Lt. Commander
Why does every single building and station in the game seem to be designed by the same inept architect?

who would tolerate hallways that wrap around the room they are trying to get to because the door for some reason is on the opposite (wrong) side of the room? who thinks "let me make this hallways as long as possible rather than convenient and as short as possible."? simply put it makes no sense to place a door as far away from the next room simply to create a needlessly long and out of the way hallway.

Earth space dock while not as bad a Star Wars "Old Republic" fleet station are both horribly designed unlike the the pentagon, which is still the largest office building in the world you can get from anywhere in it in about 5 minutes. they actually made it to be convenient and easy to get from point A to point B. For the most part WoW had nicely designed convenient cities, is the new way of gaming to make you waste so much time running around your own bases that you play longer or do game designers simply no longer take into account how annoying it is having to run a huge circle to get from the ship seller to the bank?
Lt. Commander
# 2 ,... but then,...
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
The word is TIMESINK. Well, mainly that, anyway.

In a number of cases, you give good examples of poor station designs, but to suggest that everything in the game is designed poorly is kind of idiotic hyperbole. Let's take your last example of Earth Space Dock. If you're still running around and around the outer ring to get from point A to point B, then maybe you're a little deserving of the frustration you're experiencing. The station has these neat little central corridors that bisect the station on both the X and Y axis making travel between distant section muuuuuch quicker.

Just sayin',...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateer
The word is TIMESINK. Well, mainly that, anyway.

In a number of cases, you give good examples of poor station designs, but to suggest that everything in the game is designed poorly is kind of idiotic hyperbole. Let's take your last example of Earth Space Dock. If you're still running around and around the outer ring to get from point A to point B, then maybe you're a little deserving of the frustration you're experiencing. The station has these neat little central corridors that bisect the station on both the X and Y axis making travel between distant section muuuuuch quicker.

Just sayin',...

it is true it doe that the inter passage, it does not but honestly feel much shorter then going on the outer circle path.

but my main point is all the building and stations you transport to in the game, just look at the hallways that connect the rooms together and ask yourself who the hell would make a building like this unless you hated the people living there? in some cases they are 10 times longer (or more) then need to be.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddsloth
it is true it doe that the inter passage, it does not but honestly feel much shorter then going on the outer circle path.
It is,... trust me. Do a timed run on the outer ring between two places on opposite sides of the station. Now go back to your starting point through the center. If you've clocked both directions, you'll find that going through the center is a lot shorter than going around. It's simple geometry.

[/quote]
but my main point is all the building and stations you transport to in the game, just look at the hallways that connect the rooms together and ask yourself who the hell would make a building like this unless you hated the people living there? in some cases they are 10 times longer (or more) then need to be.[/quote]

Again, I agree. I've seen enough of those dumb designs to know you're not imagining things. What I'm saying is that this is not always the case. I could name half a dozen station/locations where this isn't true, but even more important,... you have to chill a little. This is just a game. Not even RL always makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Speaking of the ESD layout, what's the point of the lower level? I went down there once to see what it was, and it was just four totally empty corridors with turbolifts at the end.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw
Speaking of the ESD layout, what's the point of the lower level? I went down there once to see what it was, and it was just four totally empty corridors with turbolifts at the end.
we have been asking ourselves the same for more than a year.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
The only good use I've ever seen for it was as an intelligent place to start a Foundry mission in some Starfleet Officer's private office.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2012, 03:53 AM
I think the lower hallway was *meant* to be an alternate 'shortcut' without having to navigate around the central hub...but the need to find where the elevator door is *and* load the thing defeats that purpose..
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Most of it comes from how rushed Cryptic was to get this out the door. They took what small scraps the previous publisher had and were told that they needed to have a game out the door in a year I think (or maybe it was 2). The various powers wanted to try and cash in on the ST movie release, so shortcuts were taken. And updating the instance maps is probably a very small priority.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
You evidently haven't done many foundry missions, because many of those require you to go down there. I'm guessing that the lower level was designed for serving two functions: 1) foundry mission hooks, and 2) housing. Players might at some time in the future buy/rent apartments/condos down there. Fleets could have meeting halls as well.