Lt. Commander
# 11
03-18-2012, 02:34 PM
DOffs wheren't around in my day, so yes, I would still be playing, it's not a deciding factor for me.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-18-2012, 02:48 PM
I would still be playing, but I LOVE the DoFF system, and there are times I log on only to do DoFF missions.

It's a great addition to the game, and I really hope they take it and run with it, and find ways to expand and enhance it.

My only complaint is that there isn't a mobile app or a browser-based setup that I can log into to start assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I've honestly grown bored with the Doff system.

I might occasionally remember to throw out a few Doffs if I'm passing through a Sector I haven't been to in a while, and with two of my characters I usually try and get them some Diplo Doff Missions in order to get them to Ambassador.. But I don't log in to do the Doff system.

Just like I don't log in to do STFs. And I don't log in to do Dilithium missions.

I realize playable content creation will never, ever be able to keep up with player demand, but the Devs and the Corporate folks at Cryptic and PWE need to understand that turning everything into a repetitive grind drives away more players than it attracts. And it angers enough retained players that they stop spending money.

That putting every single last little thing on the C-Store drives away more F2Pers than it attracts, and that a game that gets some new content on a regular basis is a better game than one that gets new micro-transaction fodder at a ridiculous rate at the expense of playable content.

We are the people who play STO, we are the ones who know what we'll buy. We are the ones who, more than the Bean Counters, want this game to be successful over the long term. Bean Counters are worried about next quarter, and will sacrifice next year or the year after if it makes next quarter better. Your players are worried about the long haul, listen to them. It's better to get 1% increase per quarter for 5 years than it is to get 3% increase in just one or two quarters and then have the game go belly up.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Short answer, probably not. Given the stability problems, lack of story content, and bugs that haven't been fixed in two years. But, as someone said recently, "It's better than pushing my micro machine Enterprise across my desk and making a woosh sound."

I play STFs, but I've got the accolade for doing all the elite optionals. I've got everything but the Mark XII set. If it weren't for something else I probably wouldn't bother with STFs since the Mk XII set is almost impossible to get. But, I have gotten into the colony chains. I am max level and kinda want max level DOFFs- a crew of blue and purples. So I log in-based entirely on when the DOFF missions reset, hang out playing dabo at Quarks, run STFs when a group pops up (for one that I want to play), and run DOFF missions.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I bought a LTS in Feb 2011...

Yes, I would still be playing...

Though it would be a lot less fun.

Lt. Commander
# 16
03-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
To answer the thread title, no, i would not be playing if DOff system didnt exist
I'm really impressed with the amount of work that went into the cosmetic ship system for the vessel I fly my DOFF's around in. Supposedly there are missions you can do using your cosmetic ship, including a space combat minigame, and even a minigame where your captain beams down and shoots phasers at people?
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-18-2012, 03:09 PM
+1 for the doff system, it certainly brings the galaxy more to life, but I'd still just shoot things.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
To answer the thread title, no, i would not be playing if DOff system didnt exist
This. The STFs are not entertaining enough in any measurable sense to keep my interest alone.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdblog
I'm really impressed with the amount of work that went into the cosmetic ship system for the vessel I fly my DOFF's around in. Supposedly there are missions you can do using your cosmetic ship, including a space combat minigame, and even a minigame where your captain beams down and shoots phasers at people?
Yes there's "missions." They entail donning Spock ears and grabbing a water pistol while running around chasing your friends yelling "Tachyon Beam" and "Quantum Torpedo" rather than "Lightning Bolt!" Only this time when the server inexplicably crashes you wake up to a toasted red shirt in your closet rather than ruby slippers.
Lt. Commander
# 20 i'm a sto gamer
03-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M View Post
Question popped into my head a few days ago.

I honestly couldn't imagine this game without it...well I can, we live it for nearly two years lol.

Logging in, running around the sectors trying to find good assignments is all i ever do these days. I can honestly say i wasn't too excited about the latest featured episode series either. I mean the dominion coming through the wormhole, taking over DS9...felt like been there, done that already in the show.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this thread so i guess what I'm wondering is what is everyone's focus in the game right now?...stf's, pvp, episodes, foundry, doffs? What are you guys hoping for in the near future?
Yes I would play this game there would be other things that they would have added, that being said the doff system adds tons of mental stuff for me to engage in. Trekkies need mental games to play, the doff system fits in perfectly with nerd minds. Also the doff system seems to be getting more complicated. As a chess player,i love playing someone who is better than i, but after i beat m a few times i lose interest. The doff system seems to understand this and adds complexity over time. Good job devs.