Lt. Commander
# 1 Authenticator
03-18-2012, 03:56 PM
This game needs to have log in authenticators.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredpeon View Post
At a unit cost of $40 - $70 for hand held authenticators, plus the subscriptions costs in the tens of thousands of dollars per year for the authentication server software, this game can't afford the use of authenticators...

(So how much are you willing to 'Pay' for this feature???)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I can't talk about the cost on their end for the server how ever I'll toss back at you the cost of following up/dealing with hacked accounts vs. the servers. How much will it cost in man power and hours to undo hacked account damage?

Also as for the authenticators, if you have a smart phone or similar device you can get this for free. WoW and SWTOR already do this.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannlore View Post
I can't talk about the cost on their end for the server how ever I'll toss back at you the cost of following up/dealing with hacked accounts vs. the servers. How much will it cost in man power and hours to undo hacked account damage?

Also as for the authenticators, if you have a smart phone or similar device you can get this for free. WoW and SWTOR already do this.
the way i see it, if your acct gets hacked, only person to blame is yourself.

the acct login name is obfuscated quite well(you dont know my login name from my forum or in game handles)

My password is complex and secure(thanks keepass)

most people i see get hacked get hacked because their character name is the same as their login name, and their passwords very simple......

or they give their info out to people they shouldnt.......

authenticators are a pain, cell phone cuts out alot of people world wide who dont have one or who cant use SMS due to cost(some places its still over a buck an sms from what i was reading recently)

some games use in game codes to protect your account like requiem, the login pin is a pain it the arse.....(try it yourself) but would do what you are asking.

my advice if your worried about account security, grab keepass and generate a very complex password
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
the way i see it, if your acct gets hacked, only person to blame is yourself.

the acct login name is obfuscated quite well(you dont know my login name from my forum or in game handles)

My password is complex and secure(thanks keepass)

most people i see get hacked get hacked because their character name is the same as their login name, and their passwords very simple......

or they give their info out to people they shouldnt.......

authenticators are a pain, cell phone cuts out alot of people world wide who dont have one or who cant use SMS due to cost(some places its still over a buck an sms from what i was reading recently)

some games use in game codes to protect your account like requiem, the login pin is a pain it the arse.....(try it yourself) but would do what you are asking.

my advice if your worried about account security, grab keepass and generate a very complex password
Getting a key logger on your computer is pretty easy, and in this game where your account name is a part of every character you make and displayed for all to see in simple chat.... well getting your login name isn't very hard now is it? That's more than half the battle.

As for having complex log-in options? Try ****'s code input when you select a character... that is annoying. WoW went a good step in this direction: You input your code once a week and no more unless your i.p. Changes or you log in from another computer.

But saying: Oh it's your fault you got hacked. Hey.... someone walked by your house and said: It looks decent.. I'll break in and steal stuff. How would you feel if the cops came by and said: Tough, it's your fault they broke into your house. Shouldn't have walked into it to show someone lives there! Seriously? Come on.... This is OLD business, companies get these authenticators because they do work in lowering account hacking. It is very surprising Cryptic doesn't have this.... I can already see massive problems with someone getting hacked, having their credit card account ***** to buy C-points and then going to town.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredpeon View Post
Agreed, and they need to support Windows Phone 7, iOS and Android. Many other MMOs offer this, such as RIFT, WoW, Star Wars The Old Republic, etc. This is long overdue and much needed. And to echo comments I've made before, do not exclude Windows Phone 7 please. The cost is no way $40-70 per player, since they would no doubt buy these in bulk, they should be reasonably cost effective. Furthermore, they could even implement these as apps, not physical tokens which would further reduce costs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Getting a key logger on your computer is pretty easy, and in this game where your account name is a part of every character you make and displayed for all to see in simple chat.... well getting your login name isn't very hard now is it? That's more than half the battle.

As for having complex log-in options? Try ****'s code input when you select a character... that is annoying. WoW went a good step in this direction: You input your code once a week and no more unless your i.p. Changes or you log in from another computer.

But saying: Oh it's your fault you got hacked. Hey.... someone walked by your house and said: It looks decent.. I'll break in and steal stuff. How would you feel if the cops came by and said: Tough, it's your fault they broke into your house. Shouldn't have walked into it to show someone lives there! Seriously? Come on.... This is OLD business, companies get these authenticators because they do work in lowering account hacking. It is very surprising Cryptic doesn't have this.... I can already see massive problems with someone getting hacked, having their credit card account ***** to buy C-points and then going to town.
if you dont have any protection from keyloggers, and are also trolling around the net clicking random links or downloading from questionable sources...your an idiot....

in 20+years as a computer tech I have seen keyloggers, and without exception it was user error/stupidity that caused it every time.

if your to stupid/lazy to take simple(free) precautions to protect your data/system, then it is your own damn fault if you get your accounts hacked/stolen and loose money/credits/exct.

and thats odd, my login has nothing to do with my name here, im @ashentech in game, and thats not even related to my login name......just asked my 3 friends who are playing and none of them have the same login name as @ handle.....i guess your "Doing it wrong" as they say.

my advice to anybody who's been hit by this kinda thing(keylogger exct) get a good free antivirus like microsoft security essentials or avast, or or or....

if your really dumb and download random crap grab threatfire and run it along side the above AV to boost your protection even more.....

again this stuffs pretty simple, and over the years my sympathy for people to stupid and/or lazy to learn some basics of system security has become non-existent, if your going to use a device, learn something about it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Getting a key logger on your computer is pretty easy, and in this game where your account name is a part of every character you make and displayed for all to see in simple chat.... well getting your login name isn't very hard now is it? That's more than half the battle. ..
But your account 'Handle' and account 'Name' are not one and the same... (And Cryptic recommends that if they are, then you should put in a Support Request to get that changed...) As an example. 'Grouchy.Otkau' is my Handle, but I use a completely different account name to login with...
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
If your forum name and your account name are the same, I would contact cs about.

My account name and forum name are two different names. Doogie is not my account name and if your account name is Tannlore CS would change your name since that is a security issue.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
But your account 'Handle' and account 'Name' are not one and the same... (And Cryptic recommends that if they are, then you should put in a Support Request to get that changed...) As an example. 'Grouchy.Otkau' is my Handle, but I use a completely different account name to login with...
thanks for posting this.

everybody i know who plays this has now confirmed that their @handle is not even related to their acct/login name.....so im guessing the above fellow needs to get in touch with support asap or hes gonna get bruitforce hacked by somebody....(no, not me, im honestly to lazy to bother.....)
Closed Thread