Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Quote:
UFP'S FEDERATION NEWS NETWORK (Link to UFP's Interview: Click)
Are there any plans to continue remastering old PVE missions?

DAN STAHL
We will continue to do this where it makes sense and where the return on investment is solid. We would also like to see community authored Foundry missions take a more prominent role in the game, so you may see a combination of some remastered missions and some entirely new community missions replace some of our older content in the future.
Thats one heck of a statement to condition with a maybe! Especially since we've heard similar mutterings since before foundry first released. I've always heard it said that "Where there is a will, there is a way. But where theres a may theres a nay." The reason I decided to post at all about this was due to the fact that -for the most part- I've allowed Cryptic to start off on a new slate post f2p.

Hopefully this indicates, at the very least, that exploring ways to better integrate foundry from it's isolated UI environment, is on the minds of the developers for post season six. Its high time we see some definitive action put behind such concepts in developing this toolset, and in further catering to the community's appetite to enrich the game. We haven't heard words like "replace" in this respect for a long time (if ever). I still find that idea exciting.

Do you fellow forum-goers think that if that 'may' eventually turns into a 'will', that we could see the community actively tasked to create replacement missions that would simply

1. 'Revamp' existing official content (same general story/outcomes, but with a flexible route and room for greater depth), or
2. Create missions that would supplement existing content (for example, a mission that goes into who or what the Kuvah'magh is and how its relevant at all to supplement ... the Kuvah'magh mission), or
3. Create new missions as fillers/random popups (using broad 'themes' to guide them they could be then slotted in to general trek content like exploration and mystery/problem solving situations)

Or do you think the only tangible future for community content is spotlighting and UI search refinements?

We've seen that the community responds well to being tasked with such design parameters for missions (the recent themed foundry challenge). If the integration is -really- developed, I think the community would not disappoint.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm all for the inclusion of Foundry created and Dev re-mastered missions being inserted into the STO storyline. The replacement of existing older content should be on a minimum level though and not if it changes the or disrupts the main overall storyline.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm all for this and it's something I've wanted to see done since Foundry rolled out.

I know someone will bring it up eventually, but I never really found the argument that the Foundry is there to get players to do the dev's jobs for them to hold much water. Some people like creating. Some people are good at it. They have the option - it isn't a requirement. If they volunteer to make something and they come up with something good and enjoyable... why not have the devs polish it up and stick it into the game as "real" content? Everyone wins as far as I can tell.

Another factor is that the dev team is still somewhat small and they have their way of doing things. This kind of thing opens doors to a LOT of fresh blood... folks creating new, unique missions unlike anything devs have probably even considered. Variety is the spice of life, yo.

I really hope they can get some shorter but substantive missions to start plugging in as Patrol Missions... most of those are so incredibly tedious and dull. It would be awesome to go patrol a system and actually have something relatively engaging to do.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Older missions replaced by the community? Why does this have red flags all over it?

Nay to option 1. I'm all for the community to make NEW content that could be added into the game in an official capacity, but the thought of already existing story missions redone by the community is just unappealing. If Cryptic wants to modify existing content themselves, fine. But the community? No, hands off.

Options 2 and 3, however, I would be okay with, Especially 3. Anything to break the mold of "Kill X Enemies" or "Scan X Objects" that has plagued the game since launch.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2012, 08:33 AM
That is a very strange statement.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
STO Devs and their statements... I would rather say wait what really happens.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I read that to mean that by "older content" they mean story missions along the lines of what was originally released with the game, not that they would put Foundry missions in place of existing missions.

In other words Foundry authors will tell the stories in the game and the dev team will continue making 5-man time gated missions....
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2012, 09:11 AM
This was obviously going to happen at some point. With the cryptic devs seemingly not able to do anything other than put time into creating the "next" price gouge lockbox...

Quite sad really
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2012, 09:16 AM
It would be interesting if the KDF levels got filled with foundry missions. Perhaps that would bring the KDF player levels up and convince Cryptic to start making some KDF only missions and items again.
Lt. Commander
Maybe i finally got to him with all of my, Foundry and Dev posts since they seem to be running out ideas, they give us the tools and we crank them out. This is gonna be sick when it comes to full effect and that's a big "IF". People like Kirkfat, and many others in the ST Foundry Community will not disappoint! I still feel giddy about having one of my missions as part of Trek lore like i'm the writer lol.

I have a few more ideas:

Team builds, its where people can team up and work on missions together. That way someone with the ideas can go with a builder and make the best mission possible

Cutscene movie editor, make cutscenses with your missions like the FE's so that way it gives a feel of the FE's if Cryptic decides to act on it. (this may be out of possibility but just an expansion idea)

Re-categorize the the foundry missions, okay who would love to play an Episode of the NEXT Star Trek series. Of course we should expand the Official storyline but just imagine if you could create a show like Star Trek Voyager in the foundry. So categorize them as Series, then STO storyline. Then under that have sub folders with all the STO "shows" people created, as a third category make Holonovels as in the Hirogen WW2 thing or Picard's Saddle rides etc.

Open titles and credits, okay, we ALL want some canon look to the missions right, although they have the title in the beginning of the missions like the actual programs like Star Trek: (something to be determined later), have opening sequence with the title, episode name then the writers or foundry people if its one then one if its mulitple then mulitple. its would say (Created by ................) and end the show with the same thing after completion. With ST font and such

Then this should give us the canon look and then the Cryptic devs can focus on game mechanics and foundry too plus the stuff in Cstore and we can create missions and get content. Everyone wins. One request in these missions, NO LOCKBOXES. STFs and FA's fair game. Added bonus is a more Trek feel.