Lt. Commander
Hello all,

I am really new to the game, have been playing for a week so I lack experience. I have a Level 21 Engineer Commander and I plan to have her command beam-focused Excelsior Refit (Tier 5) eventually, based on this build:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ld=Excelsior_0

I am wondering how this build will perform in PVP and STF? Or would you have any advise on how to improve it? Or would you actually suggest a Tactical Captain over Engineering one?

I'd like to have a balance between survivability and DPS, basically the build should be dishing out constant overtime damage while being capable of taking damage. Is there any place for such role or only DPS/tank purist is useful in PVP and STF?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxiole
Hello all,

I am really new to the game, have been playing for a week so I lack experience. I have a Level 21 Engineer Commander and I plan to have her command beam-focused Excelsior Refit (Tier 5) eventually, based on this build:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ld=Excelsior_0

I am wondering how this build will perform in PVP and STF? Or would you have any advise on how to improve it? Or would you actually suggest a Tactical Captain over Engineering one?

I'd like to have a balance between survivability and DPS, basically the build should be dishing out constant overtime damage while being capable of taking damage. Is there any place for such role or only DPS/tank purist is useful in PVP and STF?
It's really a matter of preference I suppose. Naturally, Tac Captains will benefit most from the Excelsior-R's dps potential. As an Engi Captain, I've flown nearly every ship available but always found myself back in either my Sovereign or Galaxy-X, at least in PvP. In PvE, it doesn't really matter what ship you fly because everything is easy sauce.

The Excel-R does have the improved turnrate over other cruisers and a 3rd Tac Console Slot but it loses some survivability without the secondary LtC. Engineer BOFF station. Personally, in the hands of an Engineer, the Excel-R is sort of a Jack-Of-All trades but performs only marginally well in DPS, Tanking and Manueverability.

In my experience, I mostly only see Tac Captains piloting the Excelsior-R.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks Doomicile, your answer further reinforces my analysis that there is a great bias towards using a Tactical Captain in Excelsior-R.

I am now interested in using Sovereign. Would you know any build that work well with Engineer Captain whose skills are focused on Energy Weapons and Emergency Power to X?