Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltraumkommando
Ahhh.. you do realize the reason the prices are different is because those games are for Asian customers, right? This game is targeted at North Americans and Europeans (and their progeny).

Did you ever wonder why no specific prices for "Zen" are publicly posted?
not true, the games im talking about are on international servers mostly targeted at westerners, and they have different exchange rates based on what your buying the points with.

a few examples

silkroad online uses silk

KalOnline uses Kal cash

if you really want i could list alot more of them......

the PWE servers for us westerners/english speakers are not the same servers the chinese or koreans or exct play on, infact, most of those games are BETTER in their native countries(better costumes and such)

the reason they use these point systems isnt what you may think, its done for legal reasons, you buy points and use them to trade for stuff, rather then buying virtual items for real money.....long story there i dont want to type out here.

in short, no, prices in them arent lower because they arent targeted at americans/westerners, because they are, they are lower because they found they make more money that way, and by not having to pay for char slots or inv/storage slots your more likely to buy more stuff.

when you charge a high price you get fewer sales for that higher price, when you charge less you get more sales for less profit per.....BUT heres the thing, more people will buy and the word will spred that your game/product is FUN and AFFORDABLE.

sorry but 25-50bucks for virtual items isnt affordable to most people i know, not when you endup needing to buy skill reset tokens, inv slots, bank slots, charactor slots, ec cap increse, exct......

they ARE loosing out on alot of sales due to high prices.....these posts wouldnt be here if they wherent.....

also note more then 1/2 the players in game dont even know the forums is here, and of those that do, some dont have any cstore points(Because they didnt even know about the dil exchange) so they cant post....

so yeah, if there wasnt a problem, there wouldnt be so many malcontents like myself complaining.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFoxx View Post
I personally like the C-Store as well, mostly because it's the only way I can support the game.
Gold/Lifetime? Not available to me. I don't have a creditcard (Mostly because I don't need one in everyday life), Paypal is an outright pain to setup with my bank (Tons of forms to sign, plus a monthly fee?), and those pre-paid chargecards have a habit of just plain not working (Due to incomplete billing info). But the PWE cards are simple and easy for me to get, and they always work.
people support this game by playing it and telling others "come play this game, it is X, Y or Z."

I am going to call shenanigans on your entire post. Are you old to be playing this game, let alone using this forum, without parental supervision?
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
when you charge a high price you get fewer sales for that higher price, when you charge less you get more sales for less profit per.....BUT heres the thing, more people will buy and the word will spred that your game/product is FUN and AFFORDABLE.
But gouging the market right before shutting down and/or selling off the asset makes it someone elses problem.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smki
But gouging the market right before shutting down and/or selling off the asset makes it someone elses problem.
I doubt pwe would do that personally, they wanted the engine and people behind it, nobody is going to buy STO as it stands without a team behind it to fix and continue it.

what I really think the problem comes down to is that the people setting the prices are looking at a VERY FEW games like LotRO and DnDO and world of tanks and thinking they can copy or beet them at their own game.

what they dont see is the turnover rate those games have(its very very high)

where most of the f2p grinders can hold the same people for YEARS that the more westernized games cant.

good example is the 2 above and RoM(runes of magic) they all over charge in one way or another, rom rents storage space, but you can earn all store items with dailys in them all.....but the games all have high turnover due to pricing.
look at silkroad online or kalonline or 2 moons (i could list many many more) they hold onto people desite dated gfx and very grindy game play and NO way to grind store items(tho most offer them as excedingly rare drops or players can buy them and sell them for in game currancy), BUT because the store items are cheap(rarely more then 5 bucks) even people with little funds can afford to toss a few bucks in here and there, and people with alot of money can go hog wild without even thinking before they buy.

if you take a guy like my friend rod(known as sham/shamoo online), in kal and sro over the years he played them he dumped thousands into them, buying stuff without even thinking about it, for himself for friends, because per item/stack prices where so low, but you bring him into RoM/LotRO/DnD/STO and he sees the prices and has a hard time deciding to buy anything because....25bucks for a ship worth buying....makes him stop and think long and hard before he buys anything.....

anybody who knows marketing will tell you, if people have to over think a purchase thats a bad thing.... a very bad thing.....

if they can impulse buy it.....thats a good thing because they will do that over and over and over.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
I doubt pwe would do that personally, they wanted the engine and people behind it, nobody is going to buy STO as it stands without a team behind it to fix and continue it.

what I really think the problem comes down to is that the people setting the prices are looking at a VERY FEW games like LotRO and DnDO and world of tanks and thinking they can copy or beet them at their own game.

what they dont see is the turnover rate those games have(its very very high)

where most of the f2p grinders can hold the same people for YEARS that the more westernized games cant.

good example is the 2 above and RoM(runes of magic) they all over charge in one way or another, rom rents storage space, but you can earn all store items with dailys in them all.....but the games all have high turnover due to pricing.
look at silkroad online or kalonline or 2 moons (i could list many many more) they hold onto people desite dated gfx and very grindy game play and NO way to grind store items(tho most offer them as excedingly rare drops or players can buy them and sell them for in game currancy), BUT because the store items are cheap(rarely more then 5 bucks) even people with little funds can afford to toss a few bucks in here and there, and people with alot of money can go hog wild without even thinking before they buy.

if you take a guy like my friend rod(known as sham/shamoo online), in kal and sro over the years he played them he dumped thousands into them, buying stuff without even thinking about it, for himself for friends, because per item/stack prices where so low, but you bring him into RoM/LotRO/DnD/STO and he sees the prices and has a hard time deciding to buy anything because....25bucks for a ship worth buying....makes him stop and think long and hard before he buys anything.....

anybody who knows marketing will tell you, if people have to over think a purchase thats a bad thing.... a very bad thing.....

if they can impulse buy it.....thats a good thing because they will do that over and over and over.
Cryptic, please read and learn!
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
+1 on OP

Love the store will continue to spend spend spend.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post

On a side note: I do however find that your OP is lacking a certain amount of info... What is it in particular you like about the C-Store?

I am very interested.
I like that I can get a higher quality ship without having to grind dilithium (I have very limited playtime) and I like the little things, like DOff packs (they remind me of trading card game packs). I don't buy everything I see and generally save my purchases for specific things I want (like the DS9 pack for the Defiant bridge).

I ignore the things I don't want (like Cardassian lockboxes or the Odyssey pack), BUT if the Defiant happened to be a lock box drop (and not available in the store for example) I'd be throwing money at the C-Store like there was no tomorrow.

Basically, I was able to get some ships I love (high end Defiant class ships) and get a few fun things like uniforms and little doo dads. I was also able to sell a C-Store item I had an extra of to put on the exchange and get some decent credits to buy some high end ship weapons.

Overall I buy what I want and leave the rest. But I'm glad to at least have the options the C-Store offers.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
2 notes:
1. cryptic only wanted the STO IP to make money off "stupid syfy geeks"/"trekies/trekers not because they where fans or any of that, they view trek fans as stupid people with lots of money to spend on useless crap.

2. its not nickle and dime, because they dont want your nickles and dimes, they want your dollars and pounds, find me an item in the cstore thats under a buck.....(usd)

they should rename it to macrotransaction or macro payment system, because it sure as hell isnt micro....
I vote this post as the winner!

I do have the money to spend on $25.00 ships, but, I think they are overprised! Halve the prices and I'll lift my boycott. You can look at my account, I already own more than half of the C-Store ships and I promise to buy more if the prices become more reasonable.... hopefully before the Ambassador class is released...

I know, I could farm free C-points, but I don't have that kind of time. I'd rather just buy the stuff with $$. Heck, why not give a discout to C-Store items for ppl with subs? like 50% and stop the 400cp stipet.. I'll sub, and then start buying junk again.. food for thought..
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Exactly, as I've posted before, this is a business not a charity. I support the C-Store, more money for them equals more money to pay people to work which means more content for us
i've yet to see any proof of this. seen any influx of new developers? I haven't.

Quote:
I saw the announcements, f2p was sposta drop prices, but they are higher then ever now.....gotta love greed....
mmhmm. yet another example of us being lied to. surprise surprise, by the same guy whos in charge of things. can't say that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote:
Disagreeing with him/her doesn't mean people discount it. It just means they don't agree.
you missed the point there. it very much does mean they discount it. thats why the people that do that are apologists.

Quote:
Paypal is an outright pain to setup with my bank (Tons of forms to sign, plus a monthly fee?)
just out of curiosity what do you mean? i've had a paypal for years and have never had to fill out everything, nor have I ever been charged a fee, minus the time they bs'd me about there being insufficient funds in my account when I tried to add money to the account.

Quote:
and those pre-paid chargecards have a habit of just plain not working
i've used hundreds of them and never had an issue

Quote:
I'm sure you all realize that "Cryptic" doesn't actually exist anymore, right? It's name. The small group of gamers and Atari execs who founded Cryptic have cashed out.
it falls under the status of something of a subsidiary. like Origin, Maxis, Janes and Bullfrog did did under EA

Quote:
I blame the people managing them, the people in control dont see a value in focusing on debugging, or treating customers/players well, because they are making money despite not doing so.
if they see no value in those things they can't be very bright. nor do they have any business being in a management position in a business. that would be stupidity of the highest order.

Quote:
it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did it. other companies have. they bought the game because they had to buy the company to get the engine, and the game is a part of that.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
My gripe with the cstore is pretty much only with the lockboxes. I didn't like them when they first came out, but that was just personal preferance and decided to still spend money in the cstore, then they started that whole spam thing with it too. That's about the time I decided they will get none of my money until they can guarantee we will never see another grab bag with a ship in it again. The other thing bothering me about the c-store is ships that are easily outclassing anything else in their given tier.

I've told friends, family, and anyone even remotely interested in this game it's not worth it. There are much better games out there, that treat their customers better and *gasp* keep promises.

At the same time I also quit using the dilithium exchange because using it will help keep others buying cpoints. If this game is in so much trouble they have to open lotteries and can't be bothered with content, I'd personally rather see it die. That said, I WANT to see this game succeed, I want to see and play an unbelieveably awesome Star Trek MMO. I want to see Cyrptic do well. I want this game to thrive and flourish.

It's all about power, if the devs/managment/whoever is in charge, thinks we're willing to pay to support a game that treats us like this, if they think we "need" this game so we'll shell out money for it, if they think they have power over us because we "need" a Star Trek MMO, they'll keep doing lockboxes and things like it. If we're willing to say, "You need us, we don't put any money in, this game will die", that will put the customers back in power and hopefully change the philosophy of whoever is in charge.