Lt. Commander
# 1 Need help with NPC's
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm trying to have an encounter with 2 TOS D7's which after a conversation start to attack you. Now I know I can hide them behind invisible walls and then disable those with a trigger so they attack. The thing is ATM I can't seem to spawn individual ships which are hostile. They always show up as allied and I can't find a way to make them hostile. The only option I see atm are the squads of ships, which won't do as I only want the two cruisers.

This is my first stab at the foundry so I'm a total noob at this, any help will be appreciated! After I've done this bit I can submit my first mission .
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
I'm trying to have an encounter with 2 TOS D7's which after a conversation start to attack you. Now I know I can hide them behind invisible walls and then disable those with a trigger so they attack. The thing is ATM I can't seem to spawn individual ships which are hostile. They always show up as allied and I can't find a way to make them hostile. The only option I see atm are the squads of ships, which won't do as I only want the two cruisers.

This is my first stab at the foundry so I'm a total noob at this, any help will be appreciated! After I've done this bit I can submit my first mission .
Probably your best hope here is to use an npc group, set to become visible at a certain moment. Put two of the ships from the group at the spot and recostume them. Move the extra, unneeded enemies to a far corner of the map.

It should work as long as "kill enemies" is not an objective in the story board, requiring the player to kill all 5. Does that make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
I may be doing it wrong, but I always use cruiser groups, and only one ship ever spawns. I set the filter to enemy ships also.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonto
I may be doing it wrong, but I always use cruiser groups, and only one ship ever spawns. I set the filter to enemy ships also.
More ships will spawn if more than one person is playing the mission. It would probably be a good idea to test your missions on a team, in case it's bugged.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
More ships will spawn if more than one person is playing the mission. It would probably be a good idea to test your missions on a team, in case it's bugged.
Good point!
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Well my problem is that the objective is to destroy the two Klingon cruisers. So I placed two but like I said I can't get them to be hostile. I looked at the groups but as it's linked to the "kill enemies" thing I'd have to kill all of them can't just move them out of sight. So I don't know what to do if I'm honest.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Well my problem is that the objective is to destroy the two Klingon cruisers. So I placed two but like I said I can't get them to be hostile. I looked at the groups but as it's linked to the "kill enemies" thing I'd have to kill all of them can't just move them out of sight. So I don't know what to do if I'm honest.
Instead of using a kill klingon objective do the following:

Delete the kill enemies box from the story board. But, keep the npc group on the map.

Put a place marker near the Klingon npcs

Put a reach marker in the story board. Change text to "Engage the klingons.

Then, any additional ship not needed can be moved to the corner of the map.

Also, you are using enemy npc groups, right? you're not recostuming friendlies as Klingons, right?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Well admittedly I used individual NPC contacts to begin with but switched to the groups.

I love the little workarounds like this. Makes you wonder what the community could do if we had the same tools as Cryptic. Bet there are a few people out there who could put Cryptic to shame in their mission design lol. I'll let you know how I get on with that suggestion.

Another random question. I have a section where I beam in a 3 man medical team to treat an NPC I come across. Is there a way to assign a "job" so that one of the team goes up to the injured party and scans them with a medical tricorder or something so it looks like they're actually doing something instead of just standing there lol. My mission so far is quite story driven instead of focusing solely on combat. I keep having to re-imagine the mission in my head as I come up against countless limitations of the mission editor.

P.S. When I've done the mission, I would be really grateful if anyone could give me feedback and/or suggestions on how to improve things once it's published. This is my first shot at mission building, and apart from a few frustrating set backs I've really enjoyed it. Although my uni studies have suffered these last 4 days lol.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Well admittedly I used individual NPC contacts to begin with but switched to the groups.

I love the little workarounds like this. Makes you wonder what the community could do if we had the same tools as Cryptic. Bet there are a few people out there who could put Cryptic to shame in their mission design lol. I'll let you know how I get on with that suggestion.

Another random question. I have a section where I beam in a 3 man medical team to treat an NPC I come across. Is there a way to assign a "job" so that one of the team goes up to the injured party and scans them with a medical tricorder or something so it looks like they're actually doing something instead of just standing there lol. My mission so far is quite story driven instead of focusing solely on combat. I keep having to re-imagine the mission in my head as I come up against countless limitations of the mission editor.

P.S. When I've done the mission, I would be really grateful if anyone could give me feedback and/or suggestions on how to improve things once it's published. This is my first shot at mission building, and apart from a few frustrating set backs I've really enjoyed it. Although my uni studies have suffered these last 4 days lol.
With the injured crewman, you have to animate the npc with something like medical scan, They'll beam in and immediately "fall" into the animation. You cannot script them to walk to a spot and do a certain action.

However, certain console props have "jobs," represented by little red icons. When npcs have "jobs" turned on, they will walk around pushing buttons.

Rarely does it look good. It's really strange looking, so that jobs feature is pretty useless.

I hope that helps.

By the way Tim. You can get answers to your foundry questions immediately in Starbase UGC's chat room. Just enter as a guest and ask questions. There is usually always someone in there 24/7.

Welcome to the community. Here is the link: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/chat/
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I just found if you place all the actors of the group except for actor 1, inside a planet they will not spawn. At least that's what it looks like anyways.