Lt. Commander
# 21
03-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRicky View Post
Completely, factually, categorically incorrect.

Completely, factually, categorically incorrect.
You really like that sentence, eh?
K, I removed the "offending" words. Hope itīs up to the high standards now.
Quote:
No, it is the FOTM because the same things that boost Tet Glider boost tet weapons.
Which still boosts shield melting.
Quote:
Nothing procs as much as turrets. It's per shot, and they're 360 compared to 250, so... they're actually on target more compared to beams. They "flybies" only apply to the cannons.
So the 3 or 4 turrets in the back of your cruiser will proc more than the 8 beams (i.e. of total beamboat fit)?
Intersting, like to see that math.

About the only to the OP really helpfull part of that post.
QFT.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
So the 3 or 4 turrets in the back of your cruiser will proc more than the 8 beams (i.e. of total beamboat fit)?
Since you'll still have the 4 beams in the front, I'd have to say yes, since they'd hit even when you faced forward.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogleexe
Since you'll still have the 4 beams in the front, I'd have to say yes, since they'd hit even when you faced forward.
K, that would be an interesting fitting, very crappy on general DPS though.
And only relevant to a cruiser in the "heads on" starting phase before the broadside circling would begin.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I have and will always play my Fed toons with phasers. My ENG cruiser is currently fitted with 4 beam arrays and 2 beam banks and 2 torps (fore and aft), all beams being MKXI STF phasers. I used only arrays but I found out that with 2 dual banks in the front I could significantly increase my damage potential in STFs, especially on large targets like cubes. The phaser proc is only questionable until you manage to disable an enemies' shield in the second he was about to take one or two spreads of torpedos It's a great proc to have.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-17-2012, 11:03 AM
I have several Characters and I`m doing a different Type of Weapon with each One! One uses Plasma another uses Polaron and My KDF will Use Anti-Proton Weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRicky View Post
No, it is the FOTM because the same things that boost Tet Glider boost tet weapons.
[/url]
Is this true? From my testing it looks like Flow Capacitor Consoles (science) increase the drain of tet glider and Tetryon Consoles (tactical) increase Tet weapon damage.

Or did you mean that Flow Cap Consoles boost the amount of shield drain from Tet Glider and the amount of shield drain from Tet weapons?

Personally, I use Tet glider with Polaron weapons, because Flow Capacitor Consoles boost the amount of shield drain from the tet glider and the amount of energy drain from the polaron weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
My build and thoughts.

My main is currently using an all Polaron + two plasma torps build (science vessel). The torps and a dual bank up front, two turrets and a beam array on back; this allows three polaron weapons to fire on enemies at practically all times. In casual testing with a friend, we found that with three weapons, the polaron proc happened between 0-3 times per minute. Not impressive, but not negligible. If I brought more energy weapons to bear, obviously, the proc would trigger more often. By the same token, if I'm mixing energy types, I'll still get 0-3 procs/min, but it will be a random mix of effect, and the effectiveness of any one of them will be minimized. As such, once I hit VA, I pick a single energy type and go all the way with it. The fact that I can boost all energy weapons with a single console (and more than a generic energy weapon console) is just gravy on top.

Here's my thoughts on the various energy flavors:
Phasers: having crap suddenly not work can get seriously nasty, BUT, because it's very random as to what system gets disabled, you simply cannot plan anything with this. The effect could reduce your incoming damage if you get the weapons, drop the target's shields from full to zilch if you get shields, but you'll never know exactly WHAT you'll get, or when. If you like your combat to have a more random, roll-of-the-dice feel to it, this is the way to go.

Disruptor: The disruptor breach makes disruptors a pack weapon. Think of it this way: the debuff to the target could be considered similar to a damage boost for everyone currently shooting at it. The more people you have shooting at it, the more effective that "buff" would be. The downside is that the debuff doesn't stack on a single target [thanks Sharkball!]. Having too much disruptor means the debuff is going to waste. If you like running with a particular group, volunteer to be the one bringing disruptor; when everyone else is bringing chips to the party, you'll be the one bringing chip dip.

Plasma: Burn baby burn; plasma procs mean extra damage with 0 extra cost. Add in the fact that the plasma hits the hull and starts softening it up before you're finished with the shields, and the bonus just gets tastier. If straight damage is what you want, and/or you're a pyromaniac, go with plasma. You could even go for plasma torps for MORE flammable fun!

Tetryon: In a sense, more damage, for no extra cost...under the right circumstances. The shield-chewing proc of Tetryon is good in that you generally have to get through the shields before you can start doing the REAL work of hitting the hull, and the Tetryon Glider makes it even better, but it has its downside: when shields are down, or the target never had shields to begin with, your proc means nothing. NOTHING. This can make tetryon a very situational flavor; if you know you're going to go up against a lot of unshielded targets *cough*STFs*cough*, you'll want to at least consider an alternate damage type set, or just plan up front to make sure whatever role you take, you're hitting as many shielded targets as you can.

Polaron: This is the only energy type that can really be said to have a defensive application. When it procs, the energy damage from your target dips. Considering it also slows the enemy, reduces their shield regen, and can impact all the miscellany that is Aux, polaron is a good all-round way to make the enemy a Sad Panda; whatever it wants to do, it needs energy to do it. That being said, it's probably the least visibly useful energy type out there; when it kicks in, nobody really notices. If you want to sport a smug sense of superiority with no apparent justification, go Polaron. (Of course, it's also good if you like using other effects that drain a target's power, like energy siphon, or Tyken's rift, and that slowdown makes it harder for enemies to escape a gravity well...just sayin')

Antiproton: damage! Damage!! DAMAGE!!! With antiproton weapons, your crits are crittier. Like plasma and tetryon, you're effectively getting more DPS bang for your buck. Unlike plasma, your extra damage will not bypass the shields, but it will drain the shields quicker; unlike tetryon, once the shields are gone, you're still doing extra damage. Since this always "triggers" whenever you crit, and you CAN take steps to boost your crit rate, antiproton is probably the damage type that will make the most difference in any battle. Maximize this effect by spending skill points in boosting your crit rate. If you like damage (and who doesn't?), you'll love Antiproton.

Finally, I'm not saying that Klingons should ALWAYS use disruptors, but it's a well-known fact that Klingon players who regularly use non-Klingon tech will be declared an enemy of the Empire. They will then be hunted down and executed in a fantastically rendered but ultimately fatal cutscene. Their character will also be executed shortly thereafter.

Lt. Commander
# 28
03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyouki
My build and thoughts.

My main is currently using an all Polaron + two plasma torps build (science vessel). The torps and a dual bank up front, two turrets and a beam array on back; this allows three polaron weapons to fire on enemies at practically all times. In casual testing with a friend, we found that with three weapons, the polaron proc happened between 0-3 times per minute. Not impressive, but not negligible. If I brought more energy weapons to bear, obviously, the proc would trigger more often. By the same token, if I'm mixing energy types, I'll still get 0-3 procs/min, but it will be a random mix of effect, and the effectiveness of any one of them will be minimized. As such, once I hit VA, I pick a single energy type and go all the way with it. The fact that I can boost all energy weapons with a single console (and more than a generic energy weapon console) is just gravy on top.

Here's my thoughts on the various energy flavors:
Phasers: having crap suddenly not work can get seriously nasty, BUT, because it's very random as to what system gets disabled, you simply cannot plan anything with this. The effect could reduce your incoming damage if you get the weapons, drop the target's shields from full to zilch if you get shields, but you'll never know exactly WHAT you'll get, or when. If you like your combat to have a more random, roll-of-the-dice feel to it, this is the way to go.

Disruptor: The disruptor breach is a pack weapon. Think of it this way: the debuff to the target could be considered similar to a damage boost for everyone currently shooting at it. The more people you have shooting at it, the more effective that "buff" would be. If you like running with a group, go disruptor, and get your group to do so as well. The downside is that there's only so much damage resistance there in the first place, so there's only so much it can be reduced.

Plasma: Burn baby burn; plasma procs mean extra damage with 0 extra cost. Add in the fact that the plasma hits the hull and starts softening it up before you're finished with the shields, and the bonus just gets tastier. If straight damage is what you want, and/or you're a pyromaniac, go with plasma. You could even go for plasma torps for MORE flammable fun!

Tetryon: In a sense, more damage, for no extra cost...under the right circumstances. The shield-chewing proc of Tetryon is good in that you generally have to get through the shields before you can start doing the REAL work of hitting the hull, and the Tetryon Glider makes it even better, but it has its downside: when shields are down, or the target never had shields to begin with, your proc means nothing. NOTHING. This can make tetryon a very situational flavor; if you know you're going to go up against a lot of unshielded targets *cough*STFs*cough*, you'll want to at least consider an alternate damage type set, or just plan up front to make sure whatever role you take, you're hitting as many shielded targets as you can.

Polaron: This is the only energy type that can really be said to have a defensive application. When it procs, the energy damage from your target dips. Considering it also slows the enemy, reduces their shield regen, and can impact all the miscellany that is Aux, polaron is a good all-round way to make the enemy a Sad Panda; whatever it wants to do, it needs energy to do it. That being said, it's probably the least visibly useful energy type out there; when it kicks in, nobody really notices. If you want to sport a smug sense of superiority with no apparent justification, go Polaron. (Of course, it's also good if you like using other effects that drain a target's power, like energy siphon, or Tyken's rift, and that slowdown makes it harder for enemies to escape a gravity well...just sayin')

Antiproton: damage! Damage!! DAMAGE!!! With antiproton weapons, your crits are crittier. Like plasma and tetryon, you're effectively getting more DPS bang for your buck. Unlike plasma, your extra damage will not bypass the shields, but it will drain the shields quicker; unlike tetryon, once the shields are gone, you're still doing extra damage. Since this always "triggers" whenever you crit, and you CAN take steps to boost your crit rate, antiproton is probably the damage type that will make the most difference in any battle. Maximize this effect by spending skill points in boosting your crit rate. If you like damage (and who doesn't?), you'll love Antiproton.

Finally, I'm not saying that Klingons should always use disruptors, but it's a well-known fact that Klingon players who regularly use non-Klingon tech will be declared an enemy of the Empire. They will then be hunted down and executed in a fantastically rendered but ultimately fatal cutscene. Their character will also be executed shortly thereafter.

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO WRITE THAT!?!?!?!?!
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIRALCUTTER28
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO WRITE THAT!?!?!?!?!
'bout an hour? Bored + at work, what can I say?

...well, I did rather people be excited because they found it informative/entertaining/useful/prophylactic instead of just for it being long...
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyouki
My build and thoughts.

<snip>
Disruptor: The disruptor breach is a pack weapon. Think of it this way: the debuff to the target could be considered similar to a damage boost for everyone currently shooting at it. The more people you have shooting at it, the more effective that "buff" would be. If you like running with a group, go disruptor, and get your group to do so as well. The downside is that there's only so much damage resistance there in the first place, so there's only so much it can be reduced.

<snip>
This is wrong, actually... when a target has the "disruptor breach" debuff... it get -10. They can't get this particular debuff more than once. (ie one -10 resist debuff at a time max)

KDF Carriers that use disruptor-equipped pets should NEVER use disruptors, for this reason. The pets will add disruptor debuff... the carrier should do something else useful.