Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
As one of the leaders for Federation Emergency Services, I am voicing an offer to any fleet or player of the STO community. We are willing to teach and show, everything that makes us good at ground PvP. We want to be a positive influence on the STO community. PM me where interested, or post here and we will check it.

The intention of this edit is to answer questions, pick up where some of my people have started, and to make it readily and easily accessible. This may become required reading for Miles, at FES. lawl. Miles = Fleet Rank 1.

Pull up STOWiki, to follow along, in gear.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
RULE #1 Never get mad, in PvP.
RULE #2 NEVER get mad, in PvP. (Or at anything, really. It's like trying to solve an algebra problem by chewing bubble gum.) ((Catch the reference?))
RULE #3 Learn. Learn from wins. Learn from loses. Learn, even if you think you know everything. (True knowledge is knowing we know nothing.)
RULE #4 Do not confuse PvE skill with PvP skill. What works in PvP will work in PvE. What works in PvE most likely won't work in PvP.
RULE #5 Do what feels right. The best armor or torpedo in the game is the one that works best for the player's toon's spec and gear load out. These kinds of decisions are taken for granted by highly experienced players.
RULE #6 To be able to start, empty your cup. Forget what you think you know, and start over from the beginning.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Now.. let's do this.

GENERAL GROUND GEAR AND INFORMATION

The Most Important Things You Can Do, EVER: Aim, by pressing X. It is 33% Damge increase to Ranged Damage, ie guns. Crouch by pressing C. I cannot stress this enough and will not cease to, throughout this thread and in my training. Crouch, Crouch, CROUCH. Do not jump around, like one individual, and do not use this fufu foxtrot jog. They are Buff and Dodgeless. If you aren't Crouching you should be Sprinting or Rolling. Roll gives the highest Dodge Chance, but for a very short time, so it takes real timing and skill to roll when the opponent's shot connects. Also, Isolated Targeting. You don't need voice, you don't need to type. You need to press ESC, select Options, go to Controls and turn Assist Target on Attack to ON. Boom. Designate a lead target-er, or two, and then everyone else shoots over their shoulder.

Devices: I start with these due to simplicity. I say this to all my trainees, "You want to impress me? Use a Hypo, Shield Charge, Power Cell and a Tribble." I'm sorry Cryptic, but the "gimmick" devices get new and experienced people killed in both PvP and PvE. They are VERY COOL, and they have their specific uses. But, those are advanced tactics & strategies and advanced players. If you want to use the Cane, Shard, Triolics, and Cryos, know their pros and cons to yourself and your teammates. ie. Not everyone has the graphics to sit in the Triolic Enhancer. Dmg Resist won't matter if your teammate is lagging.

Alright.. let me come back to Devices.. If you run my suggestion, then decide you want the Shard.. and your Tac.. lose the Shield Charge. If your a Sci or Engi, lose the Power Cell. What you have to consider is what does each of those Basic Devices do? Shield Charges clear Exposes. Hypos clear Holds and Stuns. Power Cells clear Weapons Malf. Well, what's the point of being a Tac if you can't shoot your gun? Rally Cry ain't that good of a heal. If you are an Engi or Sci, you don't need a gun to do damage or to support your team. As a Sci, especially as a Medic, your best weapon is the Neural Neutralizer; and your best gun is in the hands of the Tac you are healing. Remember that.

Tribbles: Use your tribble as a Max/Min trick. If you want to go Damage, use a Har Tribble. If you want survivability, use a Damage Resistance or Health Regen Tribble. The best things to bounce them off of is your kits. (Like that seque?)

Kits: The good stuff. The stuff that matters. These things can make and/or break a team. Team Tactics trumps all. So, just because a kit isn't the best in a 1v1 situation does not mean it's a bad kit. You and your friends, on other careers, should match up Kit Skills. Everything, down to your guns, needs to be based off your kit. And Passives, but I'll go into a little more detail on those, later. Remember: One or two bad passives won't break your toon. With a little creativity in "playing into your passives", you can turn a bad thing into a good thing.

Since this is the meat of your dinner, let's let it marinate. (This will be a big section.) Your spec sheet enhances your kit skills. Duh. But, no point in speccing into a kit that you don't know how to use. So, I suggest you use the kit, with a Max/Min gear setup, and see if it's a kit for you and your team. Try all the Kits. It's Reading Rainbow, baby. Don't just take my word for it. With that, Specs will be in another section, another time. I will post my main Tac, Sci, and Engi, with main gear, at that time. To save space, by career, I'll only talk about the good Kits, classify them, and give complimenting gun options, for Vice Admirals. It will get shorter as the Kit Skills overlap. However it did not, so I have made a post for each career. Tactical on pg. 3 & Engineering on pg. 4.

Guns: My favorite.Those of you who know me, and remember my first main Tac, the Arms Dealer, know that I've been dying to get to this section. Those of you who don't.. *cracks knuckles* Check it.. If you are soloing (Solo Ops) STFs and PvP ques, then I urge you to be able to Exploit your own Exposes. Exposes, despite having any clear information from Cryptic on them, yield higher damage and crit chances when Exploited. You will find that you save buffs, also. As a base line, I suggest one Expose gun and one Exploit gun. Tread off that road as you learn to match your kits and teammates.

I mention gun pairings in each Career section of the Kits. Those pairings don't have to be only for the kit user, Teammates can work with those gun setups, as well. As with Kits, I will make a single post dedicated to guns. But, for basic gun information, there are three things to know about guns. Flavor, Type, and Modifiers. Flavors are Disruptor, Polaron, Antiproton, etc. They are the icing on your cake, and the best way to tear down the opponent where you are strongest. Ie. A shield tanking Engi using Tetryon. or.. Medics using Plasma. Types are Split Beam Rifle, Dual Pistols, High Density, etc. When considering types and running 1 Exposer and 1 Exploiter, look at the ranges of the primary shot and secondary shot of both guns. To know anything about an item, right click and select Info. There isn't much sense in rotating a Pulsewave Assault and a Sniper Rifle. Those two guns work on the opposite of the range spectrum. The Sniper has the furthest range possible at 45m, with its secondary; and the Pulsewave deals the most damage between 3m and 0.0m. Burst guns, like Full Auto Rifle and Assault Miniguns are a great way to get your Flavor lick on someone. Quick Tip: A Phaser Stun Pistol is the ONLY way to directly stack a Flavor proc with a Type secondary. To learn the affect of Modifiers, use Common guns. Yes, Commons. This lets you use and test gun Flavors and Types, without influence of the Modifiers. Then use Modifiers to subsidize, or overcharge your damage and critical output. [DoT3] stacks with Plasma Flavor; and [CritD] stacks with Antiproton. [Dmg] is the most relient as there is no proc; it just increases the base line damage and DPS of your gun. Sooo... I've rambled on about guns, so I'll cheat on the next section.

Armor and Shields: I'll make this easy, since Cryptic did. Decide on which of the 2-set skill you want, from M.A.C.O., Omega, or Honor Guard, and rock those Armor and Shields. I say this cause you won't find anything else that compares, overall. That being said, you do not HAVE to have that Borg stuff, to PvP. In fact, it should be the opposite. You should be PvPing, to help you decide on which STF set you want. The DS9-ers have it backwards, and that's the excuse they give me, for not PvP queing. Players with excellent skill and regular gear will beat out a geared out, skill-less player. For those that don't have STF gear yet, R&D is your best friend. Also the new Jem'Hadar gear is not bad and the 3-set activate-able skill is quite interesting. For a sweet, free shield, the Personal Covariant Shield is awesome, if you can handle the Regen reduction for the Capacity increase. However that's in a mission I can't think of at the moment. Now, if ya'll would like more on Armor and Shields, let me know and I'll include a section in the Guns Post. But, as someone who spent ALOT of EC on the ONLY good Otha Armor I've ever seen, I'm just as saddened as ya'll as the lack of need of this ancient piece of STO information. Just.... don't wait till you get Mk XII to PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-17-2012, 08:39 AM
I hope you get alot of takers for this...good luck
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2012, 09:12 AM
lolground.

No seriously, if I want good ground game I play RIFT, or if I want scifi ground I play Tribes (it's in beta now). Or I fire up my console and play Gears, Halo3 & Reach, Rainbow Six Vegas2, and soon Armored Core 5. Lolstoground lol.

In a more serious capacity good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2012, 09:32 AM
GL with this idea. While ground in this game definately isn't my thing, I love seeing others trying to bring newer players into the pvp fold by helping them out. In general, thats one thing I really like about the players in these forums. "Usually" they're incredibly helpful if you ask for advice.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
lolground.

No seriously, if I want good ground game I play RIFT, or if I want scifi ground I play Tribes (it's in beta now). Or I fire up my console and play Gears, Halo3 & Reach, Rainbow Six Vegas2, and soon Armored Core 5. Lolstoground lol.
Rift, Tribes, Gears, Halo3, Rainbow Six Vegas2, and Armored Core 5 are not STAR TREK games, and some of us love ground combat in this game so really was it necessary for you to bring back the OLD DAYS and say LOLGROUND? OK so you don't like Ground...we get that but you don't need to offend us Grounders by saying stuff like that, and with all the new population coming in to this game we don't need spacers making fun of ground combat in this game. You dont see us Grounders Going on every space Post and Saying LOLSPACE do you? So pleas stop with the name calling and let leave the OLD DAYS in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts6314
As one of the leaders for Federation Emergency Services, I am voicing an offer to any fleet or player of the STO community. We are willing to teach and show, everything that makes us good at ground PvP. We want to be a positive influence on the STO community. PM me where interested, or post here and we will check it.
Good luck and I too hope we get a lot of takers
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-17-2012, 10:27 AM
The UI is still terrible on the ground. STO ground has alot of potential but the UI keeps getting in the way. (it can't even handle 2 commands at a time on the ground!) I did wish him luck though
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-17-2012, 11:14 AM
an excellent invitation to the community, anyone who is interested in ground pvp or wants to learn some new tip/tricks should check it out. thanks for taking the time and making an effort to improve an aspect of pvp in sto, now if only cryptic would do the same.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
shaila, does fista sistas even fly space pvp anymore? I havent seen any of you guys in a long time out in the cold depths of lolspace
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Ground PVP needs some serious attention from Cryptic and PWE. Controls are laggy and limited to 2 keys at once. We haven't had any new maps in god knows how long. More maps and roll back the last 2 updates to make ground pvp like it was back then. No lag between controls and more balanced. And for gods sake, Cryptic... add more maps!!!

This is a good thing you are doing. Get people from quitting out of frustration and working around the bugs that are in the system. If you need any help, you know where to find me. I can usually get a team together that will take it easy, or turn up the heat when necessary.

~Coli
Lt. Commander
Thank you, all, for your positive words and well-wishes, as I was taken aback by them. It took only two responses for someone to give me the response I expected to receive. But, I will maintain this offer, as my fleet continues to work with those in zones, who are interested in STO Ground PvP. We will cover basics, from character controls to UI all the way to specs and kit tactics.

Everyone consider this. the minimum ground points of 66,000 is 18% of the given 366,000 skill points. The maximum 100,000 ground points is 27% of the given 366k. Lets use 100% of the given points. Some may consider us "grounders", but expect to see us in space.

But, again, for ground, if you have the slightest of interest, do not hesitate to PM me or anyone in my fleet, for questions or means to get in contact with me.
Closed Thread