Lt. Commander
# 1 Odyssey Class - Disappointing
01-26-2012, 04:24 AM
I'm not sure what everyone thinks but pretty much for me the BO layout screams another support ship which we do not need and already have. AKA Star Cruiser. Plus even if you tried to make this ship do some damage your defences in a serious PvP situation such as premades, fleets or solo would be severely compromised. What kills it the most is the fact that is has 3 science consoles and only " 2 " tactical consoles, again screaming as a support ship.

This ship will never be able to do serious damage because it is too slow, lacks consoles, lacks a decent BO layout. We don't need another support ship already. So either you go dps and have no serious defence which will pretty make you as easy as a BOP or you go maximum defence and support and do no damage.

No thanks Cryptic. Back to the drawing board on this one I think. I'll stick to my my Majestic Class over this because it is perfectly balanced to do both.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Feel free to comment on this or about your thoughts regarding to the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-26-2012, 04:35 AM
The new ship shouldn't be the best of the best, because then we'd see everyone flying around with their free Odyssey class (well, except for me as the anniversary event is smack in the middle of my holiday). The fact that it isn't perfect for every specialization is a good thing, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-26-2012, 04:55 AM
I like the layout of the ship because it doesn't obsolete these ships:

Assault Cruiser
Dreadnought Cruiser
Advanced Retrofit Cruiser

You could argue it obsoletes the Star Cruiser, but not really. Star Cruiser can do everything the Odyssey does IF the captain uses the Lt. Cmdr BO on the Odyssey as an engineer. If not, then the Star Cruiser is still tankier than the Odyssey.

It also doesn't obsolete the Advanced Research Vessel Retrofit because that ship has 4 sci consoles and can devote its universal BO to science.

The only ship that has absolutely no value now compared to the alternatives is the Galaxy retrofit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-26-2012, 05:00 AM
The thing is, none of the incarnations of the Starship Enterprise have been "warships".
Were pretty much looking at a versitile ship of exploration that can easily reconfigure itself for multiple roles, none of them being a frontline battleship, as it should be.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Definitely a nice ship, will turn like a hippo in mud but I drive the dreadnought already so no change there. Just gotta decide how I configure the Boff slots now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-26-2012, 05:30 AM
set up looks great in my view. love the versatility but it does not seem overpowered.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-26-2012, 06:02 AM
You know, seems to me if they were taking votes on the ship design for player choice, why didn't they get player choice on layout?

- The BOFF layout is good, I don't see a problem there.
- The consoles layout looks like, "go back and try again."
- The ship it clearly a step down from the Assault Cruiser.
I'm not even going to mension +10 Aux instead of +5 weapons, whatever that is about.

Maybe I will run the mission on the 2nd to get one for my Ferengi, since it is free and all...

They will need to do something pretty amazing to get me to purchase one from the C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleto_Deadman
I'm not even going to mension +10 Aux instead of +5 weapons, whatever that is about. .
Healboat.

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-26-2012, 06:13 AM
umm... where did official stats on the Odyssey come from? just curious
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
umm... where did official stats on the Odyssey come from? just curious