Lt. Commander
# 31
04-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I know I'm sort of new around here, I was part of the "Miranda-spam" at the opening of free-to-play, but I think I may have a way to kill two birds with one stone here.

Complaint 1: The Federation has no carriers compared to the Klingons and some people are whining about it rather persistently
Complaint 2: The Odyssey Operations cruiser has the same ability as the Galaxy Retrofit with better stats in almost every way, effectively rendering the Galaxy R obsolete unless you just really want the classic look.

Solution: Make the Galaxy R a flight-deck cruiser similar to the Orion ships. The ship already has a rather massive shuttlebay on the saucer (shuttlebay 1, only 2 and 3 were seen on-screen to my knowledge) and was designed for long-range exploration, we know it has the facilities to maintain plenty of support vessels. This could be implemented either as a separate console/hangar that could only be activated while the saucer is attached (like the Aquarius), or as a special "weapon" that can only be used on the Galaxy R (possibly other cruisers).

Either way the Fedies get a ship with carrier abilities, and the Klingons keep their carrier supperiorty by having the only ships with two hangars.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
My aswer is simply storylined...

If the Federation starts to use carriers and fighters the casualities shall increase a lot. Problem is that the Federation does not have the stomach for that kind of losses...the Klingons do...

Drones is a completely different story...

Sometimes the Federation remembers me of the Gallente...
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
There's rumors of a Caitian Carrier in development, I'm excited for it =P Expecially considering both of my fed characters are caitians...
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Curry Thru-Carrier is TNG Era. Click the link and you can see an image of it from DS9 with two fighters next to it.

It's the opening shot of episode 01 from season six. So 30 years ago the federation had them, but not now

Enjoy your 60 year old Miranda's though.
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warduke73 View Post
Curry Thru-Carrier is TNG Era. Click the link and you can see an image of it from DS9 season 6 with two fighters next to it.

It's the opening shot of episode 01 from season six. So 30 years ago the federation had them, but not now

Enjoy your 60 year old Miranda's though.
What's your source for the name and its carrier status?
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Why not just start a Klingon and get the Carrier that way?
This might come as a shock, but a lot of people don't want to play Klingons no matter how much content they have, what ships they have, how powerful their P2Win consoles are or how naked their Orions are.

Other people might already have a bunch of established characters Fed side and getting a carrier means all of them could use it.

Or it means even just 1 of their established characters can use it as one of their swap ships.

A lot of those people have wallets though, and would probably love some new ship classes to fly.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
What's your source for the name and its carrier status?
Allan Kroeker, Ira Steven Behr and Hans Beimler

The Raging Queen was also in that episode, but it was in the background and very small.

Raging Queen image

You can go here and see a list of offical trek ships. You will get a good laugh at some of the mis-classifications made by STO.
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warduke73 View Post
[url="http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/gstamo01/curry01.jpg"]
You can go here and see a list of offical trek ships. You will get a good laugh at some of the mis-classifications made by STO.
That link doesn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terloki
I know I'm sort of new around here, I was part of the "Miranda-spam" at the opening of free-to-play, but I think I may have a way to kill two birds with one stone here.

Complaint 1: The Federation has no carriers compared to the Klingons and some people are whining about it rather persistently
Complaint 2: The Odyssey Operations cruiser has the same ability as the Galaxy Retrofit with better stats in almost every way, effectively rendering the Galaxy R obsolete unless you just really want the classic look.

Solution: Make the Galaxy R a flight-deck cruiser similar to the Orion ships. The ship already has a rather massive shuttlebay on the saucer (shuttlebay 1, only 2 and 3 were seen on-screen to my knowledge) and was designed for long-range exploration, we know it has the facilities to maintain plenty of support vessels. This could be implemented either as a separate console/hangar that could only be activated while the saucer is attached (like the Aquarius), or as a special "weapon" that can only be used on the Galaxy R (possibly other cruisers).

Either way the Fedies get a ship with carrier abilities, and the Klingons keep their carrier supperiorty by having the only ships with two hangars.
I think this would be a better idea, canonically, for a fed carrier. I can't remember where, but I do remember someone designing a Galaxy Class Carrier type. I also remember in Ds9 that Galaxies were mentioned as filling a pseudo troop transport role, so a carrier type might not be that far off.

Here's two more arguments for a Galaxy carrier (or pseudo carrier):

1) The Sci-fi argument:

Carriers in Sci-fi are big ships. I mean BIG ships. The Vo'quv carrier is roughly 1.2km long, correct?

Take a look at these ships. Anyone with experience in these sci-fi universes will note which ships have fighter carrying capacity: http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comp...ison_large.png

See how small the Galaxy is compared to the other ships? Those ships have anywhere between 40-80 fighters on board. That's because it takes a lot of space to hold fighters, have a method of launching and retrieving said fighters, and have repair and resupply facilities for those fighters. (why do you think naval carriers are so large in the first place? )

Fighters themselves are not small things: http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comp...ison_small.png

This is partially the reason why these ships are so large; they need to be in order to partially fulfill the role as carriers.

Out of all of the federation ships, the Star Cruisers, the Galaxy, the Sovereign, and the Odyssey are the closest ships, size-wise, to carry fighters. I'm not sure about the Odyssey's or the Star Cruisers' shuttlebays, but the Sovereign's shuttlebays are too small to convert into a Fighter Bay.

2) The Star Trek argument:

For this argument, I will still stand by my previous argument's claims about the necessary space for holding fighters.

See the Peregrine in here?:http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...ttle-chart.jpg
25m long, am I correct?
Now the Akira and the Galaxy:http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...leet-chart.jpg

In fanon, the Akira is said to hold 40 fighters. This is not logical for fighters so big and a ship so small (I will add that the fanon makes the Akira an uber ship with high firepower and fighter capacity AND standard {durable} starfleet shielding). The Galaxy class, unless most of the saucer was converted into a hangar, could not hold that many 25m long fighters. However, what the Galaxy does have are three shuttle bays that could potentially be converted to hold one squadron of Peregrines (10ish fighters).

While I am neutral to the whole Fed-Carrier debate, I will say that canon says fighters, so there must be at least some temporary carriers. Ds9, however, I consider to be vastly exaggerated in the fleet action scenes and that the federation doesn't need fighters due to a highly direct and accurate weapon called phasers. (this all I'll need to cover in a future topic regarding Star Trek vs various other Sci-Fi universes on Ten Forward)