Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
So, as a community (with myself definitely included), we often times like to jump down the devs throat about every aspect that we find to be out of balance in the game, especially balance issues within pvp. In no way am I saying we let up in holding them accountable to the game we all enjoy to play so much, but as I stayed up pvping with some fleetmates way later than I probably should have, I realized that I had accumulated a pretty good chunk of dilithium tonight from simply pew pewing all night. It my late night delirium, I thought why not give the devs a pat on the back for some of the things they've gotten right with pvp

Now I know there are going to be some sarcastic trolls that will inevitably come through this thread, but for most the ppl reading this thread, pvp is the only reason we play this game. While the state of balance in this game always seems to be skewed, lets remember that there must be SOMETHING about the game thats good, otherwise none of us would be here anymore. Lets throw the devs a bone and list a few

-Thanks for making pvp a way to farm some dilithium instead of it being a total time sink with no payout
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2012, 03:20 AM
It's true. The dilithium rewards for PVP could have been worse.

But I still think that there are only two things that Cryptic has truly done better than other companies:

1) The @handle system that allows you to choose your character names freely without running into collisions with other players.
2) The patcher. It's downloading only the bits that require patching in compressed form and it's smart enough to cross-copy between holodeck/tribble directories. Much better than the patchers for Rift or Black Prophecy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2012, 06:33 AM
I too am happy about being able to gain dilithium in PvP (i.e. the daily like wrapper mission). I could get more from doing a mix but I at least have the option now. I can play the game I want.

I like seeing a couple of the Devs sticking their heads in here from time to time. We don't always get what we need and they often get more than they bargained for but I hope that they can stick it out. If they can follow a model of interaction like they do with the Doff system I'm willing to bet that a lot of animosity could be taken care of and we could move on to the serious improvements.

Auto teaming was a great addition. That some of us fail to fully utilize it is our own fault.

Mostly I just like PvP in STO. I've never PvPed anywhere else but this really has a grip on me. That's why I'm so serious about seeing the improvements that we really need. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a good game with lots of potential or else I would have left by now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-18-2012, 08:48 AM
i have more dilithium then i will ever be able to refine
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2012, 09:01 AM
The basics of ship combat and movement. While the pitiful Z axis needs addressing direly, the basics of STO movement are very sound.
Tactical powers at least seem about where they should be other than Target Subsystems being less than 1/2 of what they should be.
I like the graphics of our ships?
the @handle system. Thank god for this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
even though Im not a fan of the lock boxes, at first I thought it was it was nice that they included box drops in pvp. although after seeing the exorbitant amount of common boxes and the pitiful amount of gold boxes showing up, the feeling has worn off.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
It's true. The dilithium rewards for PVP could have been worse.

But I still think that there are only two things that Cryptic has truly done better than other companies:

1) The @handle system that allows you to choose your character names freely without running into collisions with other players.
2) The patcher. It's downloading only the bits that require patching in compressed form and it's smart enough to cross-copy between holodeck/tribble directories. Much better than the patchers for Rift or Black Prophecy.
Their patching got even better over time - now it's able to patch stuff in-game. I am still a little confused how often that seems to happen, but it beats downloading everything at once, since you can play more spontaneously even after a long hiatus.

In that vein, the single-shard system - I vastly prefer it over countless of individual servers/shards, making it impossible to play with some people without creating alts on all of them.
The Tribble character transfer is also solid - TOR did not start with such a thing, for example.

Private Challenges were a great PvP addition, no doubt about that.

Also, ship and character customization is excellent. Even if it means we're not really wearing uniforms. Even if we'd ignore that, they have a lot of good stuff in there.

Miss animations were an excellent addition - they provide more feedback and they increase the Startrekkiness by another 10 %.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Space PvP is fun. Not perfect but fun.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
They have done plenty of things right even if at times they don't want too admit it. lol

One of the best F2P setups I have seen. (for returning players for sure) The conversion of old pvp badges too dilithium gave me a huge bump. Coming back I was able to purchase more then enough perks too make my silver account more then playable. I have also been able to earn more then enough D in game too purchase what ever I have wanted from the cstore. Game plays just like it did before for me... accept that every week or so I have made enough D to pick up another ship or do a few respects ect.... I am happy with that.

Space combat has always been interesting... unlike most other MMOs the setup with Boff skills has allowed us too free our selves and even our teams from traditional tank / heal / dps roles.

As Mancon mentioned @handle system is the best account name system I have seen... why no other companies have copied this is beyond me.

One server... granted the population here may not be that of a WOW or a TOR, however Cryptic has found a way too keep everything in one universe. Shards are fine if it means where not segregated completely.

Space PvP in general... I have tired too leave for multiple other games and keep coming back... I could say its just the people I get too pew pew with, but that's only half true. Space pvp in this game (may have been an accident lol) is one of the best PvP games in existence IMHO. Balance may not be 100% all the time... there have been times though between this patch or that patch when things have been so very good... even now outside of a couple issues it really is pretty awsome.

There by the end I added a back hand too one compliment, I am done now back too grumpy mode.

EDIT - after posting else where... gear grind is nice here too... there isn't one. Yes we don't have "PvP" earned gear... and too be honest that's a good thing... every game I have played that does turns PvP into a farm fest... I really hope cryptic never adds a "PvP" set too the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
you know what is pretty alright?

the awesomeness of our community.

there are a lot of us who stick it out, good times and bad. broken powers or gear just won't stop us. and lots have been here much longer than i.

doesnt matter what fleet you are in, much respect is given all around for the most part. and we tend to agree a lot.

there is not 1 more helpful community among mmo's. nor any with as much wit, and worldly knowledge.

here is to you STO PVP community, you....are pretty alright.

have fun, kill bad guys

-horizon