Lt. Commander
# 101
09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
Everyone seems to agree it's the Hirogen but maybe it's another species. See the following:

"Excerpt from a classified report from Lieutenant Mark Fischer, Federation Operative placed with the troops of the exiled Romulan Commander Sela."

"A Federation operative inserted into the fleet that departed Romulan space with Sela in 2386 has reported that Sela and her followers have landed on Makar, an M-class planet in the Beta Quadrant"
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/341

Voyager encountred the Hirogen in 2374 and returned to Earth in 2378.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Voyager

It can be assumed with resonable certainty that they gave Starfleet all the new information they have aquired from their time in the Delta quadrant, including first contacts etc. So we can resonably assume that Starfleet would have knowledge of the Hirogen thanks to Voyager.

But the spy had this to say:

"The artificial quantum singularities we were able to track seem to have been left by a species we’ve never encountered before. Commander Sela managed to contact them and begin some sort of negotiations."

Now, based on the descriptions they sound awefully a lot like the Hirogen and maybe they are, but then how do we explain this operative not being familiar with them when Voyager encountered them 13 years earlier? Information can't take that long to distribute, esspecially for someone trained in espionage, they should have a pretty good idea about all known species to the Federation.

Do you think every operative remembers every race mentioned, especially ones on the other side of the galaxy? His job seems to be Romulan infiltration, so his prep work would be about Romulan affairs and the races in their empire, not the Ocampa or Kazon or Vidiians or Hirogen, etc...
Lt. Commander
# 102
09-11-2009, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth144 View Post
Do you think every operative remembers every race mentioned, especially ones on the other side of the galaxy? His job seems to be Romulan infiltration, so his prep work would be about Romulan affairs and the races in their empire, not the Ocampa or Kazon or Vidiians or Hirogen, etc...
I've already said it, but I want to see the Vaadwaur. We've got Hirogens (at least that's what I think they are anyhow), the Vaadwaur would've have about 30 years to rebuild. I'm sure their subspace corridors could get them close to the Beta/Alpha Quadrants.
Lt. Commander
# 103
09-11-2009, 09:01 AM
I think that Sela's decision to ally with Hirogen hunters is a bad idea... I wonder if she'll use them to take control of the Empire, but they're gonna want something in return. And what's this about Sela bein relaxed? Did she have a night with them? She's more crafty than I give her credit for...

Now, what Cryptic needs to do next is tell us what the hell the Hirogen are doing so close to Federation and Romulan territory. It seems the hunters feel like they have a new pack to prey on...

Still, likin what I read so far! Just hope Cryptic feel gracious enough to give me an STO beta key for my birthday! Hehe.....
Lt. Commander
# 104
09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Oh man, I am very excited, the Hirogen are in STO!

Was thinking we wouldn't see them until the Delta Quadrant Expansion.

My guess it will play out that the Hirogen are mad at the Federation because of Janeway being the cause of their Network collapsing. And they want to "hunt" the Federation as payback.

And I wouldn't be surprised the way the network is distributed through the Beta and Delta Quadrants, that sometime down the road there will be a Storyline event where the Network is restablished and used by those exploring the Delta Quadrant.

Hurq were Gamma Quadrant species. :p

thats inline with what i said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
Everyone seems to agree it's the Hirogen but maybe it's another species. See the following:

"Excerpt from a classified report from Lieutenant Mark Fischer, Federation Operative placed with the troops of the exiled Romulan Commander Sela."

"A Federation operative inserted into the fleet that departed Romulan space with Sela in 2386 has reported that Sela and her followers have landed on Makar, an M-class planet in the Beta Quadrant"
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/341

Voyager encountred the Hirogen in 2374 and returned to Earth in 2378.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Voyager

It can be assumed with resonable certainty that they gave Starfleet all the new information they have aquired from their time in the Delta quadrant, including first contacts etc. So we can resonably assume that Starfleet would have knowledge of the Hirogen thanks to Voyager.

But the spy had this to say:

"The artificial quantum singularities we were able to track seem to have been left by a species we’ve never encountered before. Commander Sela managed to contact them and begin some sort of negotiations."

Now, based on the descriptions they sound awefully a lot like the Hirogen and maybe they are, but then how do we explain this operative not being familiar with them when Voyager encountered them 13 years earlier? Information can't take that long to distribute, esspecially for someone trained in espionage, they should have a pretty good idea about all known species to the Federation.
see, i could be right!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsinoe View Post
I first considered the hirogen but since we have seen 8472 in dark armor and they can easily throw a guard away perhaps its an offshoot of them. It could also explain the Quantum singularities.

Perhaps they are involved in a civil war and Sela has something they need for witch in return they will help her with the rise to power.

That does not explain why they would wear weapons though.

Anyway its only a theory.
i dont remember them in armor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YllekHomsat View Post
I've been wondering...
Chaos is breaking out, everybody will be fighting everybody. It almost feels like a plot of the Dominion - create chaos and then reappear to "restore order".
they wouldnt be unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borysthenis
I am thrilled the plotline is this crowded. I'm hoping it becomes moreso.

Why?

Because this isn't a novel, it's an MMO. A crowded backstory translates into larger and larget variety of missions and storylines for my characters to play through, so that my fifth character doesn't have exactly the same experience as my second.

For the folks who want to know why the Hirogen (assuming that's who they are) are allying themselves with the Romulans instead of the Klingons -- my immediate thought, when reading this Supplemental, was "oh, thank God -- finally we have a Supplemental that's setting up huge amounts of Klingon content instead of Federation content." Klingons would, after all, be the ultimate prey for the Hirogen, and certainly if Sela can take the pressure off the Romulan/Klingon front at no cost to Romulan resources or lives, while cementing an alliance with a powerful force? Sela can make a strong case for being Empress.

(As for 'how the Hirogen got there?' We already know that the final game is going to have lots of 'shortcuts' that didn't exist in the source material -- wormholes and transwarp conduits being the first few. We're now seeing the first signs of those, it seems to me.)

Finally, on the subject of the Supplemental logs themselves? I really like them, because they bring the broad spectrum updates into sharp individual focus. While some of them haven't thrilled me (the Data interview wasn't nearly as interesting or rife with backstory potential as the Hanson or Garak interviews), they help to set a sense of tone that... I don't know, feels like Star Trek to me. It's not the presence of guest stars -- it's the presence of the underlying assumptions and lore.

All this being said? More ships plz kthx.

i think hirogen is too obvious... plot twists are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadron
Maybe the operative didn't pay attention during Species Identification 101 at the academy?

But seriously, I agree with Mailman. Aside from the obvious discrepency he pointed out, there's other things:

SIZE

The size difference between a Romulan and the new alien was likened to the size difference between a targ and a house cat. I vaguely recall that targs are about as high as a man's knee, making targs significantly bigger than house cats. So I'd guess this new alien was around 25 - 50% larger than a Romulan? Hirogens are tall, but not *that* tall.

Plus, it looked like it "could have easily backhanded a guard into unconsciousness", which implies that they are pretty massive as well.

POWER

Commander Sela is trying to topple the remnants of the Romulan Star Empire. For her to get so orgasmic over a single new ally, wouldn't the ally have to be pretty strong? We're talking about taking on fleets of Warbirds and planetary defences here. The Hirogen are a scattered, nomadic race. One of their war parties couldn't even defeat Voyager, which was hardly the most powerful ship in the Federation fleet. Imagine if that same war party had bumped into a single Warbird...
maybe a new breed of jem'hadar... bigger, stronger, meaner...

the return of the dominion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
If it is a Sela/Hirogen alliance I can think of an obvious trade off that sealed the deal. Sela tells the Hirogen about the powerful Klingon Empire and how challenging the hunt would be. If the Hirogen will help her build Warbirds, she will use those cloaked vessels to locate worthy prey for them. Perhaps she will also share Romulan cloaking technology with the Hirogen once the Klingons have been brought to their knees. Of course, secretly she has begun research into a biological agent deadly to the Hirogen. This weapon will be concealed on every Hirogen vessel by her spies. After they have outlived their usefulness, she will trigger the devices and have a massive fleet in place to make her move against the Federation *MWAHAHA*

damn rommies would do it too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth144 View Post
that doesnt mean "intelligence" agents are uninformed enough to make that mistake. they should of known.
Lt. Commander
# 105
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Hirogen!!!
Lt. Commander
# 106
09-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Could'nt it be te Iconians? I mean they where an ancient empire spanning across the galaxy and they used portals of some kind. Their empire broke up, perhaps its a splinter group of some kind.

Or simply its the Breen, with new armour. ^^
Lt. Commander
I agree that in any case, the Hirogen would probably ally themselves with a species like the klingons not Romulans.
Lt. Commander
# 108
09-13-2009, 05:56 PM
quantum singularities sounds like species 8472 but the the armor sounds like hirogen
Lt. Commander
# 109
09-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossiren View Post
I agree that in any case, the Hirogen would probably ally themselves with a species like the klingons not Romulans.
I still think they would be like 2 hot chicks going after the same dude, cat fight all the way, it would never work. Or like 2 jocks both trying to make the record.
Lt. Commander
# 110
09-14-2009, 12:02 PM
question... how did the rommies comtact the hirogen or vise versa? pease don bring up the relays. they were destablized and the network was broken down in in the VOY: hunters. (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efsqkpy6ByY ) while they could of been replaired, the hirogen didnt even know how to handle holotech, and didnt seem to know that firing weapons would destroy there relay station and kill them. (not that they built it. they didnt.)