Lt. Commander
# 1 Powers not activating
03-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Is anyone else having issues with powers not activating? This was a problem a long time ago that was fixed, but lately I seem to be looking down at things I've clicked only to see they haven't been clicked (or pressed in the case of keybinds). This seems to be happening to me in space and on the ground.

One thing I've always had trouble with is activing a power like high-yield right as it comes off cooldown. If I do it to fast it goes into a shortened cooldown and doesn't actually do the buff. I also notice this with my Bio-Neural Warhead and sometimes with the Breen Transphasic torpedo. Click it right as it comes off cooldown and it'll go back to a cooldown and not fire.

I've checked, and this is happening even when i'm not subjected to any debuffs.

While I'm on the subject of powers misfiring, there's also an issue if you are firing a high-yield while moving. If you press fire at the edge of the firing arc and your target moves out of the arc only some of the torpedoes will fire. A 3 or 4 torp high yield can become only one if the timing is right.

Anyone else?

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Been noticing that a lot too in the past week. Never had that problem before.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I played some more last night and the issue is still there.

Are we the only ones?

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
I have noticed this in the last few weeks aswell more so on ground than in space esp with the revive when resing team mates (have to do it twice to have it activate, which is something that really needs a fix esp in stf when your in the middle of combat against an elite drone on elite -_-).

my guess is its just the UI lag in gen and hopefully by S6 we can see another boost to the UI code, if Lexeme is still working on the UI I'll see if we can forward it again to the team either way. Mabye even Tumerboy can float his taco over and just nudge them lol.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Never fear you're not the only ones having this issue. In talking with my fleet it seems everyone has this problem. It is especially noticable when in the heat of battle (ie elite STF) and you want power to fire off quickly. The only option that works for me is to rapidly click on it 2 or 3 times to make sure it goes and quickly move on to next one. This does not guarantee that the power will go off but works about 75% of the time. I actually noticed this being an issue back when they sped up the ground game and the powers we use did not seem to get any boost in activation time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvack View Post
Never fear you're not the only ones having this issue. In talking with my fleet it seems everyone has this problem. It is especially noticable when in the heat of battle (ie elite STF) and you want power to fire off quickly. The only option that works for me is to rapidly click on it 2 or 3 times to make sure it goes and quickly move on to next one. This does not guarantee that the power will go off but works about 75% of the time. I actually noticed this being an issue back when they sped up the ground game and the powers we use did not seem to get any boost in activation time.
Try to get your fleetmates to post -- the more unique posters the better.

Yes, we had to do this in the first year too. It might not be the same bug, but it is the same experience. I might try to find the original thread and wake the zombie if it exists. That usually gets dev attention.

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
This is still a real problem. Please acknowledge that you at least are aware of it.

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-13-2012, 01:08 PM
This problem has been around for a VERY long time. And has never been fixed as of this date. It probably requires a whole rewrite of that particular system and the developers probably think "As long as it works, it works".

The fact is, the system is outdated. Every recent game or MMO has some sort of mechanism where the user doesn't have to get a headache and worry about whether an ability has actually been activated yes or no.

Most new games have some sort of mechanism where the request for the ability to be activated (Which is send to the server) is somehow acknowledged and gets activated no matter what. Server missing packets is no excuse since they should incorporate some form of error correction or backup.

This system needs a total rewrite and some sort of queue where your activated abilities are being stored until everything can be processed by the server, and the client got acknowledgement that the ability has actually been updated.

Unfortunately this system is so premature that its a real headache (Especially in PVP where alot is happening) and players with a fast response time will especially know what I mean.

I've just came back from SWTOR a few weeks ago and I must say they really have their tray + abilities and the code beyond it under control and it works great. (Better then STO's to be honest)

(For peeps that think its lag related, no. Even with lag some security measurements can be put into place so that somehow the server still acknowledges the activate request even if it takes some time because of latency)
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
i have always had this problem slightly with tac team however recently i switched from high yield to torp spread on few of my ships and have had a serious issue in pvp and stf to such a point that i think it errors half the time and have seriously noticed it after the last patch.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Considering how long its been around for, I have a feeling this is another one of those fixes that would require to heavy of an investment in resources, manpower, and time for cryptic to even attempt to address.