Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Since FAW, even though it was working relatively well a little while ago, is going to be incredibly time consuming and complex to fix why not level the playing field in the meantime? I'm not talking about removing FAW or some other nerf. Actually this time I'm wondering if the "nerf nothing, boost everything else" camp might be on to something.

That's right. I'm saying that abilities that modify weapon fire should be 100% accurate as well. Cannon Rapid Fire and Scatter Volley, which already have significant restrictions such as range and firing arcs, already suffer the most in this environment. I'm not sure just how far to take this but Beam Overload and Torpedo mods could certainly be included. I don't think Attack Patterns are really necessary but hey, it's a though.

Currently players can load up on beams and exploit the cannon blind spot (caused by flight angle restrictions which really only need a slight adjustment without even going full 3D!). Combined with FAW this allows them to deal significant damage to multiple targets at full range and high speeds without any effort whatsoever.

I honestly don't think this is a great idea. The best thing, if it were possible and could be done in a reasonable time frame, would be to fix FAW since that is the problem. Failing that something needs to be done to level the playing field. Think of the poor B'rels, Boarding Parties, and those innocent Heavy Projectiles!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-17-2012, 06:25 AM
I always thought it odd that given the rate of technological progress, any systems would be able to miss at all in the 25th century, even today most military munitions are pretty much on target, when you can put a cruise missile through someone's front door at 500 mile range it's surprising that a starship can't hit a much bigger target at under 10km range no?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Maybe, but we have to think that if offensive technologies have had advancements, so to have defensive technologies.

When it comes to the Borg people tend to justify how awfully easy they are in this game by pointing out that the Federation has developed more and greater weapons. Well, wouldn't the Borg have been doing the same?

Personally I like miss mechanics (not as much when I do so repeatedly). Maybe they should give Heavy Torps some hit points or shields to keep them around in an era of 100% accurate energy weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2012, 06:51 AM
FAW is currently stupid strong. I don't even know if its worth complaining though because if you're constantly running full defenses you have a shot at getting out of range before you pop. I'm still surprised at how I sometimes fall for this tactic the first time I encounter it in a match. Once you know who is and isn't using it things get better. But not by much. If FAW is giving 100% accuracy doesn't that mean they can stack up on beams with all sorts of juicy damage modifiers? Le sigh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
From what I understand, they would need to completely re-code that ability. While I think it should be done... will it?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thissler
FAW is currently stupid strong. I don't even know if its worth complaining though because if you're constantly running full defenses you have a shot at getting out of range before you pop. I'm still surprised at how I sometimes fall for this tactic the first time I encounter it in a match. Once you know who is and isn't using it things get better. But not by much. If FAW is giving 100% accuracy doesn't that mean they can stack up on beams with all sorts of juicy damage modifiers? Le sigh.
You can get away but if a whole team is doing it, well, just lose and get it over with.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-17-2012, 04:04 PM
[quote=SteveHale;4101685

That's right. I'm saying that abilities that modify weapon fire should be 100% accurate as well I'm not sure just how far to take this but Beam Overload mods could certainly be included.![/QUOTE]

nice thought but what about a crit x3 dbb on over load 3? with all buffs on thats an insta gib.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I like this idea... give us 100% accurate CRF please. LOL

FAW would end up rewritten in days. haha

I think your on too something Hale.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Now that you mention it the first time I encountered two cruisers doing this i was gone before I knew what was going on. I was SURE no one was targeting me. It was shortly after this that I decided I needed to start reading combat logs and doing parses to get myself back up to speed on the madness. Since that time I've completed overhauled my ship. Now I can get out but you're right. Why bother if its the entire team.

After my first post in this thread I took my assault cruiser out of mothballs and rolled into some cap and holds with my shiny new FAW 1 + 2 and darn if I wasn't top damage and kills on my team. And I'm awful. So I imagine that people that actually can use a cruiser are way better.

On a side note. There were a number of carriers in these matches. Even FAW couldn't keep up with the clouds of fighters at times. And you would think that would be one of its primary functions.

Looking forward to the 100% accurate CRF with some of my old fashioned 70% crit DHC AP.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thissler
snip

Looking forward to the 100% accurate CRF with some of my old fashioned 70% crit DHC AP.
I still use those old school AP dhc they miss a lot though! The k7 ap dhc need a snare for them to work right. I love them for stfs and premades, pug I tend to go with acc x3.