Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
I dislike the C-Store primarily because of the beteryal and greed Cryptic has shown in the past 6 or so months. I also dislike the hike in prices in the C-Store when it concerns gold members and the apparently 'gotcha' ways Cryptic is using to hoard money. I know Cryptic is not a chairity, but when they are getting massive amounts of money from their gambling lock boxes and then put out ships for $25 a piece, that is not making a profit, that is flat out greed.

Like Primus01, I am also a lifer, however I do have all the ships available in the C-Store prior to F2P launch. In fact, I had purchased almost everything in the C-Store and even their services such as extra character slots, respec tokens, etc. I even purchased a second life time account over a year ago. At the time, Cryptic was doing a good job, they had issues, but shown they would reward loyalty. But then they decided to go F2P and tossed all the golds under the bus; suddenly everything involves real world money despite the fact this game still has subscriptions (making it a hybrid, not pure F2P). Ships went from having different tactics but being roughtly on par with their same tier to a pay 2 win system. Suddenly things promised got put on hold, the 2800 was supposed to be here last summer but it was put off for F2P conversion; items were taking away or the means to get free items were removed and hard earned merits/medals/emblems were also taxed in the conversion. I myself lost 68% of my hard earned currency to Cryptic's 'tax'.

Cryptic has destroyed their reputation and shown it only cares about money. They don't care about Star Trek other than making sure they can nickel and dime you every way they can from it before moving onto the next item. The game itself has shifted into a more MMO direction than staying into a casual social Star Trek game that attracted so many Star Trek Fans.

My hate for the C-Store has nothing to do with a company making profit, it has everything to do with how the company treats its loyal and longtime customers.
a shame you wrote all that in a rational manner when the apologists will just discount everything and label you as an entitled whiner. its the new buzzword these days. we should all be so grateful to pay too much for the meager scraps of content we recieve. cryptic isn't a charity, you know!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractism View Post
a shame you wrote all that in a rational manner when the apologists will just discount everything and label you as an entitled whiner. its the new buzzword these days. we should all be so grateful to pay too much for the meager scraps of content we recieve. cryptic isn't a charity, you know!
Disagreeing with him/her doesn't mean people discount it. It just means they don't agree.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I have no problem with the general idea of the c-store... though the prices are a bit high.....

But I must say that I have no idea why people think that we get more content if we buy a lot of stuff in the store, all weŽll get is more stuff to buy. The content thing hasnŽt worked very well in the past, now has it ?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
2 notes:
1. cryptic only wanted the STO IP to make money off "stupid syfy geeks"/"trekies/trekers not because they where fans or any of that, they view trek fans as stupid people with lots of money to spend on useless crap.

2. its not nickle and dime, because they dont want your nickles and dimes, they want your dollars and pounds, find me an item in the cstore thats under a buck.....(usd)

they should rename it to macrotransaction or macro payment system, because it sure as hell isnt micro....
except thats wrong. try again.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I personally am one of the persons who has boycut the C-Store... But not only the C-Store, but everything related to it.

Master Keys and any other item I can confirm that comes from there (this includes boxes of any kind), dilithium exchange... Everything.

There are always 3 "factions"... Pro, Neutral and Con... Each have valid arguments for their cause, and while the other side does not agree, they are all valid... as a very minimum to that person.

I do however not believe that we (who have boycutted the store) should impose that opinion on others, just like you (the ones who havn't) should impose your opinion on us.

For a healthy discussion about any given topics, each faction is needed to provide a healthy amount of input, because I believe that only through being able to see the oppersite side of the argument, you can properly make a decision.

Those who can not sit back, take a look at the other side and evaluate that argument with an open mind has not made a decision... They have simply taken a position and refuse to take the risk of being persuaded that their opinion is wrong.

So when caught in a discussion, about the C-Store, I state my case, Listen to the other side, try to see if I can persuade the other side, and if I can't, I simply take part in the discussion...

This may come as a surprise, but I've invested alot in the C-Store... It's the more recent development I disagree with... And I can't exclude the possibility that I will open up to the store again, when thing are more agreeable with me. It's just at this point that I do not.
I am happy that you are satisfied with the Store... Good luck with futher purchases.

On a side note: I do however find that your OP is lacking a certain amount of info... What is it in particular you like about the C-Store?

I am very interested.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
2 notes:
1. cryptic only wanted the STO IP to make money off "stupid syfy geeks"/"trekies/trekers not because they where fans or any of that, they view trek fans as stupid people with lots of money to spend on useless crap.

2. its not nickle and dime, because they dont want your nickles and dimes, they want your dollars and pounds, find me an item in the cstore thats under a buck.....(usd)

they should rename it to macrotransaction or macro payment system, because it sure as hell isnt micro....
1. Nothing wrong with wanting to make money. The difference is how you make the money and how you treat your customers. Also I am taking the devs at their own word that they themselves are Star Trek Fans, even if I their actions don't match what they are saying.

2. It's a figure of speech, please don't take it literally.


I'm with Anazonda, no one should force anyone into a boycott or otherwise. I advocate discussion and fact finding. I created on Twitter the #STOBoycott tag and even made a page (http://www.shinseki.net/stoboycott.html) detailing why a boycott should be done. It is up to anyone who reads it to come to their own conclusion. There is no need for insults; I have friends that still use the C-Store and some who agree with me and stopped using it. Regardless of their decisions I don't insult or look down on them and often have good debates between them. It is your choice if you want to support Cryptic's buisness model and I for one won't think any more or less of you on what you choose to do with your own money.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I personally like the C-Store as well, mostly because it's the only way I can support the game.
Gold/Lifetime? Not available to me. I don't have a creditcard (Mostly because I don't need one in everyday life), Paypal is an outright pain to setup with my bank (Tons of forms to sign, plus a monthly fee?), and those pre-paid chargecards have a habit of just plain not working (Due to incomplete billing info). But the PWE cards are simple and easy for me to get, and they always work.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm sure you all realize that "Cryptic" doesn't actually exist anymore, right? It's name. The small group of gamers and Atari execs who founded Cryptic have cashed out.

The California based company was purchased by Perfect World Co., Ltd. It's the People's Republic of China that is taking your money and deciding how best to milk the cow they purchased. They make those decisions (and instruct the developers) based on the best way to take your money while spending the least money possible to keep you here.

Only each individual can decide if what is here is value for their money, but it should be clear that this game only exists to make money.

It has transitioned from a labor of love to a prostitute... and the pimp is the PRC.

It's kind of funny that the farmers--- are farming you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltraumkommando
I'm sure you all realize that "Cryptic" doesn't actually exist anymore, right? It's name. The small group of gamers and Atari execs who founded Cryptic have cashed out.

The California based company was purchased by Perfect World Co., Ltd. It's the People's Republic of China that is taking your money and deciding how best to milk the cow they purchased. They make those decisions (and instruct the developers) based on the best way to take your money while spending the least money possible to keep you here.

Only each individual can decide if what is here is value for their money, but it should be clear that this game only exists to make money.

It has transitioned from a labor of love to a prostitute... and the pimp is the PRC.
not really true, cryptic is not 100% the same people who formed it, but PWE hasnt taken full control, if they had, I think things would be going smoother if only because having played other games they run, they tend to be good about debugging content and cryptic isnt(not taking about the server crash, i understand thats a cast iron ***** to nail down)

if you check pw's prices on most stuff its far lower, if you check they dont charge for charactor slots, where cryptic do. many things that are free in pwe games are charged for here.....this is all at the behest of cryptic management...

please understand I dont blame the developers, I blame the people managing them, the people in control dont see a value in focusing on debugging, or treating customers/players well, because they are making money despite not doing so.

I have worked for people like those who set the prices, they are greedy, they sell dollar signs, they see geeks as easy targets, once worked at a place that sold sci-fi related stuff online and in a small store, most of the people designing stuff and creating where geeks, but the people setting the prices where MBA's who looked down on geeks and would flat out say "these idiots will buy anything geeky"

its disturbing but thats how non-geeks view those of us who are sci-fi fans, they think we are all stupid enough to buy anything they throw at us if its geeky enough, no matter the price.....

the only ones i look down on are those who say stuff like $25 is a micro transaction, and even say $50 is micro, but then when called to prove it, they make an excuse not to.....

if you have more money then brains and want to support cryptic's box fetish or broken p2w ships, thats your problem, I would rather put my money into getting myself and a friend https://buy.guildwars2.com/ at least with it I can count on 1. quality support. 2. no over priced cstore items 3. no pay 2 win/pay 2 play model.

and this from a guy who is a big trek fan who owns or owned most of the trek videogames that ever came out......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
not really true, cryptic is not 100% the same people who formed it, but PWE hasnt taken full control, if they had, I think things would be going smoother if only because having played other games they run, they tend to be good about debugging content and cryptic isnt(not taking about the server crash, i understand thats a cast iron ***** to nail down)

if you check pw's prices on most stuff its far lower, if you check they dont charge for charactor slots, where cryptic do. many things that are free in pwe games are charged for here.....this is all at the behest of cryptic management...

please understand I dont blame the developers, I blame the people managing them, the people in control dont see a value in focusing on debugging, or treating customers/players well, because they are making money despite not doing so.

I have worked for people like those who set the prices, they are greedy, they sell dollar signs, they see geeks as easy targets, once worked at a place that sold sci-fi related stuff online and in a small store, most of the people designing stuff and creating where geeks, but the people setting the prices where MBA's who looked down on geeks and would flat out say "these idiots will buy anything geeky"

its disturbing but thats how non-geeks view those of us who are sci-fi fans, they think we are all stupid enough to buy anything they throw at us if its geeky enough, no matter the price.....

the only ones i look down on are those who say stuff like $25 is a micro transaction, and even say $50 is micro, but then when called to prove it, they make an excuse not to.....

if you have more money then brains and want to support cryptic's box fetish or broken p2w ships, thats your problem, I would rather put my money into getting myself and a friend https://buy.guildwars2.com/ at least with it I can count on 1. quality support. 2. no over priced cstore items 3. no pay 2 win/pay 2 play model.

and this from a guy who is a big trek fan who owns or owned most of the trek videogames that ever came out......
Ahhh.. you do realize the reason the prices are different is because those games are for Asian customers, right? This game is targeted at North Americans and Europeans (and their progeny).

Did you ever wonder why no specific prices for "Zen" are publicly posted?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 AM.