Lt. Commander
# 11
03-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelwys
I find running one or two of them useful on my Star Cruiser.

When I tested it, adding one Mk XI RCS console gave me a better increase than taking the "Impulse thrusters" Captain skill and increasing it right up to rank 9. They do indeed work off the base turn rate, but even with a base turn rate of only 7 degrees, the higher tier ones still add 35%. This might only equate to an extra 2.5 extra degrees per second turnrate, but in practice that has generally proved quite useful at keeping foes inside my Broadside arc, and has also saved my bacon on a few occasions. YMMV.

I'd hold that they're a good option for when you've already got plenty of survivability, and aren't fighting anything that justifies cramming in yet more extra armor modules. For PVP it'd be unlikely to make much difference, but for PVE, I've found the extra maneuverability to be quite handy. On my star cruiser I generally find myself usually running one RCS plus two Armors in STFs, with the 4th slot kept free for a Universal Console... combined with Power settings, captain Skills and a good set of Engines, that's enough to put my effective turnrate up to around 13-14 degrees per second, which I find to be quite sufficient to keep me out of cube torpedo arcs.
I'm not able to log in righ tnow, but in my GX, when I equip a 35% RCS, I would expect a 2deg increase, however it is not, i get 1 deg increase because they are multaplive and not addative. Just try it, and it will not give you any where near what you think it should.

I have a turn of 9.4 with o RCS, and get a turn rate of 11.5 with 2!!
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krio2009 View Post
cool, my current ship load out is;

Fore weapons
Polaron Beam Array Mk XI (CrtH] [DMG]x2
phaser beam array Mk X
Phaser beam array Mk X

Aft weapons
Phaser Beam Array Mk X
Phaser Beam Array Mk X
antiproton beam array Mk XI [Crth] [Dmg]x2

deflector mx X
Jem'hadar impulse mk xi
Jem'hadar Resilient Shield Mk XI

Engineering
EPS Florw Regulator Mk IX
Ablative hull armour Mk XI
universal assimilated Module
RCS accelerator Mk XI

Tactical
tacitcal warhead yield chamber Mk XI
Zero point Quantum Chamber Mk X

Devices

Subspace field modulator
red matter capacitor

Science
Biodfunction monitor Mk X
Countermeasure System Mk X
Biofunction monitor MkVII

what do you think?
First, you should use the same weapon type. Polaron, phaser, anti-proton, or whatever.. just pick one type and stick with it. 'Rainbow' builds don't really work that well.

Second, why do you have 2 torpedo consoles, and no torpedoes? Get rid of those, and switch to phaser relays or antiproton mag regulators (or whatever corresponding console is to the weapon type you decide on).

You don't need 2 biofunction monitors. Get shield generator console instead. (Debatable if even 1 biofunction is of any use). Shield emitter array would also be helpful.

Get a non-generic deflector. Re-run the featured episode to complete the Jem Hadar set. Or run STFs to get the borg set.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
You should try quantum torpedoes; they're amusingly useful (at least to me). The most basic combat strategy is to use beam arrays to soften an enemy's shields, then fire Torpedo Spread or Torpedo High Yield to smash their hull.

Below is my favorite combat strategy for Odyssey cruisers. It requires Eject Warp Plasma and Tractor Beam, and some kind of speed buff you can activate at will is also recommended.

Fly straight at an enemy ship at full speed (though not full impulse), firing all anti-shield weapons like beam phasers. When you're five km away, fire a tractor beam but keep going. When you're 1 km away, cut speed, switch to reverse, and start dumping warp plasma. If timed right, the plasma will catch the enemy ship and slow it enough for you to keep shooting one shield facing until it's gone, then unload on them with torpedoes. By the time the plasma wears off, you should be able to fire another tractor beam.

I use this on cruisers and battleships all the time. Once I killed a Breen cruiser in less than thirty seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
You should try quantum torpedoes; they're amusingly useful (at least to me). The most basic combat strategy is to use beam arrays to soften an enemy's shields, then fire Torpedo Spread or Torpedo High Yield to smash their hull.

Below is my favorite combat strategy for Odyssey cruisers. It requires Eject Warp Plasma and Tractor Beam, and some kind of speed buff you can activate at will is also recommended.

Fly straight at an enemy ship at full speed (though not full impulse), firing all anti-shield weapons like beam phasers. When you're five km away, fire a tractor beam but keep going. When you're 1 km away, cut speed, switch to reverse, and start dumping warp plasma. If timed right, the plasma will catch the enemy ship and slow it enough for you to keep shooting one shield facing until it's gone, then unload on them with torpedoes. By the time the plasma wears off, you should be able to fire another tractor beam.

I use this on cruisers and battleships all the time. Once I killed out a Breen cruiser in less than thirty seconds.
30 Seconds? Wow thats actually quite good.

I would like to point out that I can kill a Breen Cruiser in about 3 seconds with Phaser Lance and HY2 (assuming the Lance crits though), and this is on Elite.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSchaal View Post
"Older guides will advise you to use an EPS Flow Regulator to let you fire more than two or three weapons at a time without draining your energy and losing damage output, but this doesn't apply anymore."

So the drain that you get for firing multiple beams the EPS Flow Regulator no longer effects it as in no longer gets ur weapon power back up fast? If that is the case then what do all beam cruisers do now? I know there is some skill in the talent tree that affects how fast u switch power is that why its not necessary?
Energy Weapons have a firing cycle and than a cooldown. When they start the firing cycle they take the power out of weapons, when they start the cooldown cycle they put it back.

You may notice your beams fire 3 times, than stop for a second or two. That's what this is.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honiara
I'm not able to log in righ tnow, but in my GX, when I equip a 35% RCS, I would expect a 2deg increase, however it is not, i get 1 deg increase because they are multaplive and not addative. Just try it, and it will not give you any where near what you think it should.

I have a turn of 9.4 with o RCS, and get a turn rate of 11.5 with 2!!
I haven't been flying my Star Cruiser recently, but I switched back and double-checked this in game. You're right, it's lower than I was expecting, but on the plus side, it appears there's no diminishing returns attached.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
*** Star Cruiser Turnrate Test ***

Base Turnrate = 8
Engine Power Settings: 61/40
(Minimum setting to allow Max Defence at 100% throttle with my setup)

Captain Skills: Starship Impulse Thrusters: 6/9
Starship Maneuvers: 6/9
Starship Threat Control: 6/9
Starship Hull Plating: 6/9
Starship Armor Reinforcements: 6/9
Starship Shield Systems: 9/9
Starship Structural Integrity: 9/9
Starship Electro Plasma Systems: 9/9

Borg Deflector, Borg Console, Aegis Engines, Aegis Shield

18.6% resists to all (base) = 40.4% (with HE1 and Aux2SIF3 buffs)
28.5% Resists to all (1 Neutronium Alloy console) = 45.3% with buffs
36.0% Resists to all (2 Neutronium Alloy console) = 49.2% with buffs

Defence at Maximum Throttle: 80% (Captain has "Elusive" Trait for +10%)
Shield Capacity: 11594
Hull: 53405
Unbuffed Repair rate: 196.3% Minute
Unbuffed Power Transfer rate: 209% (10.5/Sec)

Turnrate at 0% Impulse: 3.2 = 3.3 (1 or 2 RCS Consoles) 3.4 (3 RCS)
Turnrate at 25% Impulse: 11.2 = 12.6 (1 RCS) 14.0 (2 RCS) 15.4 (3 RCS)
Turnrate at 50% Impulse: 11.2 = 12.6 (1 RCS) 14.0 (2 RCS) 15.4 (3 RCS)
Turnrate at 75% Impulse: 11.2 = 12.6 (1 RCS) 14.0 (2 RCS) 15.4 (3 RCS)
Turnrate at 100% Impulse: 11.2 = 12.6 (1 RCS) 14.0 (2 RCS) 15.4 (3 RCS)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that adding an extra "+35%" RCS adds +1.4 degrees/sec each time whenever I'm actually moving fast enough to get my full turnrate (1/4 impulse). This is an extra 17.5% of the base turnrate. There doesn't appear to be diminishing returns past adding the first one.

I remembered the turnrate roughly right though, since it's a little under 13 degrees/sec when I'm flying with just one RCS (basically meaning that the difference between no RCS's and one RCS is that the boat turns 12.5% more quickly than before) and 14.0 exactly whenever I'm flying with two. Two definitely "feels" quicker, but even with just one RCS fitted I start to lose the feeling that I'm trying to pilot a large continent.

With 4 Engineering slots on the Star Cruiser, and four on the non-cstore Odysseys, I'd say the OP could probably spare one for an RCS... it's not like anything except Armors or Universal Consoles in the Engineering slots will make much difference. (Personally I tend to run with a Universal Borg Console, Universal Transwarp Computer and Field Generator in my Sci Slots and save the extra Engineering slots for a Plasma Manifold or fun CStore stuff like the Point Defence System - meaning I can usually equip 2 armors and an RCS without losing much effectiveness in other areas)
Lt. Commander
# 17 setup
03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Thank you ,u just gave your setup for your odyssey i do'nt have the same thing that you do on your's i have ablative and tetraburnium hull armor plus with shield and a field emitter to a shield amplifier and so far my hull strength is 57,413 probaly the highest in all fleet's but i believe it's the enemies that shooting us down in pvp's have the best weapons on thier ship such as antiproton beam array and did i forget to say that they are using a antiproton mag regulator to increase the damage i see in your setup that you are not using a polaron phase regulator to increase your enemies damage that's what you need to do..But everyone's setup is different on thier ship, my odyssey is all borg equipped sometime's i hide it by disableling the visual's so no one would ever think that i'm a borg enthusiast and yes THE U.S.S ODYSSEY-B science vessel does travel at warp 20