Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Okay, I know we're all skeptical and we'll only believe it when we see it, but anyway:
A fellow poster, GraveFatal1ty has provided a neat transcript of a Subspace Radio Interview, and I am quoting him here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveFatal1ty
Title: Dan Stahl Interview
Transcriber(s): Yumene, Berryshine
Date: March 17, 2012
Original Air Date: March 9, 2012
Link: http://www.subspace-radio.net/index....17898&catid=41

--- EXCERPT---
Tanner: Right. Exactly. Alright, so that definitely answered that question. That was one that was definitely on my mind, I know for sure. So, alright, another one from here, from the list is about PvP. One of the biggest complaints seen about PvP is getting continuously getting steamrolled by PvP fleets or premades. Are there any plans for making any quote unquote tier system for PvP that will match players against each other with similar skills or, to a lesser extent, gear levels? Or perhaps a premade versus premade or PUGs versus PUGs system?
Dan: <scrambled> I’ll answer some of those questions. In terms of coming up with a PvP system that uses a ranking system or some sort of leveling system in order for matchmaking, which I think we’re talking about
Tanner: Right
Dan: In terms of a matchmaking system, we are looking at some new tech like I said in a previous interview I was talking about, there’s a team at Cryptic that’s been working on a PvP game over the last year and they built out a lot of this tech that allows us to do things like matchmaking. So we’re actually getting our hands dirty on that code right now, trying to figure out if we can port it over to Star Trek and what we can and can’t use out of that system. So I fully expect in season six, as we get closer I’ll have a better idea of whether or not we’ll have something. I’d certainly love to have something like that. But in the meantime what I really want to do is get our new, is get the PvP maps updated and working on this better code, so that we can make our PvP maps better than they’ve ever been. And we’re just trying to fix some of the issues that we have in some of them and in addition I’m hoping that we’ll also add some new modes, or changing some of the PvP maps over to different types of gameplay. Because I know for example, one of the things that we … there’s a capture the flag mode, maybe there’s a king of the hill mode in this new tech, so if we can get some of our maps ported over to that, or new maps made in that system, we’re definitely gonna do that. We have dedicated resources for season six to add that PvP update.
Tanner: Okay, awesome. Now another question along that line that was in here was about any chance of a tournament or ranking system for the PvP.
Dan: That would be, in my mind the third thing that we could do. We could certainly do leaderboards and that’s one of the things we are talking about doing that I didn’t mention. First of all we want leaderboards working for PvP and once we get once get, not just match leaderboards, but an overall standing leaderboard, that kinda goes <scrambled> So, once we get matchmaking, once we get leaderboards then I could see us maybe doing something along the lines of a tournament. But that’s sorta the last thing that we would do in that list of stuff.
It's possible we already talked about this, but I am not sure if everyone had a transcript or listened to the interview.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Ive never pvped before this game, please translate Mustrum.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2012, 05:44 AM
I haven't PvPed before this game, either...

Basically, match-making and leaderboards:
Leaderboards track player success and failures and rank players.
Match-Making can information like this to put together matches with equally skilled players or groups.

PvP Maps and PvP Modes should be self-explanatory.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-18-2012, 06:18 AM
That's pretty much what I got out of his STOked interview. New mechanics incoming, so new PvP options will be available for the devs.

What I would like to see first, though. Is more Dev participation in PvP. Seriously, my faith in their ability to use these potential new mechanics well would be greatly bolstered if I saw them playing the most challenging, gear and skill dependent part of their game sometimes. PvP is really where flaws in the system become readily apparent (NPC's don't stack 20 buffs or use P2W consoles, afterall).

Please, there has been a little bit to bolster my faith that PvP will get some love lately (skills getting fixed, broken abilities/gear/doff interaction fixed in fairly short order), but there have also been inexplicably bad decisions that show little regard to PvP (universal consoles, universal consoles being equipable on any ship, flagship 6-pack, lock boxes, an overall P2W mentality, apparent sci ship nerfs ie: no more boost to skills from sci team, sci fleet or any other ability and huge low cost resistances being added to the skill tree).

Dev presence in the queues would definitely go a long way in showing you guys cared and show that you understood how your game was being played... plus, who doesn't enjoy being killed by a dev command? lol
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Spin masterclass.
The 'strike team' was not workjing on anything remotely related to STO, and there's only a chance we'll ever see any fruit from it.
i would imagine that if porting over some code for pvp got in the way of the next 15 c-store ships development cycle it will immediately take a back seat and never resurface again. Remember the raiding zones on tribble way back when? Yeah, never heard from again.
Lots of 'if', 'maybe', 'we're looking at', and 'talking about doing'. I for one won't get my hopes up too soon only to have cryptics casual disregard for pvp crush them again.

Sorry, I'm feeling cynical today :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Honestly i do not think the devs even know what PvP is and that this game still has people who do it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Im fair certain a few of them play under assumed names and accounts
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-18-2012, 09:47 AM
this has all been said before, and it will all be said again.

talk is cheap, especially when coming from cryptic. Ive gotten my hopes up and have been burnt too many times. I'll believe it when I see it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks but that guy has never been an especially interesting read. I have Fox News if I want smoke blown up my skirt.

More to the topic though, it could just be my horrible win loss ratio talking but I'm not as interested leader boards and stuff. The current state of the game in general has so many problems that make those numbers mean less. Right now good players and teams are lumped in the same successful tier as those who abuse all the broken stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-18-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm with Hale on this one completely. /tac teams and Tss2s Hale.