moneymaker, despite the cries of "the game is now Pay2Win!!!" by the veterans. That's unfortunately the way the game has gone and is unlikely to ever change.

From a success standpoint however, this is a good thing. The game is making money which means the game isn't going to die a slow death like Galaxies did. We've had our NGE with the free to play conversion and the dilithium currency mechanic, and it has not caused the game to die. As much as the very few people complain on the forums about having to pay through the nose for goodies like the +1 Odyssey and Bortasqu', players are still lining up to fork over the cash for them. Those cash transactions are what keeps this game chugging along, and chug along this game shall for a very long time.

Op, you've been playing STO for less than a month and you see fit to pass judgement on its status and future. I advise you to get lost if you think doom and gloom is the only conclusion you can reach based on your crappy analysis, or you can shut up and play the game for a while because right now you're a clueless noob who doesn't know anything.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-15-2012, 04:58 PM
A lot wrong with your post OP....