Lt. Commander
# 11
03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Even using a 'likeness' is akin to a royalty fee...Alive or Dead, and depending on the estate or company that holds the IP rights.

Pay fee...and most times they are very high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgdirect View Post
Honestly, there are so many GOOD impersonators out there, I still dont see why this is a problem. I can understand if its a SAG issue, so that puts the kaibash on original actors, but impersonations can still keep these characters alive for us.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Scotty and Bones turn up in the devidian episodes and while not photo likeness by any means, there has at least been a stab at giving the essence of the characters look.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liath
Scotty and Bones turn up in the devidian episodes...
Do you think it's a coincidence that both actors are dead?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Without some decent lip sync coding though, I'd have to pass on most voice. I prefer sub to dub.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
being dead these days is no barrier to being sued for using someone's likeness
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Quote:
I'm sure they cleared it with whomever they needed to clear it with, but that it still was easier to use the characters of dead actors.

Or do you think it's a coincidence?
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Right but it probably makes it cheaper since it's in less demand.

Bill Shatner can make a ton of money selling his face to endorse ********.

James Doohan's family not only can't reasonably get a Doohan ******** endorsement deal... But Doohan himself was sued for playing a Scotty-like character on a sitcom.

Try to get Brent Spiner's likeness and he'll haggle on price because there's bound to be a competitor who wants it.

With deceased actor's estates, it's more of an up or down, yes or no. And I wouldn't be shocked if CBS flat out buys up the likenesses of many of its more familiar actors when they pass away because it is a lot cheaper and less complicated.

Disney wanted to use Amy Adams' animated likeness from "Enchanted" as a new Disney Princess alongside Ariel and Snow White. They determined it would be too expensive for even their deep pockets because the cartoon looked too much like the actress and to permanently buy a living actress' likeness, you have to pay a very high amount that is enough to guarantee she never sells her likeness for any other purposes ever again, for any other product or merchandise. That's a lot of money if you're looking to buy rather than rent, precisely because a living actress will get competing offers and you have to pay enough for it to be worth giving up on those.