Lt. Commander
Why?

In my two fleets, the SF41 The Black Sheep and the KDF41 The Ghostriders we are set up to mimic a TV Production company. We play Star Trek using the game and its' assets to produce our shows. In our fleets, our leaders are titled executive producers. The executive producers use the Foundry tool to produce episodes for our fleet members to role play in.

So between feature episodes we can play our own version of Star Trek content tailored to our social group.

I think that it is important for players to keep in mind that the this is a game that requires a very sophisticated engine to operate. There will be times that things will not work correctly. Also, there will be a duration of time when the developers will need to create new content.

So, for thee reasons and some others, I will still play Star Trek Online, even if the Duty Officer System (DOFF) was not here. I like the Duty Officer System. It gives me time to play Star Trek Online and play SWTOR at the same time.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-18-2012, 03:39 PM
I’d still be playing, I look at the doff system as a diversion at best. and a annoyance at worst. The only time I tend to mess with it is when I happen to be in game and a buddy I'm playing with mention it and I remember oh ya I’ve not pushed any of those buttons in a while.

it just feels like busy work the kinda thing they hand off to admirals that have gotten to old and fat to trusted to pick up the phaser they just dropped. or the kinda thing you’d just want to hand off to your xo.

I do know at least 1 person that loves it though. he talks about all the time when in game. Its about all he does in sto. I do wish they had an android/iphone app that could plug into the doff system. So you could use it from a tablet or phone. that way it truly could fell like a minor diversion you could fiddle with from wherever you were at.

the one thing I do really like about the doff system is the flavor text when you take into account the chances of death for your doff’s.

send doffs to shadow x enemy fleet chance of critical failure and possible death 0%

send doff’s to a party with sinthahol. chance of critical failure which can lead to death 5%

send doff’s on marathon race. chance of critical failure which can lead to death 5%

have doff’s experiment and see what they can make with tulaberries. chance of critical failure which can lead to death 8%
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdblog
I'm really impressed with the amount of work that went into the cosmetic ship system for the vessel I fly my DOFF's around in. Supposedly there are missions you can do using your cosmetic ship, including a space combat minigame, and even a minigame where your captain beams down and shoots phasers at people?
The only thing missing is watching the shuttles leave and depart as the DOFF missions start and finish.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Most likely not as my interest would have completely waned by now. Of course the DOff didn't keep me playing playing so much as the skill changes and combat changes. Even then if I did not have a lifer sub, the lack of a complete KDF would have seen me leaving along time ago.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingshoebox View Post
send doffs to shadow x enemy fleet chance of critical failure and possible death 0%

send doff’s to a party with sinthahol. chance of critical failure which can lead to death 5%

send doff’s on marathon race. chance of critical failure which can lead to death 5%

have doff’s experiment and see what they can make with tulaberries. chance of critical failure which can lead to death 8%
Yeah, there does seem to be some kind of balance issue going on with the risk system...I have more DOFFs dying in the kitchen than I do on the battlefield, for some reason. It was funny at first, but then it got old when I started repeatedly seeing stuff like:

Mission: Make a sandwich
Result: Your chef impaled himself on a carving knife while trying to open the peanut butter jar.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-18-2012, 04:38 PM
The ONLY reason I currently play is because it's free.

The DOFF system is a fun distraction, but I wouldn't pay money for it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
Yeah, there does seem to be some kind of balance issue going on with the risk system...I have more DOFFs dying in the kitchen than I do on the battlefield, for some reason. It was funny at first, but then it got old when I started repeatedly seeing stuff like:

Mission: Make a sandwich
Result: Your chef impaled himself on a carving knife while trying to open the peanut butter jar.
Wasn't it a Butter Knife?
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Wasn't it a Butter Knife?
No. He was an imbecile and was using a carving knife in a situation that called for a butter knife.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I really was not that interested in the Doff system when it was release. I posted "Meh" and "Yawn" on several occasion :p. Damn you Crypic - I'm a tad addicted now. I Probably would not be playing now if the Doff system did not keep be busy..... Oh and the recent FE Lets is hope for some new dailies!
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
No, And I'm already getting bored of it, the chain missions have held my interest, some, I now log in, at least 3 times a week where as before, it was twice, if i was lucky. I'm tired of the game, its long list of bugs, huge lack of content, serious trust issues with the devs and everything else that goes on here.