Lt. Commander
This may have been brought up before, and if it's an old topic, I apologize for wasting your time, but some friends of mine and I were talking...

When will we see the iconic characters, as in the starring bridge crews of the various shows - especially the Next Generation crew?

We recently had the 2800 finale mission and when the Enterprise showed up, I was hoping against hope to see Captain Data, but it felt like the rug was pulled out from under me. When will we see Picard, Riker, Data, Troi, Crusher, etc? Why did we speak to the prophets in Of Bajor and not see a representation of The Emissary? Where is Benjamin Sisko? When will the game reward us with cameos of these famous characters? There are dozens of 'main' actors and we, really, havent touched any of them.

I would like to believe its because Cryptic wants to get the original actors to lend their voice talent for a more overall experience, but i find it hard to believe that many of these actors would balk at the idea OR be the reason its taken so long. Lets face it, when it comes to the Voyager cast, Im sure many of them are BEGGING for work.

I definately want to bat this around with the playerbase, but if anyone within Cryptic can speak on the details of this, we would greatly appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Data's dead, Jim...

edit: In all fairness, many are dead - are beyond retired - no longer in this universe - etc. That though, would not prevent us from triphopping through time to meet somebody other than Spock in the past.

Could be licensing - but then how did we have Spock? Could be how much they'd want for an appearance...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
Could be licensing - but then how did we have Spock? Could be how much they'd want for an appearance...
That is exactly what it is. And we have Spock because they worked out a deal with Nimoy. That doesnt mean they can afford to do the same with everyone though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgdirect View Post
This may have been brought up before, and if it's an old topic, I apologize for wasting your time, but some friends of mine and I were talking...

When will we see the iconic characters, as in the starring bridge crews of the various shows - especially the Next Generation crew?

We recently had the 2800 finale mission and when the Enterprise showed up, I was hoping against hope to see Captain Data, but it felt like the rug was pulled out from under me. When will we see Picard, Riker, Data, Troi, Crusher, etc? Why did we speak to the prophets in Of Bajor and not see a representation of The Emissary? Where is Benjamin Sisko? When will the game reward us with cameos of these famous characters? There are dozens of 'main' actors and we, really, havent touched any of them.

I would like to believe its because Cryptic wants to get the original actors to lend their voice talent for a more overall experience, but i find it hard to believe that many of these actors would balk at the idea OR be the reason its taken so long. Lets face it, when it comes to the Voyager cast, Im sure many of them are BEGGING for work.

I definately want to bat this around with the playerbase, but if anyone within Cryptic can speak on the details of this, we would greatly appreciate it.
One of the devs, I believe Al, finally commented on this awhile back.

You won't see the likeness of anyone who's in the Screen Actor's Guild.

Aliens in heavy make-up are a different story because CBS controls those character's likeness. (And before someone mentions Worf, again, Cryptic was given permission to make Worf look like Worf did in All Good Things and the version in-game was their best effort at that. Dorn was made up with pale white skin in All Good Things. I still think I'm better at using the character sliders than the content guys but, yes, that is supposed to look like Worf.)

No character played by an actor with an exposed face will appear unless that actor signs off on it for very little and no actor will perform in STO unless they quit SAG or go fi-core.

THAT SAID:

Cryptic did recast the female Founder. They recast Gul Madred. They recast Donatra. They can recast characters for the game.

And, hey, CBS/Paramount have signed off on impersonators in games before. Sisko was recast for DS9: The Fallen. Seven of Nine was recast in the initial release of Elite Forces.

So as far as that goes, it's not IMPOSSIBLE for CHARACTERS to turn up. It's very highly unlikely that any actors EVER will and generally unlikely that anyone other than aliens will turn up.

And with that, I plug my Odo impression again:
http://youtu.be/ouoa-CeBhUc

And my Data:
http://youtu.be/_dPKgXDB7y4

And my Tomalak (RIP Andreas Katsulas):
http://youtu.be/_Q_Sr98d8qs

And my Chris Latta (Kargan, Grebnedlog, Durg, Albino's guard) impression (also RIP):
http://youtu.be/KbB93EgKnuU

And my Guardian of Forever (RIP Bart LaRue):
http://youtu.be/ynZ1e-jBzh4

It's a good thing I'm not the janitor at Cryptic because I'd be pestering the audio guys all day to let me record in the sound booth.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-15-2012, 07:02 PM
i would rather they spend money on content rather than voice overs
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
Me too. If only...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Honestly, there are so many GOOD impersonators out there, I still dont see why this is a problem. I can understand if its a SAG issue, so that puts the kaibash on original actors, but impersonations can still keep these characters alive for us.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
I'd rather see them (and more companies) hire a team of combination actor/writer/content developers.

Then again, that's probably selfishness on my part since two out of those three professions have no job security or benefits anywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
I want voice-overs, but not from anyone iconic. The ships, stations, and stories of STO are strangely silent, other than the occasional paragraph read by an NPC... which then feels forced and awkward. The game needs INCIDENTAL comments to be delivered by our Bridge Officers.

I love hearing my ship's computer tell me "Shields at fifty-percent" or "Hull below seventy-five percent". That informs me of my status without having to watch my UI so closely, which then allows me to keep my eyes on the action. This could be further enhanced (and was actually IN BETA), but having our Bridge Officers deliver important information as well.

WOW does a great job with incidental comments such as "Time is money, friend" and "Remember the Sunwell", and "May your blades never dull". We could use the same in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-15-2012, 07:40 PM
That ties into something I've been wondering about. In the Klingon arc's time travel story, my Science Officer meets McCoy. I assume from the mission description that an Engineer would meet Scotty and a Tactical Officer would meet Kirk. William Shatner's still alive, but DeForest Kelley and James Doohan are gone. How does one go about licensing the likeness of a dead person?