Lt. Commander
# 1 Tac - Sci ship build ?
03-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Hi !

Atm I'm a VA Tacti on Defiant Retrofit. And I'm thinking about switching to my Intreprid retrofit (Voyager's fan inside).
So I need help from players who try this, or who know how build to work fine. In my first think I choose 6 beam weapon and use this science skill :
- Tractor Beam 1
- Transfer Shield Strength 2
- Scramble Sensors 2
- Viral Matrix 3

Other skills are for tank shield (Emergency Power to Shields and Reverse Shield Polarity).

- Did you think tank shield is right way ?
- Did you think 6 Beam is good think ?
- Did you have any tips about the skill build ?
- Did you have any tips for ship build ?

TY all
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2012, 02:58 PM
I've done this with a tac in an RSV, was pretty durable and I laughed at status effects, but my damage output wasn't much (ended up retiring the character to free the slot). I'd get Transfer Shields 3, since you'll have the slot, and you'll want a Polarize Hull (for tractor-beam resist) and Hazard Emitters in there somewhere.

As far as offensive powers though, I'm not really sure. I retired the character because while I could easily render my targets helpless, I didn't have any real hammer beyond a high-yield quantum volley to take advantage of that. Maybe if you do a lot of team stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavadi
Hi !

Atm I'm a VA Tacti on Defiant Retrofit. And I'm thinking about switching to my Intreprid retrofit (Voyager's fan inside).
So I need help from players who try this, or who know how build to work fine. In my first think I choose 6 beam weapon and use this science skill :
- Tractor Beam 1
- Transfer Shield Strength 2
- Scramble Sensors 2
- Viral Matrix 3

Other skills are for tank shield (Emergency Power to Shields and Reverse Shield Polarity).

- Did you think tank shield is right way ?
- Did you think 6 Beam is good think ?
- Did you have any tips about the skill build ?
- Did you have any tips for ship build ?

TY all

Don't use 6 beams... 5 beams arrays + 1 torp. 6 beams will drain your weapon power too much. I tried it once... it wasn't good. If you use polaron + tyken's rift 3, you can drop their shields to unload with the torp.

I used High Yield and torp spread for my tier 1 tac boffs, and Fire at Will 2 for tier 2. As many beam weapon boosters as you can get. putting points into structural integrity/armor will keep your ship from popping the moment they bust your shields.

My basic strategy is to start in Aux mode, drop Tyken's and Feedback, then switch to weapons mode and shoot beams and torps until cooldowns are up. It's a good blend of science,

For skills, I concentrated on Flow Capacitors and Particle Generators + weapons, hull, shields, etc, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Sci ships have a decent turn rate.

I like: 2 Dual Beam Banks, 1 Torp Forward, 2 mines and 1 Array aft.

Skills:

Com Sci: TSS, Repulsors, TR1, GW3

Lt Com Sci: PH, HE2, GW1

Lt Eng: EPtS1, RSP1 (just in case)

Lt Tac: Tac Team, Torp Spread 2

Ens Eng: EPtS1

The style is easy: pick a spot, orient where you want, fire of GW3, TR, GW1 (as CDs demand), while unloading FAW and TS2 into the grouped up mobs. If you balance and spec right, you can have Aux and Weapons both near or over 100, with shields hitting 100 while EPtS is up (yeah, I'm an engineer, sue me).

As a Tac, you'll be able to pull off some decent burst with Spread 2 and FOMM, Tac Initiative. The DBB will help vs capital ships as sensor analysis kicks in, and RSP gives you that little extra room to shield tank while using only TSS1. HE2 and PH share a CD, so be careful about them. You can also replace PH with Aux to ID on the Lt. Eng, as it will give a good move resist, or Aux to SiF1 for a burst heal/resist all increase.

YMMV
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Ty all for answer. I not sure I will try this build. I keep time of thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Look up the fed shipyards forum, and find some of the posts on their, but i can 100% tell you, that if you want to do dmg in a sci vessel the ONLY decent option is the nebby.

DONT waste your money on the intrepid, once you have both you just literally wont use it, for anything,
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2012, 02:59 AM
To get the most out of a Tac toon in a sci ship is use those sci powers with kinetic damage as your inherent tac captain powers will boost the damage you do substantially. Tractor beam repulsors, and photonic shock wave (two great powers that dont require aux power for kinetic damage) damage is boosted a ton with things like attack pattern alpha, tactical fleet, go down fighting etc, Continue to wear down you enemy over time with torp spread using plasma torpedos. The plasma fire DOT stacks. (DOT and stacks also boosted by tac abilities. You would remiss if you didnt take advantage of the true potentials of being a tac/sci captain
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-29-2012, 06:22 AM
I tried tac/sci a lot before giving up. I don't think it holds a candle to the power of actually being in a warship. For one thing, Tactical Initiative reduces CD of tac abilities, of which you'll only have two.

That said, if you're going to try it anyway, I heartily second Photonic Shockwave at rank III as soon as you can manage. It's like a giant pbaoe tricobalt -- max the skill and put in four Particle Generator consoles and you'll be impressed.

Such a build should work nicely in PvE (most things do), good in STF teams (don't pug, because if everyone is farting around in a cruiser all disorganzied you won't have the dps to really make up the slack).

In PvP, a lot of the controls won't do much, but photonic shockwave, again, has the power of disable plus a lot of kinetic damage. Probably also put in Charged Particle Burst (particularly if you are Fed against Klingon, disables cloak). Plus you can have incredibly high shields -- whether you want to fill your sci slots with field generators (sigh) or keep the particle generators depends on team and threat.